Wheel wobble - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 10, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kip

Wheel wobble

After months of wrenching on brakes, suspension, rearend... today was the day to fire the ol girl up and make sure everything worked... Keep in mind, that I have never actually driven the car... I had the the rear of the car on jackstands, started the car and put it into gear... to break in the new gears (per instructions). So as I am sitting there watching the wheels spin... I notice that both rear wheels have a subtle "wobble". I dont think it is an axel issue because the axles are new.
Are cast aluminum wheels dimensionally "true"? These wheels are old school Centerlines that are soon to find a new home on Craigslist... I guess I am just wanting second opinions on the what could be the source of the wobble...
Thanks,
Kip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 10, 06:53 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Re: Wheel wobble

Are the wheels balanced yet?

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 10, 06:59 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

You should have near zero runout. I'd pull the wheels and put a dial indicator on the disks. Make sure the tool is perpendicular to the face of the disk, being at an angle will screw up the reading.

runout should be .007 or less.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 10, 07:10 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Rear disc brakes? If so - make sure that the rotors fit over the axle. If not, you'll have to have the OD of the axles machined down a bit.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 10, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kip

discs fit perfect on the axel.... im gonna put the steel spare on one side today to see what happens....
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 10, 04:31 AM
Kevin

I had similar issues, you need to check both the rim and the tire. I had all my rims and tires checked on a spin balancer while I watched to solve a vibration issue. turns out 1 rim was bent and a tire was out of round (different wheels). Solved it by putting the bad tire on the bad rim and using that for the spare.

Kevin

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 10, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kip

I think I found the culprit... i double checked the fitment between the rotor hat and the axle hub.... to find that I should have triple checked it before..... So out come the axles..... $*&^%##
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 10, 12:41 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

So what was wrong????? We need to avoid the same problem.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 10, 12:51 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Ficarra View Post
So what was wrong????? We need to avoid the same problem.
Sounds like the rotors didn't quite clear the axles, and he needs to machine the OD of the axle flanges a bit so they slip on all of the way. Not uncommon on a rear disc swap, esp with some aftermarket axles. Sometimes it can just be that the rotors need a chamfer on the back side of the register hole.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 10, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kip

YEP.... rotors didnt fit all the way down onto the axle... I checked (not closely enough) when the parts arrived... but since all the new parts came at once... I was like a kid in a candy store... (or playboy mansion) ... and I just was too eager.... !!! So instead of taking that first drive, I get to take apart my freshly assembled 12 bolt.... so much for the inaugural drive tomorrow....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode