Biggest rear tire size??? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 10, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Paul

Biggest rear tire size???

this may be a dumb question but i'm putting my camaro back together and started by buying a disc brake kit for the front with 11'' rotors. next step is tires and wheels. right now i have 15" wheels on the back with 255-60-15 tires. what is the biggest tire i can run on the rear with a 15", 16", and 17" wheel? also I do not know what back spacing means so what kind of backspacing would i need. thanks for the help guys.

oh right now im running a 10 bolt rearend but will soon upgrade as i do not expect it to hold up to my 431 stroker. would it make a difference if i went with a 12 bolt or 9inch? would like to get 315 or 335 on the back and not really sure what size wheel that would be but assume it would be 10" wide wheel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 10, 09:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: biggest rear tire size???

Go to the "Wheels and Tires" forum and read the threads for your application in the 'stickys' - https://www.camaros.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17

"Backspace" is the distance from the rear mounting surface to the edge of the rim (minus the 'bead').
So if you place a flat stick across the rear rim and measure down to the mount surface that is the 'backspace' of a rim (minus the allowance for the bead, usually @3/8~1/2" ... )

Your combo may vary slightly depending on the width of the replacement rear axle if you don't use a stock GM "F" width.
You can discuss this with your axle supplier and come up with a combo to fit your needs.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 10, 08:40 AM
Senior Tech
Jeremiah

Re: biggest rear tire size???

I had 275/50/15 BFG's on 8.5" weld drag lights on my 68 and really liked the look. It was also lowered approx 3".

69 Z/28, red/white stripe, black houndstoot with docs.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 10, 09:41 AM
Senior Tech

Re: biggest rear tire size???

Sounds like you could really use our help.

More than happy to talk with you and walk you through what "back space" is, and what fits. Feel free to hit us up when you get a minute, and we are more than happy to educate you on all the madness. Wheel specs are what we do!
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 10, 11:36 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Re: Biggest rear tire size???

Give Jon from DriverzInc a call, he'll hook you up (and educate) as he did me. 275 tire is the widest you want on the rear while 225-235 for the front. Some have gotten away with 245 up front but IMPO, you're gambling at that point (more like asking for trouble). The second number (sidewall size) 60, 50, 45/40 will depend on wheel height (16, 17, 18 inch). Generally but not always, the taller the wheel the thinner the sidewall of the tire as you donít want 18 inch wheels with fat (60 series) sidewalls as that wonít fit and will look awful. Also, you must consider the wheel width (17x7, 17x8, 16x9, etc) You can run 275 tire on 15-17 inch wheel as long as the wheel is wide enough (but not too wide) to support that tire. Backspacing is probably the most important part because if you get that wrong than itís game over. Better to have too much backspacing than not enough as you can fix too much backspacing with a cheap spacer while not a whole lot you can do with too little backspacing. I run 18x9 with 5.25 BS on 275x40 tires in the back while 18x7 with 4.25 BS on 225x45 tires up front. See sig for pictures.

Matt

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 10, 11:46 AM
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood

Thumbs up Another vote for Driverzinc...

Jon's your man...he's set me up for all my cars,even my DD's.

'67 Buick Skylark F/C "Ingenue" 8/10 HRM feature / 2/12 Gasoline (Swedish) feature
World's only Buick-powered Buick Funny Car!

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 10, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Paul

well i already ordered some tires before i saw driverz post. i got yokohoma s-drive tires 275-40-17 for the rear with mb old school wheels 17 x 9.5 with 5.5 back spacing and 245-40-17 up front with 17 x 8 wheels up front with 4.5 back spacing. told me i will be ok with that set up. If not plz let me know as i can always cancel order lol before its too late. http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...tmn=Old+School there is a link to the wheels i got for the back
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 10, 12:25 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I'dsay you'll be ok. For sure pushing the limits in front with a 67-68 car tho.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 10, 12:37 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

See my post above regarding 245 up front. Rears, my guess is you'll need a 1/4 - 3/8 spacer as they may rub on the inner walls due to the 5.5BS. My rears are 18x9 with 5.25 BS and I had slight rub issue but 1/4 spacer fixed it. You are getting a wider wheel with more BS, which would seem to me the wheel/tire will be even closer to the inner fender wall. Not too concered about the rears as I would be about the fronts.

Matt

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 10, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Paul

so if i change the front to 225-45-17 is the offset going to be the same. will this be a lot safer than the 245-40-17 in the front? Will the wheel size be fine at 8" with 225-45-17? thanks a ton guys need to know by morning so i can change before they ship lol.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 10, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Paul

well they already shipped so i will find out i guess lol.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 10, 09:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

You should be good... My only suggestion would have been to perhaps go down to a 7 inch wheel with 4.25 BS as Jon did tell me that some of the 8 in wheels can rub up against the outer tie rod on full turns. Given the tire width (225mm) you are going with is already wider than the wheel (203mm/8 in), no one is ever really going to notice that you have 8 inch or 7 inch wheel. 4.25 BS on a 7 in wheel (vs 4.50 BS on 8 in) as 4.5 BS on 7 may give it that "too deep into the well” look. You should be good...

Matt

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 10, 04:06 PM

will 27 11.5 with 8 inch factory ralleys fit my 68 camaro? stock 12 bolt
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old May 10th, 10, 07:43 PM
Senior Tech
BARTELL

Do MB Old Schools come in black? I have only seen chrome and gunmetal.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old May 10th, 10, 08:12 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTELL67 View Post
Do MB Old Schools come in black? I have only seen chrome and gunmetal.
When I bought mine last year they had them in black with machined lip. Must not have been a good seller as it looks like they don't make them any more.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode