Tires/wheels - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 09, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
mark

Tires/wheels

this is the front tire/wheel combo that i ended up with....nitto 225/40/17...rev 17x7 4.5" backspace....not real happy with the way it looks,but at least the tires don't rub at all....they sorta look like go-cart size stuff to me.....but i want some opinions...

225/45's rubbed almost as bad as the 235/45's...who ever set the front end up must have done something wrong.....i dont know....i guess i'll worry about it after i get the tranny and rear end done.......does it look awefull?.....be honest

the rears are nitto 275/40/17's on rev 17x9 wheels...5.25" backspace

oh...its also got the hotchkis tvs system(minus rear sway bar)

thanks,mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camaro 2.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	13361   Click image for larger version

Name:	camaro 1.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	13362   Click image for larger version

Name:	camaro 3.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	13363  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 09, 03:32 PM
Senior Tech
Bill

Re: tires/wheels

Nice lookin car - love that black & hockey stripe combo on a '68 and w/the RS option - even better!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 09, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68RS-SS View Post
Nice lookin car - love that black & hockey stripe combo on a '68 and w/the RS option - even better!
im guessing that hockey stripe was not an option on a 68 rs/ss...i don't know

or do have one just like it?

mark

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 09, 02:05 PM
Senior Tech
Bryan

Mark,

Car looks very good, but you say you aren't happy with it. Is it possibly that the car is too high even with the Hotchkis TVS kit? That's where I'm at - lowering springs that aren't low enough in the front and I'm at a loss at what to do with the rears. My fronts are 1" too high with 2" lowering springs, and if I put Hotchkis 1.5" rears on, it will sit at the same height as my old worn monos according to Hotchkis. Their new 3" springs might be too much....?

I don't know what it is, but it seems Hotchkis is inconsistent. The measurements they sent me are not what I got, and I know they are installed correctly. I didn't think much of it, hoping they would settle, but hardly any change in 4+ months. Some cars sit perfect, but too many people say they cut the springs to get the correct drop.

Bryan
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 09, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryans68 View Post
Mark,

Car looks very good, but you say you aren't happy with it. Is it possibly that the car is too high even with the Hotchkis TVS kit? That's where I'm at - lowering springs that aren't low enough in the front and I'm at a loss at what to do with the rears. My fronts are 1" too high with 2" lowering springs, and if I put Hotchkis 1.5" rears on, it will sit at the same height as my old worn monos according to Hotchkis. Their new 3" springs might be too much....?

I don't know what it is, but it seems Hotchkis is inconsistent. The measurements they sent me are not what I got, and I know they are installed correctly. I didn't think much of it, hoping they would settle, but hardly any change in 4+ months. Some cars sit perfect, but too many people say they cut the springs to get the correct drop.

Bryan
when i first put the f/r springs on...the car didnt sit level..side to side.....(but after i drove it a coupla miles it leveled itself out.)...the rear lowering springs actually raised it up an inch.(replaced badly worn out springs...they even had a broken second leaf in on both sides)..the front springs lowered the front end at least 2",maybe 2.5"..i'm happy with the height of the car ..seems to sit nice to me....i'm just unhappy with the small size of front tire i had to use in order to not rub...but thats not an issue with the hotchkis stuff....its a combination of things...not just offset/backspace.(castor/subframe alignment?)..but i'll dig deeper into that mystery after i get the trans put in....btw...i didnt buy the "tvs" system...i bought the front and rear springs seperate...as well as the front sway bar...saved a few bucks...i dont know if that makes any difference.....but my ride height seems fine....if you've got a sbc in your car,and mistakenly got bbc springs..that could be the problem on the front end,at least

btw,if thats your car on your profile....is it before or after you put the hotchkis spring on?...looks pretty dam kick-a$$ to me!!!

mark

Last edited by bohuntr; Dec 20th, 09 at 01:30 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 09, 02:27 PM
Senior Tech
Bryan

Mark,

Thanks for the comment!

Yes, the profile pic is after springs and a complete front end rebuild.

Mine are 245/45/17 Fronts and 275/40/17 Rears. I did Hotchkis springs, Hotchkis sway bar, Bilstein shocks, new Power Discs. Next up is the rear...not sure what to do there...

Bryan
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 09, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
mark

245/45's?.....whats the backspacing/offset on those weels?....are they 8"'s?

mark

__________________________________________________ _____________________________
'68 RS/SS 468 BBC.. hotchkis suspension.. TKO600..12 bolt...3.73's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 09, 03:53 PM
Senior Tech
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohuntr View Post
im guessing that hockey stripe was not an option on a 68 rs/ss...i don't know

or do have one just like it?

mark
No idea on factory options as I'm not too "fussy" about "correctness." After the original paint on mine had blacked out tail panel and bumble-bee stripe decided to re-paint w/o any stripes. That stripe looks damm good on yours though - that's the only point I'm making.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 09, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68RS-SS View Post
No idea on factory options as I'm not too "fussy" about "correctness." After the original paint on mine had blacked out tail panel and bumble-bee stripe decided to re-paint w/o any stripes. That stripe looks damm good on yours though - that's the only point I'm making.
thanks...i'm the same way about the "correctness"....but what do you think about the tinker-toy sized front tires?....im thinking im gonna have to get 5.25" backspacing to ever get decent sized tires on the front end....i think there is room...

mark

__________________________________________________ _____________________________

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 09, 06:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Re: Tires/wheels

I don't think it looks awful at all. I have a very similar setup on my 68. I run 225x45x18 on 7x18 rims with 4.25 BS. No rubbing issues. Do you know where the rubbing is? You should be able to get away with 8 inch rims and 235ís in the front but issues start for most when you get into 245 tire.

My rear setup is same as yours but 18 inch rims/tires. Watch your rear after driving the car for a while. You may get some rubbing on the inner fender wells when on steeps or sharp turns. If so, a .25 inch spacer will do the trick as it did for me. I too run the NITTO555 all the way around.

Stance wise, I got 1.5 inch GW lowering springs in the front and GW 2 inch drop leafs in the rear. See sig for stance picture.

Matt

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 09, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlek131 View Post
I don't think it looks awful at all. I have a very similar setup on my 68. I run 225x45x18 on 7x18 rims with 4.25 BS. No rubbing issues. Do you know where the rubbing is? You should be able to get away with 8 inch rims and 235ís in the front but issues start for most when you get into 245 tire.

My rear setup is same as yours but 18 inch rims/tires. Watch your rear after driving the car for a while. You may get some rubbing on the inner fender wells when on steeps or sharp turns. If so, a .25 inch spacer will do the trick as it did for me. I too run the NITTO555 all the way around.

Stance wise, I got 1.5 inch GW lowering springs in the front and GW 2 inch drop leafs in the rear. See sig for stance picture.
your front tire/wheel setup is 26".....looks great..fills up the fenderwell....my tire/wheel is 24.1"(by the metric calc.)dosent fill up the fenderwell....235/45/17's didint even come close to fitting(17x8...4.5 backspace)... theres something else going on with the front end...i'll deal with it when it becomes a priority,i guess

my kids four-wheeler has taller front tires on it!!!

thanks for compliment

mark

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 09, 11:17 AM
Senior Tech
Bill

I put 235/45/17s on mine with 8" rim & 4.75" backspace. Tried a 245 tire at first but at min. realized would rub on driver's side front fender lip on a right turn. Didn't take it out for actual ride but suspected was not only spot would rub. Went with 235s on same wheel and no problems. I have adjustable front suspension and can put the car at whatever ride height look best with the tire size - very glad I went with that type of system. The problem people run into with increaseing backspacing to fit wider tire is it starts to rub on the inside vs. the fenders. Some have modified bump stops to keep from turning all the way and prevent the rubbing. Some are lucky enough to get the 245s in there with a 4.75" BS but I was not. I'm thinking may have to do with subtle alignment differences, panel fitment variances or ____?
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 09, 03:33 PM
Senior Tech
Hotchkis

Our most common question over at Hotchkis is about ride height. Modern cars, and modern pro-touring style is so much lower than a stock muscle car ride height that people are often disappointed with the stance of their Camaro on new springs, even the 1.5" drop.

We want to please our customers, and so we now offer a 3" drop TVS, with drop springs, lowering leaf springs, and sway bars for handling to match the improved looks.

If you are currently running 2" springs and are unsatisfied with the ride height, our 3" drop kit should be exactly what you're looking for.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode