Tall and wide - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 09, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Tall and wide

Looking at the Boss 338 wheels for my 68 Camaro. The rear will be a 18x9.5 with a 5 backspace. My car is still on the rotisserory and I'm not scared to do any cutting and welding . I have a 9" Ford rear that is 58.25 wide that I will be putting LS1 disk brakes on, so it should be a little wider. If I am doing my math right, a 5" back space should be about perfect with this setup. It should give me enough room to be able to use a small spacer to get the wheel out just right. Does this sound right ? Also thinking of running a 295/45/18 Nitto on the back. I know this is a big tire ( 28" tall ) but I would really like to get the tire to tuck up in the quarter a little. I know that I'll have to modify the tubs some but do you think this is even possible or has it been done before?
Thanks, Dion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 09, 09:47 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Re: Tall and wide

I think that the 295 might give you a little bit of a bubble effect, I would stick with a 275 myself.....but i've been wrong before...

Steve
67 Camaro RS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 09, 03:41 AM Thread Starter

The 275 only comes in a 40 series and they are not even 26"s tall. I'm looking to fill up the quarter.
Dion

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 09, 07:38 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Tall and wide

The back spacing sounds about right for a stock axle. Where is your 58.25" dimension of ? if it is overall... it is too short. Or do you plan on tubbing it ?

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 09, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

The 58 is outside axle flange to flange. I know that 60 is the stock width. I am thinking about putting the shorter rear in it and going to run less backspace for a deeper looking wheel. I've got a stock 8.5 10 bolt posi rear and a ford 9" that is 58.25 wide. Just have not made up my mind on what to do yet. Would love to see a 28" tall tire under a 68. I don't mind cutting the tubs and modifying them so I can get the tire to tuck a little in the quarter. The car is going to be a custom anyway. LS1, 4l60, ford 9", 02 interior, blah blah blah.
Thanks, Dion
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 09, 07:35 PM
Senior Tech
Frank

4.75 BS, 5" will be too much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode