Help Ordering wheels for my 68 this week - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 09, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Help Ordering wheels for my 68 this week

I'm trying to order some wheels by this week.(chance to get a 10% discount). I just ran into a small problem with my wheel setup. I currently have Torque-Thrust II wheels. The rears are 17x8 with a 4 inch back-spacing. they fit OK but I'm getting a new strange 9" with an overall length of 59 inches. so its about 1 inch less than stock. The car is not mini tubbed. however, i have flared my fenders a bit. I have about 13 inches from the inner wheel to the fender.

What back spacing would work best for me? I'm thinking about 4.75 inches with a 10 inch wheel. Is that about right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 09, 06:19 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Re: Help Ordering wheels for my 68 this week

A lot of people here (myself included) run a 9.5" rim with 5.5" backspacing. If you're losing a half inch on each side, you may want to stay around 5" or less. At 4.75" like you're thinking you'd probably be good. Drop a plumb line from your fender lip and measure to the face of the brake drum to see what you've got on the "front" side taking into account the half inch or so that's going to come off once you do the new rear. Do the same thing from the frame and the front of the brake drum taking into account that bumps on one side are going to make the wheel "pivot" so leave a little on the table.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 09, 06:24 AM Thread Starter

Thanks steiner
I forgot to mention that I bought wilwood brakes for the rear also.

I was originally planning to mini tub my car, but sadly body shops in my country can't do/haven't done that before. I it was easier to do the flares. Anyway,during my research on mini tubbing, i found that people are getting about 14 inches between the inner well and the fender lip . I already have 13 inches, does that mean i can maybe get away with a 305 tire on a 17 or 18 wheel?

Last edited by zooq; Nov 12th, 09 at 07:09 AM.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 09, 06:30 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Well, it'll have an installed width of 12" so if you get your backspacing dead on I don't see why not. I don't have a problem with my 275's and they're just a little under 11".

Sounds like it's going to be some guess work if you're ordering the rims before you get the rear and brakes in. If you err on the side of too much backspacing, at least spacers can move it back out.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode