Raised white lettering - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 10, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
TERRY

Raised white lettering

i'm looking for tires for my 69 camaro,i have mini light rims, sizes are
17x7 and 17x8 and am looking for a dealer that that sells tires with the raised white lettering thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 10, 03:26 PM
Senior Tech
Rex

Re: raised white lettering

I work for bridgestone/firestone and know of no brand that makes any...I may be wrong though.

69 x-11..LS1, 420.88 horse to the tires,750 Holley Ultra DP, Torquer V2, darksides headers, PRC heads, 10.8:1 compression, forged bottom end, 5 speed. 2008 King Ranch F150 4x4.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 10, 03:32 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Most of those tires are so short, their is no room for letters.

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 10, 03:38 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

I don't think you'll find anything in a 17" RWL, all the tires that would work well with your 1st gen and 17's really won't have enough sidewall (45, 40 series) and if you can find a 17" tire with 50 or 55 series sidewalls they will be for a truck or maybe something odd like a MBZ sedan...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 10, 03:53 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

No rwl letters on this side of the earth for that tire size..

BILL D.
JOHN 3:16
SEMPER FI
if you have a bbc in your 1st gen 67-69 camaro click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post yours up!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

if you have an all original 1st gen camaro 67-69 click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post your up!!

post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 10, 06:15 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

None on this side of the earth ..or down under either
hell its hard enough getting these days for 60 series...

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 10, 07:53 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Terry, Been through the same thing with my 68, bought torque thrst 2 x 17's and the only tyres i could find were 4x4 tyres. so i went back to old school 15x8,s cragar. regards dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3796.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	14353   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3797.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	14354   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3798.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	14355  

post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 10, 02:05 AM
Senior Tech
Steps

my personal opinion
big low profiles are a fad..like jacking up the rear end in the 70s..
the 1st gen lines do not suit low profiles....unless you want someone to notice your flash wheels before noticing the car...
The modern boy racer car has sleek lines that suit lowprofile big wheels
The 1st gen eara of design..was nice heavier proportional curved lines, that rquire a 'heaviier' design wheel....
Stock caps...they look good, designed to blend in to the overall design
There where a few after market 'mags back then...SS crager was designed for 1st gens, forebirds, dodge curves....the hit the ss so well on the mark...right down to the curve of relection on the spokes.
On the other hand it would be bloody boring if every 1gen had ss cragers old school or stock caps.
I have to admit i have seen pics of a handful of 1st gens with low profile and the design of the rims does nearly make it look right.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 10, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
TERRY

Re: Raised white lettering

i had heard a rumor that mickey thompson was coming out with a 17" car tire
but haven't found anything info on it yet, So i'm going to give them a call and see what they have to say. I have nitto's on now but really like the old school raised white lettering look.

thanks and will let you know about what Mickey Thompson has to say
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 10, 07:17 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
my personal opinion
the 1st gen lines do not suit low profiles....unless you want someone to notice your flash wheels before noticing the car...
The 1st gen eara of design..was nice heavier proportional curved lines, that rquire a 'heaviier' design wheel....
There where a few after market 'mags back then...SS crager was designed for 1st gens, forebirds, dodge curves....the hit the ss so well on the mark...right down to the curve of relection on the spokes.
On the other hand it would be bloody boring if every 1gen had ss cragers old school or stock caps.
I have to admit i have seen pics of a handful of 1st gens with low profile and the design of the rims does nearly make it look right.
X2!

capt

Bumper sticker- I'm not SPEEDING
I'm QUALIFYING!
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 10, 08:33 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
my personal opinion
I think it's a bit selfish to lable what you don't like! I was there in the day and most 1st gens on the street had hubcaps so does that make rally wheels a fad? Not many 1st gens sit like they did from the factory or have factory size wheels and tires on them, does that make most 1st gens a fad? Let's stop insulting each other with our high and mighty opinions and at least ignore what others are doing if it's not to your taste! You run around telling others how to moderate and brag about your moderator skills, well put them to practice Steps and tell the mother she has a beautiful baby even if you don't think so!

These cars are our babys in many ways and nobody likes to be insulted or have their taste insulted at the expense of someone voicing their opinion. Freedom of speach is like being able to carry a knife in your pocket. If you are going to stab someone with it you are abusing your freedom!

...Dennis

post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 10, 09:41 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Just because you agree and believe what he says Bill doesn't make it any less insulting to the person that doesn't see it the same as you or he!

The use of the word "fad" has been tossed around here many times and it's never been presented in a good light, it's always used to take a shot at what others like when someone don't get it! I remember someone saying Pro-Street was a fad once and it took days to calm down the insulted Pro-Street guys. Does that clairify where I'm coming from? The post was also off topic, nobody asked for opinions about big wheels and low profile tires so where does anyone get off spoiling the thread with an opinion that basically tells the OP his choice in wheels sucks!

...Dennis

Last edited by DjD; Feb 19th, 10 at 10:00 AM.
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 10, 10:02 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

It's interesting, you're looking for RWL low-profile tires, and I'm looking for blackwall "regular" profile tires, and neither of us can find any! haha.

It's amazing the limited selection that's out there for the tire sizes I'm looking for. It seems like it'd actually make sense to make some blackwall tires for our vintage vehicles.

Oh well, looks like I'm stuck putting the RWL on the the inside, and you could use some whiteout or white shoe polish for yours.
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 10, 10:07 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Tom View Post
It's interesting, you're looking for RWL low-profile tires, and I'm looking for blackwall "regular" profile tires, and neither of us can find any! haha.

It's amazing the limited selection that's out there for the tire sizes I'm looking for. It seems like it'd actually make sense to make some blackwall tires for our vintage vehicles.

Oh well, looks like I'm stuck putting the RWL on the the inside, and you could use some whiteout or white shoe polish for yours.
RWL's are usually black wall on one side and can be mounted with the lettering inboard.

...Dennis

post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 10, 10:08 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
RWL's are usually black wall on one side and can be mounted with the lettering inboard.
Oh, I know. I just don't like seeing the RWL on the inner wheels when standing from afar. Looking into a couple methods of painting the letters black so they're less visible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode