What are rim size advantages??? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 10, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

What are rim size advantages???

What is the advantage of having 17" or 18" rims on your first generation camaro? Is it "just for looks" because of all the new style rims out there? Is it a gas mileage thing &/or performance thing.

Couldn't I get just as good of gas mileage on a tall tire with stock 14" or 15" rims, as apposed to bigger rims with shorter side walls?

The only thing I really know about performance tires is that: the more rubber one has on the ground (the wider the tire) the better traction you have.

Is this the big advantage of 17" or 18" rims, so you can put wider tires on them?

Thanks in advance for any educational information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 10, 11:09 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Re: What are rim size advantages???

It all depends on what performance you talking about... 17 vrs 18's are for looks and on a 18's with a lower profile tire will give you less side wall roll (better for corners) then a taller tire for a 17' rim... They both work well and can take updated disk brakes unlike 15's... Gas mileage if the tire is tall as 17 vrs 18 would still be the same, but a taller tire may give you more of a plusher ride then a lower profile tire.

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 10, 10:11 AM
Senior Tech
Bill

I went from BFG TA on 15s to some 17s with Nitto tires 275/40s in back and 235/45s in front and total wheel/tire diameter really wasn't that much taller due to the lower profile tires. Now as long as the rest of your suspension is in good tight shape you will see good noticeable results. This is what I noticed:

Car tracks better down the road.
Better launch at the drag strip with newer/stickier/wider tire technology
Car flat out looks better
Car feels better around around turns
It's like shoes on an athlete - so long as the rest of the components are well built the tires will make a significant difference

A lot of it comes down to fact that the tire industry has for the most part abandoned wheels 15" or smaller and doesn't offer good products that are comparable with the larger diameter tires. The NITTO 555 Extreme tires I got for my wheels are rated for much higer speeds & better traction than 15" tires can accomodate. That said - anoother big difference woud have to come in the form of Increased Safety.

Did I mention they look way better.

Also worth mentioning that these superior tires don't have to come at a premium price. The difference between the BFG TAs and the NITTOs amounted to less than a handful of change - meaning the NITTOs were cheaper for the rear and about the same up front.

Last edited by 68RS-SS; Feb 8th, 10 at 10:22 AM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 10, 11:32 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Mostly looks, they do look good. The ride does get rough on the 40 or less series when you got them aired up good and you're on bad/rough city street.

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 10, 12:21 PM
Senior Tech
Ed

17" get you access to modern high performance tires (try finding the same selection for 14 and 15" rims), 18" fill the wheel wells a bit better and are more of a look thing. Anything bigger is purely looks. (other than to clear utterly massive brakes).

17" is where the sweet spot is at imho. You get the tire choice and have the least rotating mass and can clear reasonably large brakes.

Ed

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 10, 01:08 PM
Senior Tech
Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlek131 View Post
Mostly looks, they do look good. The ride does get rough on the 40 or less series when you got them aired up good and you're on bad/rough city street.
Worse than a 50 or 60 series but not much. If you have good supsension a 30 series will ride nice. My car rides as nice as my BMW in 90% of scenarios.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 10, 07:53 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

not just looks. huge difference in handling and feel. huge.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 10, 07:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
Worse than a 50 or 60 series but not much. If you have good supsension a 30 series will ride nice. My car rides as nice as my BMW in 90% of scenarios.

What is the wheel diameter on your BMW?

Russ
'67 4 speed coupe
'67 rs coupe
'94 6 speed z-28
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 10, 08:35 PM
Senior Tech
Todd

Nineteens but my point was that low profile tires can ride very well even in a classic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode