1969 Camaro 12 Bolt Question - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 10, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Jake Chalk

Send a message via AIM to Chalkboard247
1969 Camaro 12 Bolt Question

Hey guys! I'm new to posting here at the forums, but I have used your website many times to answer the toughest of my Camaro restoration questions. Here is a tough one, at least from my perspective. I have a 1969 Camaro with a mono-leaf setup and a 10 bolt rear end. Needless to say, that just won't cut it! So I purchased a Hotchkis multi-leaf setup along with the many other goodies to get rid of the mono-leaf setup. No problem installing. I purchased a 12 bolt rear end with casting number 3969341, which is stated in other forums as a late 1969 Camaro rear end or a 1970 Nova rear end. The rear end is built and ready to go, I moved the mounts to fit the new multi-leaf springs, but here is where my question comes into play. On the rear, I have 15" Torque Thrust D wheels that are 7" wide with a 4" backspace. The 10 bolt I took out is 1 inch shorter in width than the 12 bolt I am about to replace it with. This will increase each side by 1/2" by my calculations. Will the wheels and tires stay inside the fender well? Or will they rub? Feel free to correct any errors I may have made while typing this, and thanks in advance for your time! -Chalkboard

Go Hard or Go Home.
'69 SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 10, 07:52 PM
Senior Tech
Ted

Re: 1969 Camaro 12 Bolt Question

I thought the 2 rearends were the same width originally. I switched my 10 bolt for a 12 bolt in my 69 and fitment was the same. Ask biggearhead over in the tranny and drivetrain section. He probably knows for sure. Do you have disc brakes on the new 12 bolt? And had drums on the 10 bolt?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 10, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Jake Chalk

Well that's what I believed too, but after a little research I found out that the 12 bolt I have was made for a few Nova's that were wider than original. Which this proves in my case because even though the number is right, the rear end is wider. Both have drum brakes, so everything is the same on that front. I'll go see what he has to say! Thanks.

Go Hard or Go Home.
'69 SS

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 10, 08:51 PM
Senior Tech
Ted

Well the next thing would be to install the rearend bolt everything up and throw on the wheels. While it's up on jack stands you should get a good idea if the wheels are going to rub when lowered. If they are going to, you just get 2 new rear wheels with the correct backspacing. That's probably cheaper than the work to shorten the tubes and axles and reset the backlash.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 10, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
Jake Chalk

Yeah, that's what everyone else has been telling me as well. Problem is that I don't think I can get 15" Torque Thrust D Chrome wheels with more than 4" backspacing. If you could find anything, I would be thrilled! Not too sharp on the internet, maybe you could find something I skipped over. Thanks for the help so far!

Go Hard or Go Home.
'69 SS
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 10, 10:30 AM
Senior Tech

The 3969341 center section was used for late 69 Camaro and 1970 Nova rears, but it was also used for the wider 1970 Camaro rears.
The 1970 nova rears are dimensionally identical to the 1969 Camaro rears.
The 1970 Camaro rears have different axle codes that you can use to identify them without measuring.
The 1970 Camaro rear was worth more than a 1970 Nova rear due to its limited production. Its a shame the mounts have been moved.
I hope this info clears up a few things.
Eric
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 10, 09:22 AM
Senior Tech
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by L72/RS View Post
The 3969341 center section was used for late 69 Camaro and 1970 Nova rears, but it was also used for the wider 1970 Camaro rears.
The 1970 nova rears are dimensionally identical to the 1969 Camaro rears.
The 1970 Camaro rears have different axle codes that you can use to identify them without measuring.
The 1970 Camaro rear was worth more than a 1970 Nova rear due to its limited production. Its a shame the mounts have been moved.
I hope this info clears up a few things.
Eric
X2 good info Eric

69 R/S Z/28 302 X33 D80 late 09C
69 T/A clonification LS6-6speed under construction
15 ZL1
64 Chevelle wagon 6.0l planned sons toy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode