Lug nuts & wheel studs - is 4 turns sufficient? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 09, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bill

Lug nuts & wheel studs - is 4 turns sufficient?

I got some new 17 x 9.5" rims and lug nuts (acorn style) for the rears and wondering if they are secured good enough. I got 4.25 complete revolutions out of the lug nuts when torqued down. On the front wheels I got 7 revolutions. Are 4 revolutions enough for the back wheels. Should it make a difference I'm running 430hp at the fly with 12 bolt posi and 5 spd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 09, 07:05 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Lug nuts & wheel studs - is 4 turns sufficient?

Ask the wheel manufacturer on lug nut torque and torque to it. Make a run, say a few blocks, then recheck torque.

Check torque again a week later. Obviously, you don't want to overtorque as it will distort rotors/drums, pulsating pedal when brakes are applied.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 09, 07:22 AM
Senior Tech
Russ

The stock studs are 7/16 x 20tpi . At 20 threads per inch if you have 4.5 full turns on the nuts that is only about 1/4". I'd really suggest longer studs.

Russ (RJ)
The Garlic Capital, Gilroy,CA

(sold June 15,2014) 1968 RS convertible that is not quite stock

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 09, 07:27 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj68RS View Post
The stock studs are 7/16 x 20tpi . At 20 threads per inch if you have 4.5 full turns on the nuts that is only about 1/4". I'd really suggest longer studs.
I agree.

The nuts should be screwed on at least the diameter of the stud or threads be even with the face of the nut for proper engagement. I'd got with the second one unless they're closed end.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 09, 08:28 AM
Senior Tech
Todd

8 turns is the minimum from what I've read. Buy some new studs regardless if you can achieve the torque figure. Those wheels have to stay on there for years not a couple days. To little thread contact will cause fatigue and could turn out really bad.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 09, 09:22 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

It's common to need longer rear studs. I used NAPA #641-1615.

Robert

355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 09, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bill

Thanks for the feedback and confirming that I have a legitimate concern. I'll go with some longer studs.

Robert - thanks for the recommendation and NAPA part #. I'll see if I can round these up locally.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 09, 10:02 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Lots of good info on wheel studs, length, knurl diameter, part numbers, etc. in this thread:

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=108269

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 09, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bill

Thanks Al - I read that post and a little confused on what size knurl I need. I installed some Moser C-clip axles into my stock 12 bolt with an SS Brakes disc conversion. Will try and get the info. from Moser but if anybody else knows please let me know.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 09, 12:24 PM
Senior Tech

We use these on every install...

They are a ET conical. Basically, they have a .25" shoulder that reach into the wheel to grab a .25" more stud. Also, they give the wheel something a little better to center up on than just the 60 degree conical seat. We sell them for a 1.00 each when bought with a wheel set, or 1.25ea when bought separately. That might solve your problem for a whole lot less than pressing in new studs. Just an option...

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 09, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bill

Thanks Jon - that lugnut you got there would give me the extra 1/4 inch that would put me 1/16th past the diameter of the stud (7/16) and in line with what sounds to be the acceptable rule/standard. I just figured out I have 1 1/4" inch studs in there now and the next available is 1 3/4" which I believe would be slightly too long. I don't think I have another 1/2 inch left in the lug nut to suck that up. I'll be calling you. Thanks for the awesome idea that looks like will save me some extra work.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 09, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bill

I ordered 20 of these. Much better than the regular style conical lug nuts. I really appreciate you offering the help and solution Jon - you definitely saved me from busting a few knuckles. Thanks!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 09, 05:25 PM
Senior Tech

No problem, my pleasure to help! They shipped out today too, you should have already received an email from UPS with your tracking information. Let me know if you need help with anything in the future.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 09, 07:40 PM
Senior Tech
Todd

Good call Jon.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 09, 08:08 PM
Senior Tech
T

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverzInc View Post
We use these on every install...

They are a ET conical. Basically, they have a .25" shoulder that reach into the wheel to grab a .25" more stud. Also, they give the wheel something a little better to center up on than just the 60 degree conical seat. We sell them for a 1.00 each when bought with a wheel set, or 1.25ea when bought separately. That might solve your problem for a whole lot less than pressing in new studs. Just an option...
I'm a fan of these ET conical lug nuts too but one word of warning -- make sure you pack a set of your "old" lug nuts for your spare tire (if you run one) or at least check your spare with those lugs.... This is the kind of thing that's bad to find out after you get a flat and try to figure out how to bolt up your spare....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode