tire size - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old May 26th, 10, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Scott

tire size

what is the largest tire size i can fit in the front without rubbing? i have CPP big brake kit with 18" wheels. i need more ground clearence. headers hit on bumps. right now i have stock control arms, CPP stock height spindles, BB w/ac springs...the ride is killing me also, in fact its keeping me from driving the car.

i have the bb springs to try and stiffin it up so the headers wouldnt hit. all i did was make it ride like a tank

i currently have 225/35/18s and they look rediculous on the car, way too small. i had some mickey thompson 26" tall tires on it orgianlly which looked great but rubbed like crazy, also at the time i have cpp drop spindles, thats how i ended up with the tires i have on it now, trying to get it to not rub. but even the 225s rubbed, so i put the stock style spindles on

1967 Camaro RS
383 Stroker 427HP 457TQ
Tremec TKO-600
Strange Engineering 12-Bolt 4.11 Posi
Coys C-55 18" Wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old May 26th, 10, 07:26 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: tire size

Keep your stock spindles. Use Hotchkis lowering springs. I hope you don't have KYB gas-a-just shocks... they suck, ride like a tank. Lot's of tire and wheel fitment info, in that category.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old May 26th, 10, 08:06 PM
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

Re: tire size

Scott try this tire size calculator to see how the different size compare to each other and then maybe someone will chime in with the largest height or width that you are looking to fit under your car.

http://miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

"..............what, and get out of aviation??"

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old May 26th, 10, 10:28 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Lot's of info, somewhat confusing?

What are the brand/sepcs on headers, specifically collector size?
"Biggest tire" - I am assuming you are wanting to raise the car.
You are running 18x?, Coys, Backspace?
What's meant by "BB w/ac springs"?
You do have BBC coil springs on right now, right?
I am assuming small block based on your signature, right?
You are back to stock spindles, right?
You had drop spindles before and your 225's rubbed? If so, then where did it rub at?
"mickey thompson 26" - What were the specs on those (xxx/xx/xx)?

My guess - 67, SBC stroker, BBC coil springs, stock spindles, CPP front brake kit, 225/35/18 fronts. If that's the case and you're are scraping your headers then something is not right.

First thing the tires, 225/35 only give you a 79mm sidewall, that's way small. 225/45/18 is more common setup (on the small side) and that would give you a 101mm sidewall. 22mm more is close to an extra inch (.88") in clearance.

Let's get more info...

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by zlek131; May 26th, 10 at 10:39 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old May 27th, 10, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Scott

What are the brand/sepcs on headers, specifically collector size?
Hooker Headers, long tube, 1-3/4" primary The collector is 3" but its hitting on one fo the primaries before it goes into the collector.

"Biggest tire" - I am assuming you are wanting to raise the car.
You are running 18x?, Coys, Backspace?
ill have to look at this tonight. i dont have the paper work with me so ill have to look at the wheels when i get home. i went with whatever coys suggested for me tho. i want to say they are 18x7 with a 4.25" BS but im not 100%. i know the rears are 18x8 with a 4.5 BS but i cant remember if the fronts are the same or if they are different.

What's meant by "BB w/ac springs"?
You do have BBC coil springs on right now, right?
yes, i had two choices when i ordered, bb without a/c and bb with a/c i went with the one for a/c thinking it would give less. i am running edelbrock IAS classic shocks on all 4 cornors

I am assuming small block based on your signature, right?
yes, with edelbrock alum heads

You are back to stock spindles, right?
yes, or atleast CPPs "stock style" spindles

You had drop spindles before and your 225's rubbed? If so, then where did it rub at?
yes they rubbed with the drop spindles. outside edge on the stainless trim and the wheel well lip the trim screws too. without the drop spindles the gap between the fender and the tire is simply ugly.

"mickey thompson 26" - What were the specs on those (xxx/xx/xx)?
M/T 26/8/18

My guess - 67, SBC stroker, BBC coil springs, stock spindles, CPP front brake kit, 225/35/18 fronts. If that's the case and you're are scraping your headers then something is not right.
yes, however, the car has been parked for about 6 months and it very well maybe that the headers were damaged when i had the drop spindles on the car. i cant remember. i was driving the car with its current setup but the ride is brutal. but i had no rubbing! haha i just want to smooth out the ride. i parked the car because i had a oil pump problem that i am in the process of repairing now...one more thing the bbc springs were put on with the drop spindles to try and keep it from rubbing, didnt work

also i have a automatic to 5 speed conversion from classic chevy 5 speed. my rear tire size is 28/10/18, built 12 bolt with 4.10s, slide a link traction bars, new mono leaf springs, and cpp disk brakes out back too. also the car has prothane body mounts, engine mounts,, trans mounts, c-arm bushings, and ball joint caps. and 1" swaybar, comp. engineering sub frame connectors...im trying to cover all the bases haha

1967 Camaro RS
383 Stroker 427HP 457TQ
Tremec TKO-600
Coys C-55 18" Wheels
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old May 27th, 10, 11:20 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Majority here will agree that drop spindles are an omen on the first gens as they can cause all kinds of rubbing issues. Most including me have lowered their cars via coil springs. Either by cutting existing springs or going with aftermarket lowering springs like from Hotchkis or Global West, etc. The reason you have a crazy fender gap is because you are running BBC/acc springs with a SBC and aluminum heads. Yes, the gap should be ridiculously large. One would think with this setup you should have plenty or header clearance underneath the car. Can you measure from the lowest header point to the ground? I know there are plenty on here running BBC with BBC lowering springs, with Hooker Comps and SuperComps, 3 inch or larger collectors and have no issues. BTW, are yours Comps or SuperComps? I've read SuperComps hang down a bit lower. Back to those 35's series front tires....45's will give you close to an extra inch of clearance and make that side wall look much better. Shoot some pics and post on here as those are worth a thousand words.

I will be dropping in my BBC along with Hooker Comps this weekend. I have 18x7, 225/45 tires and close to 2 inch drop springs. I don't anticipate any issues but will find out for sure this weekend. We should also be able to compare the distance between the lowest header point and ground.

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old May 30th, 10, 11:40 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Here is my measurement...

Matt

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 10, 08:37 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Ignore the pic above as the motor is leaning way back due to no tranny. I got the jack under the oil pan and raised it to a point where you can't even see the headers. I'll post another pic once I get the tranny in as that will be the true measurement.

Matt

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 10, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Scott

sorry for the delay ive been pretty busy at work. the car is on ramps right now so this is the only picture i have of its unslightly wheel gap

this is the tire from the side

the wheels are 18x7s with a 4.25 inch backspacing on the front. i dont rub on anything how its setup now but its also a very rough ride and the front suspension barely gives at all.

1967 Camaro RS
383 Stroker 427HP 457TQ
Tremec TKO-600
Coys C-55 18" Wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode