Will this combination work? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 09, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Jimmy

Will this combination work?

Just got my 1st 69 don't know much about 1st gen and so on but will find out as I go along. I do want to run bigger tires and rim looking at your site I see guys running big rims. This is what I want but I don't want to tub are alter my car. Please let me know if this will work. All rims are TT 2 Front 17x7 bs 4" Rear 17x9.5 bs 5.5 I need help on this if I order the rear rims and they want fit I am SOL can't send them back
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 09, 04:18 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bri

Re: Will this comb work

here is one with

four GT Sport rims, 17x8 (4.75-inch backspacing) up front and 17x10 (5.50-inch backspacing)

"Three Rules of Work: Out of clutter find simplicity; From discord find harmony; In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity."

Albert Einstein

"Never Forget" FDNY 9/11/01

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have more than 4 Camaro's am I Addicted?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 09, 04:29 PM
6D9
Senior Tech
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarpon Man View Post
Just got my 1st 69 don't know much about 1st gen and so on but will find out as I go along. I do want to run bigger tires and rim looking at your site I see guys running big rims. This is what I want but I don't want to tub are alter my car. Please let me know if this will work. All rims are TT 2 Front 17x7 bs 4" Rear 17x9.5 bs 5.5 I need help on this if I order the rear rims and they want fit I am SOL can't send them back

That will fit just perfect.

69 Camaro
491/AFR 315'S/Straub hyd roller
TH400/GV OD
9" 3.50

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 09, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Jimmy

First things first thanks for to reply. You have a 4.75 bs up front I want to use a 4.0 bs will this work are do I need the 4.75. It looks like the 17x9.5 with a 5.5 bs will work for me. [Right] you have a 10 " tire on your car and did you do any fab work to make all this work.

Thanks
Tarpon Man
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 09, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Jimmy

Thanks for your help,, That what I needed to know it will work.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 09, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Jimmy

Thanks 6D9 for your help.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 09, 04:41 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bri

The one i posted is a pic and the specs so you can see what they look like.

6D9 says your choice is perfect. Run with what you have, don't change it unless you want to. We give you options, and personal experience.

If the rims you are going to buy what you want go for it.

"Three Rules of Work: Out of clutter find simplicity; From discord find harmony; In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity."

Albert Einstein

"Never Forget" FDNY 9/11/01

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have more than 4 Camaro's am I Addicted?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 09, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Jimmy

Thanks I'am not sure what to run on it but I think I want the spec I said but I need to know from your experience if they will work and not have to modifiy my car. Thank yall for your needed info.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 09, 10:10 PM
6D9
Senior Tech
Ron

With my 18x8's I ran 5" bs. So your 17x7's with 4" bs will stick out the exact same as mine. Both have 3" sticking out past the wheel mount surface. The rears 17x9.5's work perfect with 5.5" bs. You are good to go! With the 17x7 inch wheels I would run either a 225/50/17 or 235/45/17.

69 Camaro
491/AFR 315'S/Straub hyd roller
TH400/GV OD
9" 3.50
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 09, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
Jimmy

Re: Will this combination work?

Thanks 6D9 for your help as soon as I can get them I will post a pic of the car. It looks like I have to wait 4 weeks for the 17x9.5 rear.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 09, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Jimmy

6D9 I was toled by dave at Coy's rims I would have to roll my rear fender wells up to run the 17x9.5. What do you think about this
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 09, 03:54 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
6D9 I was toled by dave at Coy's rims I would have to roll my rear fender wells up to run the 17x9.5. What do you think about this
Most here will tell you that a 17x9.5" 5.5BS will work perfect. It's probably the most common size and backspace used. However, every car is different. Measure from the axle flange to inner wheelhouse on both sides. In many cases, the rearend in these cars is shifted slightly to one side. This can cause the 17x9.5" combo to rub the inner well on one side and the outer lip on the other side. The only way to know for sure is to measure your specific car.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 09, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Jimmy

Neil
I understand if it rubs the outer side I can cut are bend it up. If it rubs the inner well what can I do to fit this.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 09, 05:20 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Neil
I understand if it rubs the outer side I can cut are bend it up. If it rubs the inner well what can I do to fit this.
You can add a thin spacer, but that may require longer wheel studs.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 09, 05:54 PM
Senior Tech
Jeremiah

Quote:
Like mentioned earlier, no two cars are the same and measurements/specs will vary from car to car. I have 17/9.5 with 5.5 BS TT2's on my wifes car with 275/40 tires and they fit perfectly. If you turn into a drive way at an angle they rub on the inside well slightly but no chance of damaging anything.

At the most I have seen a few that had to trim a 1/4" off the outer wheel well lip/flange. This doesnt affect the structural integrity since your not disturbing any spot welds and your not removing enough that it doesnt still look factory.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode