Identify These Rims - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 10, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ian

Identify These Rims

Hey everyone,

I've have my Camaro for a few years now and I'm starting to pick up the missing peices. I've got the rims in the following picture but they are missing the center caps. Does anyone know the name of these rims and/or what caps I would get for them?

Thanks for your help. If you require any sizes or other pics let me know.

Ian

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 10, 07:59 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Cruzin "the 82"

Re: Identify These Rims

american racing

angel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 10, 08:06 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bri

So are you looking for the centers? for your rims?

"Three Rules of Work: Out of clutter find simplicity; From discord find harmony; In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity."

Albert Einstein

"Never Forget" FDNY 9/11/01

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have more than 4 Camaro's am I Addicted?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 10, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ian

Wow thanks for the quick replies.. After looking at americanracing.com I found these...

HOT ROD CUSTOM 200S GUN METAL W/ MACH. LIP
(Series VN402)
two piece aluminum painted

Pretty sure that these are the ones as they have a flat faced spoke.. Just need center caps for those.. thanks again you guys!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 10, 10:05 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

AR Daisy wheel.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 10, 04:38 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian67 View Post

Quote:

they aren't the same wheel- there are a few subtle differences.
look at the valve stem and the contour of the polished lips.
those might just be changes made over the years, but they might also point to a totally different wheel made by a different company.
either way, the center caps might be different.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 10, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ian

Thumbs up Re: Identify These Rims

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaderrik View Post
they aren't the same wheel- there are a few subtle differences.
look at the valve stem and the contour of the polished lips.
those might just be changes made over the years, but they might also point to a totally different wheel made by a different company.
either way, the center caps might be different.
You are very right. I noticed the stem yesterday as well. They could be a knock off from another company or a different version of the same wheel. Either way I've decided to get a generic (no emblem) 2.5" cap for my rims and then get a separate bowtie emblem for them. Will be far cheaper than an American Racing cap and I also am not a big fan of the AR cap emblem.

Unless someone is able to identify the rims by name, we can probably consider this thread concluded.

Thanks again everyone!

Ian
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 10, 07:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Ian, I think your wheels might be early versions of the American Racing 200-S. Check this site and scroll down to the section titled "Other American Racing Equipment Wheels."

http://www.roadsters.com/wheels/
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 10, 03:52 PM
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood

Quote:
Hey everyone,

I've have my Camaro for a few years now and I'm starting to pick up the missing peices. I've got the rims in the following picture but they are missing the center caps. Does anyone know the name of these rims and/or what caps I would get for them?

Thanks for your help. If you require any sizes or other pics let me know.

Ian

Those are AR 200S wheels as noted,yours are the older style and appear to be 15x8's judging from the dish on those wheels.
To answer the question,the modern 17" versions of these wheels utilize the exact same center cap as were on your originally although they have recently changed to a flat billet pop-on cap which has replaced these hex-nut versions.I have had both the old 15-inchers as well as the 17's and the caps fit both identically.

Too bad you didn't see my for sale thread,I just sold a new,unused set of four for $13/shipped.

'67 Buick Skylark F/C "Ingenue" 8/10 HRM feature / 2/12 Gasoline (Swedish) feature
World's only Buick-powered Buick Funny Car!

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 10, 04:02 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: Identify These Rims

The 'original' 200S series were a machined one-piece cast aluminum wheel.
The 'new' versions are a two-piece wheel with the centers being a casting and the rim being a rolled forging. The pieces are then pressed and welded together ...
The newer rims are slightly heavier and stronger than the originals.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 10, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by musclecarjohn View Post
Too bad you didn't see my for sale thread,I just sold a new,unused set of four for $13/shipped.
Wow, I would have paid a lot more than that! I think I will end up re-painting the rims and putting on a generic cap with custom emblem/decal. However If I could find a sweet deal like that I would consider changing my mind just to keep them original.

Thanks for your help everyone. BTW, you were right as that pic was of the rear tire... 15's on the back and 14's on the front.

Ian
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 10, 04:22 PM
Apprentice
Raymond

I have a pretty sad set of these aswell. 15x8's and 14x6's. Mine were all chrome plated, but many years of sitting has left the chrome peeling off them. They are the rollers my 68 camaro came on.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 10, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by *rayman* View Post
I have a pretty sad set of these aswell. 15x8's and 14x6's. Mine were all chrome plated, but many years of sitting has left the chrome peeling off them. They are the rollers my 68 camaro came on.
Yeah unless I come across a cheap set of AR caps I will likley polish and repaint. I've made up a quick Photoshop of what I think I will do to them.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 10, 09:08 PM
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood

Quote:
Yeah unless I come across a cheap set of AR caps I will likley polish and repaint. I've made up a quick Photoshop of what I think I will do to them.

Those look great...the only suggestion I'd have is not to do straight black,really gets lost,especially when moving...consider a dark argent grey against that polished lip...it will really pop.

I had several sets of those centercaps,I'll look around but I'm pretty sure they're all gone.The reason why I didn't use those I just sold is because they had a silver face and I preferred the black face ones I bought years back.

I would check w/Jon Henson over @ www.driverzinc.com ...tell him I sent you and ask him if a modern billet cap like he uses on his NewGen wheels or something similar would work on your wheels.

I'm thinking they won't but maybe he has a source on them or another suggestion...

'67 Buick Skylark F/C "Ingenue" 8/10 HRM feature / 2/12 Gasoline (Swedish) feature
World's only Buick-powered Buick Funny Car!

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 10, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ian

This mini-project is probably a while off unless the fam decides to buy me these caps for a gift. These are the caps that I used to put on my rim picture. They're available online for about $60 a set. I then used a circular emblem that I found on ebay to add the white bowtie. I will check into driverzinc to see what they have.

Thanks!

Ian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
camaro, identify, rims

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode