Question of backspacing - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old May 13th, 10, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question of backspacing

Hello all,

I am about to purchase some 15X7 rally wheels for my 68 camaro, and I am just wondering if backspacing is something that is done when you order tires, or is it already on the rim? Maybe a stupid question, but I dont want to order rims only to find out they have the wrong backspacing. I just dont seem to grasp if its done while getting tires or not.
Also...what size tires will I need to get in order not to rub, and what backspace will I need for the tires to come out to just before the wheel well? I hope this all makes sense.
Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old May 13th, 10, 08:15 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Re: Question of backspacing

The backspacing will be one of the dimensions of the rim. It is how far the back face of the wheel hub is from the back edge of the rim.

4.25" works pretty good on a 15x7 along with 225/60 tires if you want the same size all the way around. 4" would push the tire edge close to the fender lip (on a 7" rim) if that is what you're going for. 235/60 works good all the way around on a '69 but the fronts rub the frame a tad at full steering wheel lock.

These are some old pics of 15x7 rims with 4.25" backspacing and 235/60 tires all the way around with four wheel drums.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old May 13th, 10, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiner View Post
The backspacing will be one of the dimensions of the rim. It is how far the back face of the wheel hub is from the back edge of the rim.

4.25" works pretty good on a 15x7 along with 225/60 tires if you want the same size all the way around. 4" would push the tire edge close to the fender lip (on a 7" rim) if that is what you're going for. 235/60 works good all the way around on a '69 but the fronts rub the frame a tad at full steering wheel lock.

These are some old pics of 15x7 rims with 4.25" backspacing and 235/60 tires all the way around with four wheel drums.

Perfect!! Thanks so much for the clarification!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old May 13th, 10, 08:48 PM
Team Member
Jerry R.

A 255 will fit the rear with no rub

my Magnaflow X-pipe system sound clip, click the link

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode