Hotchkis/wheel-tire combo - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 09, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
mark

Hotchkis/wheel-tire combo

heres the deal...i recently put the hotchkis tvs system(minus rear sway bar) in my 68 camaro...just put the wheels/tires on and the front tires are hitting the rear lower fenderwell when turning sharply..just sitting still...basiclly undriveable ..the tires/wheels i got are rev 17x9 with nitto 275/40's on the rear(5.25" backspace)...and 17x8 with nitto 235/45's on the front..(4.75" backspacing).....as its sitting ..the mearsurement from center of wheel to top lip of fenderwell is 14.5" ....the car is sitting level...the rear tires fit good.....i thought i researched this issue thourghly...but i guess not...the guy will trade the tires out for smaller diameter for nothing...but if its a wheel issue,i'll have to eat the front wheels...

p.s.....the car was originally a 6 cylinder car but was restored (clone rs/ss) with a 396...i put the big block hotchkis 2" drop coils in front....dont know if that info is usefull or not

HELP!!

thanks,mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel well.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	13108  

Last edited by bohuntr; Dec 1st, 09 at 01:02 PM. Reason: forgot something
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 09, 02:39 PM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to Satatic
Re: hotchkis/wheel-tire combo

I would check the subframe alignment. One of my tires use to nip one of the bolts. I lined up the pin holes first then hung strings and got it within 1/16th and didnt have that problem anymore.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 09, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
mark

the tire does seem to be back of center of the fenderwell a bit...but its the same on both sides of car....is there anything i can do about that?...

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 09, 05:05 PM
Senior Tech
Kip

I have the hotchkis stuff too.... I am in the process of measuring for wheels.... and I am pretty sure there is no way i could run 4.75" backspacing without incurring the same issure.... just too much sticking out to make it past that point on the fender....
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 09, 05:22 PM
Senior Tech

Well my car is not sitting on springs right now it has blocks between the lower a-arm and frame. But I took a measurement and I have 14.5 from the center to the bottom edge of the wheel lip. So we are the same there by some coincidence. So I took another measurement. From the center of the spindle stragiht back to the inside edge of the fender, right by the last bolt I measured whatever is halfway between 15.5 and 15.75. So check out your measurement on that.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 09, 05:34 PM
Senior Tech

Also https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=153144
Post #2 and #6 contain cars that have 17x8 4.75 backspace on the front.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 09, 05:54 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Mark,
Something has got to be off or not right. Hotchkis 2" drop on 17x8 rims w/4.75BS on 235/45 Nitto555 is very common if not the most common setup here. If I am not mistaken that's exactly what Dennis (Administrator) is/was running along with bunch of other guys. I compiled just about every wheel and tire thread on here back when I was doing my research and remember this. Are you sure the BS on the rims is correct? Have you measured it? Looking at the pic, you can clearly see something is not right.

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 09, 06:58 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Mark,
Forgot to mention, I have Global West springs on my 68 that claim to lower the car 1.5 inches. They have settled now and itís more like 2 inches for sure. Also,

My 457.2 mm rim (18 inches)
My 202.5 mm total side wall (225 x 0.45 x 2)
Thatís a total of 659.7 mm

Your 431.8 mm rim (17 inches)
Your 211.5 mm total side wall (235 x 0.45 x 2)
Thatís a total of 643.3

In theory, my setup is 16.4 mm (0.65 inches) wider/taller if you were to look at the tire/rim as the below picture shows. Now look at my gaps compared to yours. Itís like day and night, something is not adding upÖ

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 09, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
mark

ok the mearsurements as compared to your setup: where yours says 25.25"...mine is 26" ....yours 2.875"...mine 2.625" ....1.875"....mine 2.25" ....13.375"...mine 14.5" .....3.5" mearsurement is same as mine

i think the wheel needs to be setting back in the fenderwell more(more backspacing than 4.75".)...i may be wrong.....i just dont know...i dont know who set up the front end on this car....there seems to be plenty more room to allow for more backspace

thanks,mark

the pic i put in the first post is with wheel turned....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wheel 2.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	13120   Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel 3.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	13121  

Last edited by bohuntr; Dec 2nd, 09 at 08:22 AM. Reason: forgot something
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 09, 09:45 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Got ya. I didn't realize the wheel was turned in the initial pic. OK, then BS may be the issue after all. Even though 4.75 is common on 8 inch wheel it may be a bit too little for your wheels. All cars are slightly different as are the wheels. Below is a recent thread (first link) on the widest wheels for a 67. The front specs suggest 8 inch with 4.875 or 5 inch BS which in your case would set the wheel "in" more potentially eliminating the issue.

Do both sides rub? If not, then there is a chance the front clip is misaligned and potentially could be re-centered, hopefully eliminating your issue.

Narrower tires is your second option. Checkout the second link below. JohnnyMac (John) had a rub issue as well with the exact same rim/tire/BS as you have. He tried several things but what solved his issue was going to 215/45/17 front tires.

Of course your third option is new wheels with deeper BS. I would personally try the smaller tires first as that option is free based on what you said and we're talking about a 20mm difference (.77 inch) on a 235 vs 215 which IMO is not that noticeable. You may try 225 tires but that may not be enough in your case. If you do decide to go with new wheels, just keep in mind that too much BS can be fixed by a $7 spacer. Too little BS can't be fixed, and that ainít no BS!

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=168809
https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=160013

Matt

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 09, 09:46 AM
Senior Tech

Have you had it realigned after the changes, and if so what are your camber/caster/toe settings?

Can't get much of an idea from your pics, but a lot of positive caster will move the top of the wheel/tire toward the back of the car, and a lot of negative camber will move the top of the wheel/tire toward the centerline of the car.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 09, 09:48 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Got ya. I didn't realize the wheel was turned in the initial pic. OK, then BS may be the issue after all. Even though 4.75 is common on 8 inch wheel it may be a bit too little for your wheels. All cars are slightly different as are the wheels. Below is a recent thread (first link) on the widest wheels for a 67. The front specs suggest 8 inch with 4.875 or 5 inch BS which in your case would set the wheel "in" more potentially eliminating the issue.

Do both sides rub? If not, then there is a chance the front clip is misaligned and potentially could be re-centered, hopefully eliminating your issue.

Narrower tires is your second option. Checkout the second link below. JohnnyMac (John) had a rub issue as well with the exact same rim/tire/BS as you have. He tried several things but what solved his issue was going to 215/45/17 front tires.

Of course your third option is new wheels with deeper BS. I would personally try the smaller tires first as that option is free based on what you said and we're talking about a 20mm difference (.77 inch) on a 235 vs 215 which IMO is not that noticeable. You may try 225 tires but that may not be enough in your case. If you do decide to go with new wheels, just keep in mind that too much BS can be fixed by a $7 spacer. Too little BS can't be fixed, and that ain’t no BS!

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=168809
https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=160013

Matt

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 09, 01:41 PM
Senior Tech

I dont think your backspace is 4.75. Take the wheel off and lay it down, measure the wheel to the mating surface, not the edge of the lip but where your bead sits. See what you come up with.
http://www.wheelsmaster.com/rt_specs.jsp
This is what I use to compare.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 09, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
mark

the car apears to have 69 rotors on it..and possibly spindles...dont know...do they stick out more than a 68?...turns out the guy at the tire place is gonna "make it right" without costing me any more money...oh...the wheels have zero offset...he is ordering different wheels and tires to try to find something that works...the wheels he ordered have offset(dont know how much..or if the offset is positive or negative)...he also ordered 225's and 215's to see what works.(but i think they are 40's instead of 45's)...i dont wanna go much shorter on the tire,because with the 235's..the car sits level...looks great.....

i hate to seem like such a dumb-a--....sorry

thanks again,mark
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wheel 6.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	13127   Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel 5.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	13128  
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 09, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
mark

dont think your backspace is 4.75. Take the wheel off and lay it down, measure the wheel to the mating surface, not the edge of the lip but where your bead sits. See what you come up with

thats the first thing i checked when i took the tire/wheel off was the backspacing on the new wheels...4.75".....offset is zero

thanks,mark

Last edited by bohuntr; Dec 2nd, 09 at 01:50 PM. Reason: forgot something again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode