I've got a job for you guys. - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 09, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

I've got a job for you guys.

Wish me good luck.
This is gonna be a close one. I fear I'm off a quarter inch. The new slicks won't be here until Friday. They are 28X12.5X15 MT's. The section is listed at 12.6" on a 10" wheel. Here's the wheel. It has 5.5 BS. I had to relocate the bottom of the shock. It now has 1/8" clearance on both the wheel and J bolts. If the tire rubs, it'll be against the inner fender. Cornering doesn't count, these tires are slicks. I've got a set of Hoosiers picked out with the same thread width but 1" narrower section. Gotta wash the burnout mud.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 09, 05:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Re: I've got a job for you guys.

Fred good luck.

I don't think you will be able to fit a 12" slick back there and is that a stock 12-bolt wit disk or drum brakes. I thought a 9" slick was the tightest we can put back there.

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 09, 06:04 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

Fred... If you have long studs, put a 1/8 washer on the stud before the rim is mounted. If you have an 1/8th and add the washer the 1/4 inch total may be what the doctor ordered. Maybe

Kev

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 09, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Thanks Skip. My other set is ten inches wide on the tread. The MT spec's are narrower. Go figure? But they are only 26" tall (24" on car with 12psi) The side wall is only 4"! But they work OK. I just want MORE. Does that make me a drag racer? (And yes, original stuff)

Kevin, My studs are the minimum. I'll need new ones with any thicker hub/spacer. No sweat, probably time to change them anyway. And yes, It looks like a quarter inch out will work, but if I mount the tire to check, Summit says I own them. Can a tire be mounted so nobody can tell after it's pulled off?

And what do you guys think of this Hoosier? It's an INCH narrower on the same wheel with the same thread and a they're radial and don't need me to swap my inner tubes from the old set. That's $120 saved from swapping but the other set is worthless without tubes. Plus the MT tubes meant that I had to drill the valve stem boss to get the tube stem through the hole. Doesn't that wreck a wheel for any other stem? Why do they make them that way? And, of course, with the tubes still in my other set, they are ready to go whether to a swap meet or as a loner. (my son) hmm. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HOO-17317/
Here's the old ones. Take a peek while I call Summit. The lead time for another set, if all tires come out of Ohio is a week. That's cutting it close. And I can refuse the MT's. I refused a nearly identical set of wheels that came with the new set yesterday because of customer stupidity. (wrong BS)

)
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.

Last edited by Fred Ficarra; Sep 2nd, 09 at 09:09 AM.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 09, 08:59 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage

Based on the dimensions you posted it sounds like you ordered some ET Streets. I don't know if that will clear. It's gonna be real close Fred!

With stock wheel tubs I ran 28X10 Hoosier slicks on a 10" rim. The section width on them were right at 12.0". They would rub on the inside when I turned and rub slightly on the outside if I hit a decent bump.

Good luck!

'69 Camaro - 429 SBC Dart Iron Eagle 9.325" block, Crower crank, Crower 6" billet rods, Ross pistons (10:1), Total Seal rings, AFR 245 heads, T&D steel body shaft rockers, Cloyes Timing set, custom ground 4-7 swap solid roller 274/286 @ .050" with .704" lift, Dart single plane, Holley Dominator EFI on E85, Injector Dynamics ID2000 Injectors, Stef's #1705R oil pan, F2 Procharger, Lemons 2" primary 4" collector, ATI 9" blower converter
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 09, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Thanks Steve. Check out my previous post. I added more info and more questions.

)
128.79mph 1.428 60'

post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 09, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

And Steve, yeah, ET Streets. Also moving outboard would give me a little more clearance because the wheel wells were 'Portapowered' out by me 30 years ago. Can you tell? I picked up over a half inch.

)
128.79mph 1.428 60'

post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 09, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Steve, you convinced me. I checked with Summit. They won't be mad at me if I refuse the MT's because I don't make a habit of refusing their stuff and also tires and wheels can be a bitch to size right. The Hoosiers are on their way. And they are close, from Nevada, and that means the same arrival, on Friday as the MT's. This is so much fun.

)
128.79mph 1.428 60'

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 09, 09:48 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage

No, can't tell that you used a port-a-power on them! The Hoosiers will fit.

'69 Camaro - 429 SBC Dart Iron Eagle 9.325" block, Crower crank, Crower 6" billet rods, Ross pistons (10:1), Total Seal rings, AFR 245 heads, T&D steel body shaft rockers, Cloyes Timing set, custom ground 4-7 swap solid roller 274/286 @ .050" with .704" lift, Dart single plane, Holley Dominator EFI on E85, Injector Dynamics ID2000 Injectors, Stef's #1705R oil pan, F2 Procharger, Lemons 2" primary 4" collector, ATI 9" blower converter
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 09, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Cool. Thanks!

)
128.79mph 1.428 60'

post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 09, 10:39 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Eric

Fred, I just like you have always wanted as much tire as possible without butchering my all original sheetmetal 69 heres what works for me.hoosier is the only one that makes just the right size slick,its a10.0/29.0 15 and their quick time pro 29.0/11.5 15 are almost identical in size . I run them on a 8" weld wheel with 4 1/2 back space. they are 92-93 round (every set varies) are 12" at the sidewall and actually 11" at the tread although the wear pattern indicates im not using all of it because of the 8" wheel.My car at rest sits 27" floor to wheel opening mldg, slight roll of the factory lip and slight hammering of inner wheelhouse(nothing that can be detected from inside the trunk.At 11psi and a 135-136mph pass it will barely graze and blacken the mldng at the front of the wheelwell rocker area and the very back of the mldg at the rear lower 1/4.also rubs inner wheelhouse but not enough to mar or cut the sidewall.Been runnin this way for years never tore off a moulding or cut a tire.Out side side wall is extremely close but has never marked a tire.I cant imagine a tighter package .The 10" rim may cause the sidewall to bulge just a little too much.I might add i went through a lot of work to center the rear side to side and front to back in the opening.Sorry no picture posting yet,am working on it. eric

69 SS396 fathom green N/A525 833chrysler 4spd 3550# stock suspension 10.11/137mph
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 09, 10:50 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Eric

Sorry ,forgot to add the 275 radial will fit noproblem but if you really want them to work go with the M/T ET street radials . they are proven to be the best. Ive seen 7 sec passes on 275/60 s believe it or not.

69 SS396 fathom green N/A525 833chrysler 4spd 3550# stock suspension 10.11/137mph
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 09, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Yikes Eric! I've just got a lil ol' stocker,,,, But thank you.

)
128.79mph 1.428 60'

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 09, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Wow! Summit is COOL! I'm gonna refuse the MT's. That means Summit gets stuck with the freight both ways. I just called them and offered to pay the freight. They said 'no sweat, no need. It's not a high dollar expense'. What a great company!

)
128.79mph 1.428 60'

post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 09, 11:19 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Eric

Yeah, you say that but i see a pattern starting with you. 12.30s,12.20s ,teens now 11s. your gonna put slicks on it and go 11.50s .Next the track will tell you you need a roll bar.Then your good to 10.00s so youll build abigger motor so your almost in the 9s.Oh crap! I just described my last 15 years. loved every minute of it!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode