69 Camaro SS 396 What Wheels/tires to run - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 09, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Tom

69 Camaro SS 396 What Wheels/tires to run

We are doing a correct nut and bolt rotissary restoration on a 69 Camaro 396 375 HP car. It is a real SS Huggar Orange Big Block car built in October of 68. Our question is what wheels and tires to run. Options are Ralley wheels, Torque Thrust, or the SS Camaro/Chevelle style wheels. For the tires we cannot decide weather to run BF Goodrich radial TAs or Goodyear Biased ply factory correct tires (they do not ride great but look good). I do not want to hurt the investment of the car with the type of wheels/tires we select. You input is appreciated. Thanks Team Camaro.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 09, 09:28 AM
kt
Senior Tech
kelly

Re: 69 Camaro SS 396 What Wheels/tires to run

run two sets, one for shows and one for driving, the ss style and ta's for driving(ifs its going to be driven) and the rallies and horrible driving bias plys for shows..??..

I like the ss style rims, thats what is on my car...
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 09, 10:39 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Wanna hear about what came with your car? At least, could have come with your car? Yes? OK!
My car, same setup. Norwood, May. I didn't order any wheel options because mags were going on as soon as the money was available. The car came with steel 14X7" wheels and F70 Uniroyal raised white letter Tiger Paws. Still have the wheels and tires, including the spare that's never been used.
And as to whether or not to use them, consider they are bias. The tread was showing on the fronts at 11,500 miles. The rears were still OK with this kid barking rubber all over town.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 09, 02:28 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by kt View Post
run two sets, one for shows and one for driving, the ss style and ta's for driving(ifs its going to be driven) and the rallies and horrible driving bias plys for shows..??..

I like the ss style rims, thats what is on my car...
agreed. I spent forever looking for real s.s. rims and they don't exist. they're like Big Foot. wonder how many came with s.s. rims? The s.s rims give you the 5 spoke, vintage look. that's how I'd go.

|
|
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 09, 09:06 PM
Senior Tech
Brian

All but sure the 5 spoke SS rims weren't out in Oct '68. I think they came out later in the production year, like July '69.

Experience...... It's what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 09, 01:41 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Denis

I restored mine "correct" too. These are the wheels and tires that would've come with the car new:

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 09, 08:27 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejaygee View Post
I restored mine "correct" too. These are the wheels and tires that would've come with the car new:

I thought those hubs would have only come on COPOs (?) I thought I had the proper hubs! lol. I miss my wide ovals but they wern't the best handling tires.
great looking car!

|
|
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 09, 11:53 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Sure wish mine would have come with Goodyear's,,,

)
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 09, 11:52 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

... still curious about this. I thought only COPOs came with the colored metal rims and dish????

|
|
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 09, 08:42 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Denis

Quote:
Originally Posted by okiemark View Post
... still curious about this. I thought only COPOs came with the colored metal rims and dish????
Nope, not just COPOs. My L78 is a Canadian car. I was able to get GM Historical Services document detailing how and where it was delivered new. The photo above is what it looked like originally. It wasn't easy, nor cheap, to find dated XT rims so even though they look great I sometimes wish I could've kept the rallys that were on there when I bought the car but I'm a stickler for originality.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 09, 02:17 AM
Senior Tech
Garth

Quote:
Originally Posted by okiemark View Post
My folks 68 RS 210 PG came new with body colored rims & "dog dish" hub caps....From what I understand, they were standard on all Camaros except Z28 & Pacecars, but most folks upgraded to one of the optional style full wheel covers or rallys, so the DD caps weren't all that common. jmo, but I like their look much better than any of the full wheel covers

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 09, 04:09 AM
Kevin

you have to remember, the Factory ordering sheets were all about ordering higher priced options, they didn't really say what came with the car. You have to really dig into the brochures to figure it out. The lazy buyer, just checked off a few boxes that they wanted without really looking and got the "default" wheel (steels). I think the steelies were more common than we think.

Kevin

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 09, 08:36 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
john

Weren't most of the cars that came with Steelies and Dog-dishes, fitted with trim rings also?
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 09, 10:04 AM
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5speed502 View Post
Weren't most of the cars that came with Steelies and Dog-dishes, fitted with trim rings also?
Dont think so. The style trim option might have played in there somewhere or they were dealer add-ons

Kevin

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 09, 11:16 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5speed502 View Post
And don't confuse what came on most cars with what was standard equipment. Dog dish and 14" steel was standard on almost all versions of 69's unless it was a Z.

)
128.79mph 1.428 60'

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode