Stored car.... tires and flat spots - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 09, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
Guess

Question Stored car.... tires and flat spots

For those of you who live in climates where the car goes to bed for 6 months....
Do you experience your tires getting flat or dead spots over those months? Or do you lift the car to get the tires off the ground?

I know what SHOULD be done.... I'm just wondering if it's common to get flat spots or if it depends on tire age, tire model, manufacturer, type of floor\ground, etc.
I hate the mount new tires and let it sit all Winter on the floor with no miles on them. And I don't want to put the car up on stands either because I'll be in and out of it often.

I'm just curious if it's a wives tale or a real concern.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 09, 04:17 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Re: Stored car.... tires and flat spots

This is gonna sound dumb, but, when i lived in syracuse and had my car in the garage for 8 months!!... Hahaha..i would roll my car forward a half of clock revolution at a time, every two weeks.. To prevent that..
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 09, 04:33 AM Thread Starter
Guess

Not dumb at all. Good idea.
Another reason I don't want to prop the car up in because now that the engine\trans is in it's putting full weight on the Hotchkis springs. I WANT that weight on the suspension.
I'll just wait till Spring and get the tires mounted. I'm just anxious to see what it's gonna look like and looking for excuses.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 09, 05:22 AM
Senior Tech
erik

It isn't uncommon for tires to flat spot due to its construction. The flat spots will go away once you drive the car and the tires get hot from normal driving. they will relax and you won't even know they had flat spotted. There is no reason to replace them for that. New cars at the dealership I work at sit for months at the time without being moved...lot rot...and once driven the problem corrects it self!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 09, 06:17 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Radial tires will become rounder quicker than a belted tire, but as said, once rolling and heat is generated, tires will be round.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 09, 06:59 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jack

Here in Phoenix I found that during the summer my tires will flat spot if I don't drive the car. I have 6 BFG tires now with minimal wear and permanent flat spots. I guess the 120 degree garage does not like the BFG's. They stay flat spotted......I have never been able to get rid of the flat spots and it does not happen to alll the tires??

67 RS
Royal Plum/Parchment
6.0 LSX 4L80e

06 corvette Z06
machine silver
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 09, 07:00 AM
Senior Tech

Not really an issue with modern radials; any flat spots go away soon after you start driving. Bias ply are a different story. I have never put any of my cars with radials up during storage, and it is not an issue.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 09, 06:34 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Pump 'em up to max rated pressure on the sidewall. If you've got it in your main garage, get yourself a set of tire skates too. It's nice getting the car against the wall to get an extra three feet of space in my garage.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 09, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Guess

Oh believe me, I get it CLOSE to the wall...... back and forth, back and forth until a fly can't get in there.
I have to..... the wife parks her salt-spewing, snow puking behemoth in there during the winter.
I'm thinking of erecting a temporary plywood wall I can set between the cars.

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 09, 02:32 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackr View Post
Here in Phoenix I found that during the summer my tires will flat spot if I don't drive the car. I have 6 BFG tires now with minimal wear and permanent flat spots. I guess the 120 degree garage does not like the BFG's. They stay flat spotted......I have never been able to get rid of the flat spots and it does not happen to alll the tires??
I have had the same problem with BFGs after letting a car sit - had to replace them.

69 Pace Car and 69 Hard top
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 09, 04:25 AM Thread Starter
Guess

Alrighty then! Guess I'm going to curb my enthusiasm and wait till Spring to mount the tires.

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 09, 04:30 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

My 69 sat for 8 months while I was waiting for a new engine build. The tires wound up permanently flat spotted.

Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv therapy program, Autogear M22, 8-pt cage, with a new 410! SOLD
New therapy program - 68 Coupe. Will be survivor exterior, modern underpinnings! SOLD
67 Belair with perfect floors, pinchwelds and firewall. Hmmm!
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 09, 04:31 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Quote:
Originally Posted by HwyStarJoe View Post
Alrighty then! Guess I'm going to curb my enthusiasm and wait till Spring to mount the tires.
PUT 4 SPARES ON HER FROM A JUNK YARD!! FOR NOW..
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 09, 05:43 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Oh believe me, I get it CLOSE to the wall...... back and forth, back and forth until a fly can't get in there.
I have to..... the wife parks her salt-spewing, snow puking behemoth in there during the winter.
Well put... you're not alone with this scene.

capt

Bumper sticker- I'm not SPEEDING
I'm QUALIFYING!
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 09, 06:00 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
No dollies? Just use a floor jack to move it. Piece of cake. No need to repetitively execute parallel parking techniques unless you need the practice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode