18" TT2 question - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 09, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
GEARHEAD

18" TT2 question

Hi All,
Do you know if it is still possible to order custom 18" TT2s in full chrome versus polished?
Thanks

Kelvin
1969 RS Z/28
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 09, 01:42 PM
Senior Tech
Gav

Re: 18" TT2 question

Quote:
Originally Posted by KELVINATOR View Post
Hi All,
Do you know if it is still possible to order custom 18" TT2s in full chrome versus polished?
Thanks
Kelvin , try Jon or Justin at 'driverz inc' they will point you in the right direction

RHD 69' 8 STACK INJECTED 383,FAST ECU, TREMECT56 6 SPEED, ATS ,SPEEDTECH, QA1s, HOTCHKIS, RUSHFORTHS , MOSER POSI 3.7, MAGNAFLOWS, ETC ETC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 09, 02:24 PM
Tech Team
Mitchell

No full chrome,you can get chrome centers and polished outers with the TT 2.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 09, 05:16 PM
Senior Tech

Thanks Gav for the referral.

Yes, you can only get the centers chromed, and the the outers (or hoops, or wheel lips) will only come polished. And every set I've ever seen done this way look like dog poop.

The center will reflect light, and be a totally different finish then the wheel lips, and its a major difference, especially as you put a few years on them.

We could send the whole wheel out to be chromed for you, and order them in full polished, but two piece wheels, just DO NOT like to be chromed. Air gets trapped between the center section, and the outer, and more times than not they begin to turn yellow and peel from where the two pieces meet. They might look great at first, but over time, will more than likely become an issue.

I would suggest, if you want a fully chromed wheel, that we do a Foose Legend for you, as they come in 18's, and in the most common sizes that our kind of cars take... like 7's 8's and 9's, and they are a fully chromed one piece wheel.

Let me know if we can be of service to you!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 09, 10:11 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverzInc View Post
Thanks Gav for the referral.

Yes, you can only get the centers chromed, and the the outers (or hoops, or wheel lips) will only come polished. And every set I've ever seen done this way look like dog poop.

The center will reflect light, and be a totally different finish then the wheel lips, and its a major difference, especially as you put a few years on them.

We could send the whole wheel out to be chromed for you, and order them in full polished, but two piece wheels, just DO NOT like to be chromed. Air gets trapped between the center section, and the outer, and more times than not they begin to turn yellow and peel from where the two pieces meet. They might look great at first, but over time, will more than likely become an issue.

I would suggest, if you want a fully chromed wheel, that we do a Foose Legend for you, as they come in 18's, and in the most common sizes that our kind of cars take... like 7's 8's and 9's, and they are a fully chromed one piece wheel.

Let me know if we can be of service to you!
Absolutly agree!! As the wheels age there is a significant difference in the wear of the two finishes. Not sure why AR doesn't simply offer a true two piece chrome but take the above advice. At least with polish you can have them refinished to like new condition as I recently did. Cost out here 100 per wheel including full inside of wheel.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 09, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
GEARHEAD

Thanks for the info guys! After looking at tons of pics, I thought I knew what I wanted. Now, I'm not so sure. Decisions,decisions...

Kelvin
1969 RS Z/28
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 09, 03:46 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Good question, never thought of the two clashing like that!!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 09, 06:45 AM
Tech Team
Mitchell

Jon touched on the issues facing chroming the two piece wheels. We have sold alot of the chrome centered/polished outers, not my favorite.
Along with the Foose Legends, you might want to look at the Rocket Fuel Chrome and Booster Chrome!! They offer user friendly backspacings.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 09, 08:58 AM
Senior Tech
Dante'

Quote:
Hi All,
Thanks
Try www.hotrodheavan.com

69 Camaro SS
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 09, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
GEARHEAD

Rocket fuel chromes look nice but do not offer them in 18". I know I'm going against the grain, but I think I like the stepped lip rim over the fat lips wheels in the TT2 style.

Kelvin
1969 RS Z/28
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 09, 09:08 AM
Tech Team

The classic styling of the TTII's are hard to beat. I was confronted with the same problem and ended up placing the order for 18inch polished TTII's. Also, the wait is around 3 months for the custom shop orders.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 09, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
GEARHEAD

I'm contemplating running this combo based on a post by Frank from ProdigyCustoms (sponsor) awhile back. Frank said something about a shallower front rim tends to "look" bigger than wider rear rims even though they are not. So based on this logic:

front - polished TT2s 17 x 8 (235/45/17)
rears - polished TT2s 18 x 9.5 (275/40/18)

235/45R17
Section Width: 9.25 in
Rim Diameter: 17 in
Rim Width Range: 7.5 - 9 in
Overall Diameter: 25.32 in
Sidewall Height: 4.16 in

275/40R18
Section Width: 10.82 in
Rim Diameter: 18 in
Rim Width Range: 9 - 11 in
Overall Diameter: 26.66 in
Sidewall Height: 4.33 in

What do you guys think? I'm thinking with all the people running TT2s out they, someone must have tried a similar combo. Any pictures would be awesome!

thanks!

Kelvin
1969 RS Z/28

Last edited by KELVINATOR; Dec 8th, 09 at 12:54 AM.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 09, 08:24 PM

Quote:
I'm contemplating running this combo based on a post by Frank from ProdigyCustoms (sponsor) awhile back. Frank said something about a shallower front rim tends to "look" bigger than wider rear rims even though they are not. So based on this logic:

front - polished TT2s 17 x 8 (235/45/17)
rears - polished TT2s 18 x 9.5 (275/40/18)

235/45R17
Section Width: 9.25 in
Rim Diameter: 17 in
Rim Width Range: 7.5 - 9 in
Overall Diameter: 25.32 in
Sidewall Height: 4.16 in

275/40R18
Section Width: 10.82 in
Rim Diameter: 18 in
Rim Width Range: 9 - 11 in
Overall Diameter: 26.66 in
Sidewall Height: 4.33 in

What do you guys think? I'm thinking with all the people running TT2s out they, someone must have tried a similar combo. Any pictures would be awesome!

thanks!
I have the 18" tt2's on my Car and they have the chrome centers with the polished rim. I like them as most of the polished centers I have seen don't seem to be kept as nice as the outer rim probably because they are harder to polish around the lug nuts. Thats why I chose the chrome centers. I try to keep my rim portions well polished and they match the chrome centers pretty well. I have had my wheels a couple of years now and they still look good. I have 18" x 10" on the rear and 18" x 8" on the front of mine. Sorry about the pictures not being the best but they are the only ones I have showing the wheels right now.

Last edited by hotz28kid; Dec 8th, 09 at 08:30 PM. Reason: pictures did't go through
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 09, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
GEARHEAD

Wicked ride! What size tires are you running?

Kelvin
1969 RS Z/28
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 09, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Wicked ride! What size tires are you running?
I am running 245/40/18 on the front and 275/40/18 on the rear. They are BFG g-force T/A KD tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode