Wheels and tires for a 69 Z - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 10, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
TERRY

Wheels and tires for a 69 Z

I'm thinking of putting these Vintage 48 16" x 8" 4-1/2" backspace (0 offset)This wheel has 3/4" clearance from the axle plane to the backside of the spokes rims on my 69 z and was wondering if this is a good setup and what size tire should i be using
thanks in advance

Last edited by terjohn; Jan 11th, 10 at 06:59 PM. Reason: wrong link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 10, 04:38 PM
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood

Re: wheels and tires fo a 69 z

Quote:
Originally Posted by terjohn View Post
I'm thinking of putting these Vintage 48 16" x 8" 4-1/2" backspace (0 offset)This wheel has 3/4" clearance from the axle plane to the backside of the spokes rims on my 69 z and was wondering if this is a good setup and what size tire should i be using
thanks in advance
First off,I'd strongly recommend not going with 16" wheels because tire selection right now is very limited and promises to only get worse as time goes on.
17's are the sweet spot in terms of handling,tires are plentiful and cheap.

VWW makes some awesome,well-made wheels and are an excellent choice.
4.5" of b/s on a 8" wide wheel though will have you very close to the outer front fenders,4.75"-5" would be better choices and VWW offers custom b/spacing,unlike their cheaper off-shore competition.An 8" wheel really won't fill out your rear wheelwells too well,but if you want to run the same width wheel all-around,I understand.
I would suggest 245/45-17's in front and 255/40-17's in the rear.

The V-48 wheel is a cool-looking minilight-like wheel...

'67 Buick Skylark F/C "Ingenue" 8/10 HRM feature / 2/12 Gasoline (Swedish) feature
World's only Buick-powered Buick Funny Car!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 10, 06:13 AM
Senior Tech
Jeff

Re: Wheels and tires for a 69 Z

Here's my old 68 with the VWW V45 16x8 with 4.5" backspacing running 245/50/16 up front and 255/50/16 in the rear. Great combination and most people looked at the car and thought they were 15" wheels. The handling was great. 16" tires are a lot less expensive than 17" but I haven't really looked at the availablity recently. Modern 16" tires are a huge improvement over 15", but 17" is just marginal over 16" unless you go quite a bit wider like 275 compared to a 245.

Jeff H
69 Z28 Hugger Orange original factory JL8 brakes, being restored

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 10, 05:45 PM
Senior Tech
Kip

I had 16x8 on my last 67 Camaro. 255/50 on the back, 225/55 on the front.. It looked really good, and drove great. I really wish that tire manufacturers would provide a better selection in 16" tires... They look great on Muscle cars and add a lot to its performance.
I am trying to decide which way to go with wheels/tires on my new car.... I would do 16" again in a heartbeat if it weren't for the lack of tire selection..
I just cant get into the 17/18" wheel thing
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 10, 06:31 PM
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by kv67ssrs View Post
I just cant get into the 17/18" wheel thing
Come on man...it's 2010!lol.

17's with the proper stance can look killer on these cars,so can 18's...but don't get me started.Wheels and stance are everything.
VWW V-40's here:

Absolutely love these wheels and Rusty & Eli are great guys to deal with.

'67 Buick Skylark F/C "Ingenue" 8/10 HRM feature / 2/12 Gasoline (Swedish) feature

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 10, 07:43 PM
Senior Tech
Kip

LOL.... Its not so much the size of the 17 & 18 " wheels... I just don't like the tiny sidewalls on some setups.... just dont look right.... IMO.....anyway...
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 10, 12:27 PM
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood

Quote:
LOL.... Its not so much the size of the 17 & 18 " wheels... I just don't like the tiny sidewalls on some setups.... just dont look right.... IMO.....anyway...
I agree...mine are 45-series in front and 40-series in back...not enough sidewall for you?

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 10, 12:33 PM
Senior Tech
Jeremiah

IMO the 18" is the perfect size when combined with the right tire sellection and most of all the right stance. My wife has 17/8 and 17/9.5 TT2's on her 69 and they look reall good but we both agree we should have went with 18".

That yellow Z/28 looks amazing!

Although I think 20's are overkill for any combo here is a picture of my new 69. It came with 18/7 and 20/8.5 Coys with gun metal grey centers and machined lips. They are for sale now as im putting the original N66 wheels back on the car.

69 Z/28, red/white stripe, black houndstoot with docs.

Last edited by Jeremiah; Jan 14th, 10 at 12:56 PM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 10, 01:20 PM
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiah View Post
IMO the 18" is the perfect size when combined with the right tire sellection and most of all the right stance. My wife has 17/8 and 17/9.5 TT2's on her 69 and they look reall good but we both agree we should have went with 18".

That yellow Z/28 looks amazing!

Although I think 20's are overkill for any combo here is a picture of my new 69. It came with 18/7 and 20/8.5 Coys with gun metal grey centers and machined lips. They are for sale now as im putting the original N66 wheels back on the car.
Nice...looks good rolling on!

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 10, 03:31 PM
Senior Tech
Kip

...regardless of the size you prefer.... deciding on new wheels/tires is the most agonizing decision there is when building a car.... I almost dont even like to do it....almost....
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 10, 03:36 PM
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood

Quote:
...regardless of the size you prefer.... deciding on new wheels/tires is the most agonizing decision there is when building a car.... I almost dont even like to do it....almost....
True.
I suggest narrowing it down to 2-3 styles you REALLY,REALLY like then whittle it down to the 1 set...if you don't,you'll drive yourself nuts!

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 10, 04:40 PM
Senior Tech
Jeff

Quote:
I agree, the tiny sidewall doesn't look right to me but more importantly it gives you very little protection from potholes and other road obstacles. 17" is probably the biggest I would go. My 2000SS with the 17's can be a bit rough in the winter, especially on cold tires and the chewed up roads here in NJ.

Jeff H
69 Z28 Hugger Orange original factory JL8 brakes, being restored
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 10, 06:55 AM
Senior Tech

Here's a side-by-side comparison for you. My car actually rides the best on the 18/19 combo, it's not harsh at all and it steers easier with the manual box.

15x8 4.5" BS (front and rear):

17x8" 4.5 BS and 17x9.5 5.5 BS:

18x8" 4.75 BS and 19x9.5":

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 10, 01:08 PM
Senior Tech
Jeremiah

Thanks john!

69 Z/28, red/white stripe, black houndstoot with docs.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 10, 11:45 AM
Senior Tech
Elias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff H View Post
Here's my old 68 with the VWW V45 16x8 with 4.5" backspacing running 245/50/16 up front and 255/50/16 in the rear. Great combination and most people looked at the car and thought they were 15" wheels. The handling was great. 16" tires are a lot less expensive than 17" but I haven't really looked at the availablity recently. Modern 16" tires are a huge improvement over 15", but 17" is just marginal over 16" unless you go quite a bit wider like 275 compared to a 245.

Woooow, those rims are just the combo I was looking for !
You should post it at the 'sticky' tread
What does VWW stand for and could you give me some more info ?

Thanks !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode