Looking for American made Torque Thrust style wheels - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 09, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Art

Looking for American made Torque Thrust style wheels

I'm looking for Torque Thrust style wheels for my 67, but am having a lot of difficulty finding ones that are American made. I have contacted American Racing, Rocket Brand Racing Wheels, and Vintage Wheel Works and they have replied that all their wheels are made of chinesium. They explained that the 2 piece wheels are assembled here from parts made in china, though. Anyone know of a TT style wheel that is made here, or am I stuck with more imported stuff since a domestic equivalent is not available?

Artie

67 Camaro
99 T/A Daily Driver

Previous:
67 Camaro Traded for my 98
68 Camaro Street/Strip
98 Camaro Race car Best ET 9.08 @ 152 1.18 60'

Dyno sheets don't win races, see you at the track
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 09, 09:29 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Re: Looking for American made Torque Thrust style wheels

Recheck your vintage contact. I am pretty sure they are completly made in the US. Now as for metal used, it's going to be hard to get away from China. The cost goes way up for the metals that make true US made parts. I work in the defence industry and we have to have metals for hardware and everything else that is American, it gets very expensive. I don't think that even the highest priced wheels will get you metal from the US, it could be a mix.

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 09, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Art

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Wheel Works
Hello Art,

Our one-piece wheels are cast over seas and our two-piece wheels are assembled in our facility in La Mirada, CA. All of our wheels go through a very strict QC and we stand strong behind them.

Thank you for your interest in our wheels,

Eli

Vintage Wheel Works
16450 Phoebe Ave.
La Mirada, CA 90638
(714)690-4700
Fax (714)690-4704
www.vintagewheelworks.com
Came right from the source. Note how they mention the 2 piece wheels are assembled in CA, when I called them they explained how the imported shells are pressed into the centers there. Center Line wheels are still USA, but they don't have a wheel choice that fits the bill for me.

Artie

67 Camaro
99 T/A Daily Driver

Previous:
68 Camaro Street/Strip

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 09, 07:30 AM
Senior Tech
Russ

Old wheels from a swap meet ?

Russ (RJ)
The Garlic Capital, Gilroy,CA

(sold June 15,2014) 1968 RS convertible that is not quite stock

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 09, 12:03 PM
Tech Team
Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj68RS View Post
Old wheels from a swap meet ?

Or craigslist -- that's where I found mine (they have MADE IN THE USA cast into the back of each wheel!)

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 09, 12:09 PM
Senior Tech

www.newgenwheels.com

They are two piece billet, fully machined right here in the USA. You can have them in any size you want, in any finish you want, and any backspace and bolt pattern you want. Completely custom built to fit your individual needs.

My nova with NewGen Splitters:

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 09, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Art

Thanks for the links. Craigslist near me has been dry as far as the wheels I want, I got a link via PM that looks like what I need. I'm going for the vintage look with this car so the big billet wheels don't fit the bill too well. I never thought it would be this hard to keep my money in the US

Artie

67 Camaro
99 T/A Daily Driver

Previous:
68 Camaro Street/Strip

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 09, 08:30 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

I've got the MB Wheels chrome "Old School" model. Lifetime warranty from Discount Tire. Got a set of 17" in 8" front and 9.5" rear with Z rated tires mounted, balanced, and shipped for under a grand. They make the correct backspacing for first gens which is sometimes hard to find without a custom order.

Not sure about where the Old School is made, but several of the MB models are made in Japan in the same factories as some OEM models and MB Wheels are only sold at Discount Tire. You can probably email Discount and ask. They're pretty responsive.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...=Car%2FMinivan

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 09, 06:01 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRGN View Post
Thanks for the links. Craigslist near me has been dry as far as the wheels I want, I got a link via PM that looks like what I need. I'm going for the vintage look with this car so the big billet wheels don't fit the bill too well. I never thought it would be this hard to keep my money in the US
New Gens start in a 15" step lip. Just fyi for other people, and we can powder coat the center matte grey if you want the not polished look.

Either way, good luck with your search.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 09, 08:14 AM
Senior Tech
Russ

Artie,

Can't blame you for wanting an old school look. I purposely went with 15" TorqThrust D's and 60 series tires for that reason, I wanted the tall tire look. I bought these 6 months ago from America's Tire Company and had them mount 225 and 245 BFG T/A's on them. I know they were not made in the USA but I couldn't be happier with the fit and the finished look.

Russ (RJ)
The Garlic Capital, Gilroy,CA

(sold June 15,2014) 1968 RS convertible that is not quite stock

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 10, 11:01 AM
Tiger

I just got off the phone with Jon,I assume the same Jon? Anyways I really like the thrashers but I will have to keep shopping on Craigslist...
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 10, 12:35 PM
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood

VWW wheels are top quality,I would re-consider those.
Eli & Rusty are great peeps to work with or just deal with Jon from driverzinc.

'67 Buick Skylark F/C "Ingenue" 8/10 HRM feature / 2/12 Gasoline (Swedish) feature
World's only Buick-powered Buick Funny Car!

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 13, 09:52 PM
Painter

I think I might have what you are looking for an original set of American racing wheels 15 7s rear 15 6 fronts they have been restored they have brand new tires less than 10 miles on them I would like to do the mb wheels old school in 17 front and 18 reading might consider selling my wheels call me 707 287 4788
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 13, 04:19 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

Russ. . . .now that looks great. The way first gen cars were designed to look. Some guys want big wheels, big brakes, expensive control arms this and that to drive to the show a dozen times a year. . . not even exercising those hi dollar components! Not that the stuff ins't cool! I bought a 05 Vette at auction for $19k to satisfy the need for new tech stuff. . . still got my 6 69's to remind me of the good ole days. . . oh well just an old guy talkin.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 13, 04:49 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Swap meets, craigslist, Ebay, the jalopy journal forums, etc. I bought these ET uni-lugs from an old local guy who told me he took them off a wrecked Dodge Charger in about 1973 and stored them in his barn. I had them bead blasted then painted them myself. 15x6 & 15x8 1/2. Building 40+ year old cars ain't always as easy as picking up the phone & ordering stuff or nearly as much fun... These wheels are probably as old as my Camaro. I paid $200 bucks for the set and the center caps, special lug nuts & washers are readily available on Ebay. I probably have $400 total invested including blasting, paint, lug nuts & caps, etc. What's getting harder everyday is finding good quality US made 15" performance style tires. These Coopers are still US made.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ET Wheels-1.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	41673   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	41681  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode