cleaning vintage ET wheels? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 09, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Andy

Send a message via AIM to 67SS&99SS
Question cleaning vintage ET wheels?

I found these wheels a while back at my uncles house and from what I can tell, they are 14x9 unilug ET IV wheels, but I do not know what they are made out of. Aluminum? Anyway, I was thinking about cleaning them up and would like to know what to use. Any ideas?

1967 Camaro SS: 406 sbc, 522hp/514 ft lbs, Doug's 1 3/4" headers, M20, posi, 3.73's, vintage air gen IV, IROC steering box, Comp Eng. weld-in sfc's & traction bars, chrome US Mags

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 09, 11:27 AM
Senior Tech
John

Re: cleaning vintage ET wheels?

Those look to be unsalvageable. Is that rotten aluminum? It looks to be really pitted.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 09, 01:59 PM
Senior Tech
Russ

You'll never get the OE satin finish back so..... start with a diluted muratic acid wash (pool acid). Then see if you can polish using a buffer and coarse grade compound. I like Mother's so I'd start with their metal polish, then mag wheel polish, then billet.

The other option is take them to a truck wash and let the guys their do their wheel magic. I've seen stops in LA turn the ugliest grimey Alcoas into things of beauty.

Russ (RJ)
The Garlic Capital, Gilroy,CA

(sold June 15,2014) 1968 RS convertible that is not quite stock

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 09, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Andy

Send a message via AIM to 67SS&99SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkbrau View Post
Those look to be unsalvageable. Is that rotten aluminum? It looks to be really pitted.
No, its just dirt/sludge.

1967 Camaro SS: 406 sbc, 522hp/514 ft lbs, Doug's 1 3/4" headers, M20, posi, 3.73's, vintage air gen IV, IROC steering box, Comp Eng. weld-in sfc's & traction bars, chrome US Mags

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 09, 09:59 PM
Senior Tech
BARRY

take them to some one that does powdercoating or rechroming and thay can dip them. if your lucky thay will come out looking very nice. you can send them to us and we will dip them for 30.00 plus shipping. you should be able to find someone closer just make sure thay give a sh*t about your parts
Barry

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode