Rallye Wheels for a '68 - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 10, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mikko

Rallye Wheels for a '68

I'm sure this has been asked several times before so sorry for that already, but I don't really have the time to search now because I'm on vacation here in the US.

Anyways, I'm thinking of buying new Rallye Wheels and redline radials for my Camaro while here in CA. I'm going to upgrade one size up from original 14 to 15inch, but I'm not sure whether to go with 6 or 7" wide wheels. What would you recommend and what BS should I go with these wheels?

What about tire sizes?

Thank you.

-1968 Camaro RS-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 10, 08:49 AM
Tech Team
Bill

Re: Rallye Wheels for a '68

Tires for 15 in wheel:
My car has 235/60/15 on the front and 255/70/15 on the back, which is what the guy who owned it before me had on it. I just bought the same size to replace the front tires, and when the backs wear out, I'll put a smaller size on there. It makes the car ride a little higher in the back with the bigger tires on there, if you like that look.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 10, 09:41 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Cool Re: Rallye Wheels for a '68

I would base the wheel width on the tires you are buying or would intend to use in the future.
I normally go with the 7" as I most often use a 70% or lower ratio tire.

Coker Tire sells a line of 15" Radial Redlines that have a good selection of sizes.
I've used the 215/60R-15 and it looked nice on a mostly 'stockish' Camaro convertible. The rims were 15X7 ralleys, chrome finish.
I've also put a set of the 225/70R-15 on a big-block conversion that built as a driver - they looked good and performed well. When it came time to replace I went down a size or two (don't remember exactly as the tires were just out from Coker) on the fronts and it gave the car a subtle rake and got the front down just a bit.
Summit Racing sells Coker tires (and the rims) and could possibly arrange shipping for you ...

Link to Coker - http://store.cokertire.com/tire-styl...?adjclear=true
Link to Summit/Wheel Vintiques - http://www.summitracing.com/Brands/Wheel-Vintiques

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 10, 02:08 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve A.

Send a message via AIM to flat350

15x8 Corvette rallye rear-245/15/60( 4 1/2" offset I think),15x7 Monte Carlo rallye front(with lowered springs)-225/15/60(4" offset I think),nothing rubs.
Attached Images

Steve

68 work in progress , but I can drive it now - O5D build - 712 trim - 02 color
Think it was a 396 , 4 spd. - now in primer , 350 , 4 spd. , lots of new body and mech. parts
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 10, 03:27 PM
Banned
Bethanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat350 View Post
15x8 Corvette rallye rear-245/15/60( 4 1/2" offset I think),15x7 Monte Carlo rallye front(with lowered springs)-225/15/60(4" offset I think),nothing rubs.
Same for me. You can get the 15X8 with 4 1/2 backspace at NPD.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 10, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mikko

Thanks for the replys guys!

One more question.. What's the correct center cap for a '68 Rallye Wheel? Does it have the bowtie-logo in the middle or not?

-1968 Camaro RS-
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 10, 10:25 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: Rallye Wheels for a '68

Nope -
The original caps have "Chevrolet Motor Division" written in a circled ring on the outer end of the cap.
They look like these - http://www.firewheelclassics.com/sto...ID=&SKU=WCT40K

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 10, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mikko

Thanks John

-1968 Camaro RS-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode