69 RS- Fitting 17" wheels/tires... - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 10, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Andy
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Downingtown, Pa.
Posts: 36
69 RS- Fitting 17" wheels/tires...

I would like to run 17" ralley wheels on my 69 RS convertible, and have done a bunch of research and it looks like 17x8's in the front, and 17x9's or 9.5's in the rear are the setup. It also looks like 4.5 BS in the front and 5.5 BS in the rear is the way to go too, does this sound good? Also, who makes the 17" Billet Ralleys these days? I know Wheel Vintiques made them at one time, but have only found 18" Billet ones on their website.

The one thing I couldn't find with the research I have done on this site so far is what folks have done to fit certain size tires/wheels. I don't really want to mod my wheel openings or suspension at all, so what size tire can I get away with?

My car sits fairly high right now, but I do plan on doing some suspension mods to it as well. Nothing radical, just want to lower it an inch or two all the way around. It has big block springs in the front, with a SB motor.... BB springs gotta go...
Andy in Pa. is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 10, 12:37 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lyman, SC
Posts: 8,348
Re: 69 RS- Fitting 17" wheels/tires...

Not rally rims, but fitment info is here based on what most other people are doing with a 17" rim. No modifications necessary.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=152694

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
Steiner is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 10, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Andy
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Downingtown, Pa.
Posts: 36
Re: 69 RS- Fitting 17" wheels/tires...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiner View Post
Not rally rims, but fitment info is here based on what most other people are doing with a 17" rim. No modifications necessary.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=152694
More good info, thanks!!

A.
Andy in Pa. is offline  
 
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 10, 10:25 PM
Senior Tech
Steve
 
class67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NorCal
Posts: 794
Re: 69 RS- Fitting 17" wheels/tires...

with an 8" wheel in front you want 4.875 backspacing and with the 9" rear, you want to go with 5.25 or 9.5" rear, go with 5.5 to 5.75 (depending on how low you want to go!)

Steve
67 Camaro RS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
class67 is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 10, 07:31 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip
 
Skeeter55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 6,628
Re: 69 RS- Fitting 17" wheels/tires...

Wheelvintiques has them in 17" chrome or steel, heres a link.

http://wheelvintiques.myshopify.com/...llye-68-series

These are 18" Billet Ralleys.

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Skeeter55 is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 10, 10:39 AM
Team Member
John
 
JcGc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Western Ky
Posts: 541
Re: 69 RS- Fitting 17" wheels/tires...

Skip,
There you go again....showing off your car. You make those of us that are not even close to being done beat our heads in the wall... Common income tax money!!!

1969 Camaro


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
JcGc is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 10, 12:31 PM
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Monterey Peninsula,CA
Posts: 1,929
Re: 69 RS- Fitting 17" wheels/tires...

4.5" b/s on an 8" front wheel really isn't enough,that'll put you too close to the outer fender.A better b/s would be 4.75-4.875" as was noted but you'll need to find a wheel company that offers those custom b/spacing.Vintage Wheel Works is a perfect match for period-correct looking wheels with the right backspacing for these cars.

For the rears,a 9.5" wheel w/5.5" b/s is a common setup,I'd recommend a 245/45 front and a 275/40 rear to make sure they tuck in nicely.

'67 Buick Skylark F/C "Ingenue" 8/10 HRM feature / 2/12 Gasoline (Swedish) feature
World's only Buick-powered Buick Funny Car!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
musclecarjohn is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 10, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Andy
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Downingtown, Pa.
Posts: 36
Re: 69 RS- Fitting 17" wheels/tires...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter55 View Post
Wheelvintiques has them in 17" chrome or steel, heres a link.

http://wheelvintiques.myshopify.com/...llye-68-series

These are 18" Billet Ralleys.
I REALLY like that look on Camaros... but Wheel Vintiques prices are

I may end up settling for a Torque Thrust-style wheel instead, unless there is someone else doing 17" rallys more affordably.
Andy in Pa. is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 10, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Andy
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Downingtown, Pa.
Posts: 36
Re: 69 RS- Fitting 17" wheels/tires...

Quote:
Originally Posted by musclecarjohn View Post
4.5" b/s on an 8" front wheel really isn't enough,that'll put you too close to the outer fender.A better b/s would be 4.75-4.875" as was noted but you'll need to find a wheel company that offers those custom b/spacing.Vintage Wheel Works is a perfect match for period-correct looking wheels with the right backspacing for these cars.

For the rears,a 9.5" wheel w/5.5" b/s is a common setup,I'd recommend a 245/45 front and a 275/40 rear to make sure they tuck in nicely.
Thanks, good to know that 4.5" BS in the front may not be enough. I would like to fit a 275 on the rear, I'll have to give that a shot.

A.
Andy in Pa. is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 10, 03:34 PM
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Monterey Peninsula,CA
Posts: 1,929
Re: 69 RS- Fitting 17" wheels/tires...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy in Pa. View Post
Thanks, good to know that 4.5" BS in the front may not be enough. I would like to fit a 275 on the rear, I'll have to give that a shot.

A.
I've been known to have several sets of wheels on my cars...ask away if you have any questions.

I've run a 285/40 rear on a 17x9.5 wheel (5.5" b/s) and mostly cleared the inner fenders w/o issue until I ran 1/4" spacers and then no problems.A 275 tire should be just right.

'67 Buick Skylark F/C "Ingenue" 8/10 HRM feature / 2/12 Gasoline (Swedish) feature
World's only Buick-powered Buick Funny Car!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
musclecarjohn is offline  
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 10, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Andy
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Downingtown, Pa.
Posts: 36
Re: 69 RS- Fitting 17" wheels/tires...

Quote:
Originally Posted by musclecarjohn View Post
I've been known to have several sets of wheels on my cars...ask away if you have any questions.

I've run a 285/40 rear on a 17x9.5 wheel (5.5" b/s) and mostly cleared the inner fenders w/o issue until I ran 1/4" spacers and then no problems.A 275 tire should be just right.
So I won't have any troubles with 275-40-17's rubbing on big bumps or anything (assuming I use a 5.5 BS wheel of course)? My plans are to do the Hotchkis 1.5" lowering springs in the rear too (front is getting the 2" drop coils). I have no problem running a 255-45-17 in the rear, but if a bigger one fits, thats even better.

When I first got this Camaro, EVERY tire rubbed on the fender/frame somewhere... It was a shame because each tire was so badly scraped/scarred that they were basically junk.... with 95% of the tread still on them!!!
Andy in Pa. is offline  
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 10, 08:37 PM
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Monterey Peninsula,CA
Posts: 1,929
Re: 69 RS- Fitting 17" wheels/tires...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy in Pa. View Post
So I won't have any troubles with 275-40-17's rubbing on big bumps or anything (assuming I use a 5.5 BS wheel of course)? My plans are to do the Hotchkis 1.5" lowering springs in the rear too (front is getting the 2" drop coils). I have no problem running a 255-45-17 in the rear, but if a bigger one fits, thats even better.

When I first got this Camaro, EVERY tire rubbed on the fender/frame somewhere... It was a shame because each tire was so badly scraped/scarred that they were basically junk.... with 95% of the tread still on them!!!
Everyone of these cars is a little bit different so what absolutely works on one may not on another but that setup we discussed with a 275/40 tire is pretty safe and does fill up the wheelwell nicely.

'67 Buick Skylark F/C "Ingenue" 8/10 HRM feature / 2/12 Gasoline (Swedish) feature
World's only Buick-powered Buick Funny Car!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
musclecarjohn is offline  
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 10, 07:06 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip
 
Skeeter55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 6,628
Re: 69 RS- Fitting 17" wheels/tires...

Quote:
Originally Posted by musclecarjohn View Post
Everyone of these cars is a little bit different so what absolutely works on one may not on another but that setup we discussed with a 275/40 tire is pretty safe and does fill up the wheel well nicely.
X2 My 285/40/18 tire and 9.5 rim with 5.5 back space rub just a little on the inside of the of the wheel well, but doesn't rub with trimming on the outer lip.

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Skeeter55 is offline  
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 10, 07:26 AM
Senior Tech
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 957
Re: 69 RS- Fitting 17" wheels/tires...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy in Pa. View Post
Thanks, good to know that 4.5" BS in the front may not be enough. I would like to fit a 275 on the rear, I'll have to give that a shot.

A.
I tried a 17x8" 4.5 BS with a 245-45-17 tire on the front with Hotchkis front springs and it's too close for comfort. I went to an 18x8" 4.75 BS with a 245-40-18 tire and it fits perfect.

For the rear, the 17x9.5" 5.5 BS 'usually' works, but you've got a measure your specific car. If you've got any side-to-side variance with the differential being off-center and you may get some rubbing.
Neil B is offline  
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 10, 08:59 AM
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Monterey Peninsula,CA
Posts: 1,929
Re: 69 RS- Fitting 17" wheels/tires...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter55 View Post
X2 My 285/40/18 tire and 9.5 rim with 5.5 back space rub just a little on the inside of the of the wheel well, but doesn't rub with trimming on the outer lip.
My rear tires on my 17" VWW wheels are also 285/40's and I have the same issue as you,very slight inside rubbing only on odd,steep driveway entrances and culverts.
Strange thing about my car is I have TONS of room outside (fenders have been rolled nicely) so I run a thin 1/4" spacer and that solves the problem.
My 18" setup features a 10" wide wheel with 275/40 rubber and I could easily run a 285 no problem.

Each one of these cars is truly different...

'67 Buick Skylark F/C "Ingenue" 8/10 HRM feature / 2/12 Gasoline (Swedish) feature
World's only Buick-powered Buick Funny Car!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
musclecarjohn is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome