rims fustration. - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 10, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Eric

rims fustration.

Hi fellows.
I been shopping around for rims for my 1969 camaro.
I have roughly lower the front 2.5in front and 2.25 in rear with heidts suspension.
Im running 12 bolts with ls1 rear disc conversion.
My dilema is finding rims to fit this beast.
I am looking for something modern and protouring looking rims.
With the 120.65 bolt pattern. it seem we are limit with a very little selection.
either the TT, boss 338, etc....

I like these wheels.
but they come in 120mm. I have do a search. half people say it work, half people dont recomended. because the bolt patttern is off by 0.65mm. the shop that selling the 5x120mm have been install on there corvette with no issue. what everyone outhere are using?
any suggestion or rims idea would be great.
thank you in advance

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/18-PO...ht_24641wt_939

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/19-18...ht_9114wt_1165
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 10, 08:46 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Re: rims fustration.

Those wheels would look cool on there, especially with the right color. FWIW re: tires-- sold, mounted, balanced, repaired, did warranty adjustments, wrote service tickets, managed employees, etc. in the auto service industry for much of the 1990's. Times are different now.

Most guys out there do not run anything larger than a 17" in wheel on a first gen because of the difficulty in finding stuff that works. The old ZR-1 Corvette's in the early 1990's had 17" wheels on them, P275/40/ZR17 on the front and P315/35/ZR17 on the rear FWIW.......

Your brakes are much larger than what came with a 1969 Camaro from the factory even with the famous JL8 4 wheel disc option. I have seen guys run 18" wheels on a 1969 with Brembo brakes which costs more today than what I had my 396 built for back in 1991 from carb to pan turn key.

Back in the day when I worked in the car business I used the Tire Rack alot. They were awesome and everything we ordered for customers fit. American Racing was also good. I just checked the Tire Rack website and nothing larger than 17" wheel is listed for a 1969. The concern is if you go to 18, 19, 20" wheel you may have to mini-tub the rear quarter panels and the ZR1 size will require mini-tubs on the rear.

I've ordered some stuff from Detroit Speed & Engineering (DSE) about three years ago for my 1969 and DSE was awesome! For me it was a third gen steering gear box with braided steel p/s lines & adapters. Yea it was expensive but it worked right the first time! Here is a link to DSE's wheel page http://www.detroitspeed.com/productpages/wheelsall.htm It says to call them. Unfortunately as you are probably more than well are of it's not as easy as a set of 15x7 or 15x8 rally's or Torque Thrusts.

IMHO I would go with a nice set of 17" wheels & tires which should fit without any crazy & expensive additional modifications. You can go 18 or possibly 19, but be prepared to pay alot more for the wheels & tires and/or mini-tubs. And above all else make sure if you order stuff the salesman tells you will work and it doesn't work that there is no re-stocking fee and they will take the wheels back.

I hope this info helps. Be safe & Happy Motoring!

SSG&H

1) 1969 Camaro RS 396 TH 400, 12 bolt 3:73 sold 1994
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2) 1984 Z28, 5.0 H.O. T-Tops, G92 3:73, sold 1994
3) 1988 5.7L IROC-Z, sold 1994
4) 1969 Camaro bought 2006, back on the road in 2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by South Side Goons & Hitmen; Aug 22nd, 10 at 08:59 AM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 10, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Eric

Thank you SSG&H.
As long as I keep the overall diameter of the tires size I should be o.k?

eric

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 10, 01:02 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Eric,

That is the key..."Overall diameter of the tire"..... There is nothing wrong with wanting a car to handle like it's on rails...The fact you have some excellent goodies from Heidts will make your car handle much better than most first gen's out there.

In the auto & tire service industry when you go up a size it is called +1 sizing. Example a P205/75/R14 which was the radial equivalent to a bias ply tire has a 26.10 and overall diameter "OD" of 26.10"... A P195/75/R14 has an OD of 25.5 and that size was the stock radial replacement on alot of GM cars back in the day.....I run P235/60/R15's all the way around my car which is +1..... That 15" size has an OD of 26.10" just like the P205/75/R14's..... After the 15" size it's called +2 at 26.17" which was the OD on a P235/55/R16 for 1991 & 1992 Z28 Camaro's with the touring package and 305 engine. RS Camaro's also had that touring size with the touring package in Goodyear RS-A tires.... The IROC-Z or any Z28 with the 5.7L from 1987-1992 had high performance P245/50/R16 which had an OD of 25.64" and that's ok because the 1969 Z28 bias to radial equivalent was more like P225/60/R15 with a 25.62" OD and Goodyear made a VRS tire which was designed for oval track racing for the 5.0L Mustang GT & LX of the 1980's & early 1990's that could be used on a first gen.....P215/65/R15 was a very common size on 1982-1987 Z28's, Buick Grand Nationals, Regal, Cutlass etc and that had an OD of 26.0......Moving forward the next + size was +3 at P275/40ZR17 which could be had on 4th gen's through 2002....Even the 1991 & 1992 Pontiac Firebird SLP Firehawk ran P275/40/17 which comes in at 25.66" and is basically the same overall diameter as the 25.62".

The problem as you are probably aware of even with the +1, +2 or +3 and keeping the overall diameter the same is the car itself. We all know a gens 1-4 of Camaro's have different fenders, suspensions, etc. etc. etc. etc... It's going to be very difficult to stuff a P275/40/17 all the way around on a 1969 but there are guys on this site and others who have done it with the correct modifications.

Here is an excellent tire link for you to compare sizes & Overall Diameter "OD" http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCal...?action=submit

P225/45/17 will work and it's 25.0 in OD...You don't want to go too small in OD because I have personally seen too small of a tire in OD put more wear & tear on ball joints/suspension systems... I just checked the Tire Rack website..looks like they say a +4 aka P225/40/18 would fit on there and the OD is 25.4" which would be just right http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....o&autoModClar= But if you look at the price in tires you can get a BF Goodrich for $105 a piece in a 17" and for an 18" it is $251 each, which is what I figured...18's would look great and you should be able to put a P245/40/18 all the way around without mini-tubbing it.....But because it's lowered I would go the 17" route and LS1 powered Camaro's were running 17" wheels, (many of them pro-touring wheels) all day long!

P.S. If you have the stock P/S gear box I would go with the 3rd gen IROC set up. The 3rd gen p/s box improves the feel & response due to the ratio's of the box itself. I got mine from Detroit Speed about three years ago. My car sat for 2+ years... I recently got the car back and you'll hopefully see me more in the tech forums if time allows.

Remember that engineers keep the plus sizing of tires in mind as they make styling changes from year to year....Camaro's have generally been around 3,150 - 3,720 lbs and on average 3,400 lbs between 1967 - 2002 with available V8's and options....Engineers know the weight specs & limits when they design the car and the OD of the tire for V8 equipped cars has basically been about the same for 1967-2002. Of course as years went on emissions, a/c, p/w, pdl, radio, cruise, p/s and other options would vary the weight...And yes I was nearly ready to slap my friends upseide their heads when these guys were taking perfectly good newer pickup trucks, lowering them and sticking P195/50/R15 tires on 'em and wondering why their tie rods, ball joints, shocks, control arm busings etc. were junk by 25k 30k on the odometer back in the day....

In short: go w/ the 17's as LS1 powered cars were running 17's and there should be plenty of options for you in a metric bolt pattern pro-touring style and 17's would likely come in at a significantly reduced cost. P235/45/17 should also work....But you gotta measure the offset, backspacing etc as that varies with custom suspensions & wheels. I hope this bit of tire & wheel info history & facts helped you out....

SSG&H

1) 1969 Camaro RS 396 TH 400, 12 bolt 3:73 sold 1994

2) 1984 Z28, 5.0 H.O. T-Tops, G92 3:73, sold 1994
3) 1988 5.7L IROC-Z, sold 1994
4) 1969 Camaro bought 2006, back on the road in 2010

Last edited by South Side Goons & Hitmen; Aug 23rd, 10 at 01:38 AM. Reason: place important points in bold type
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode