Removing Rear Drums 68 Camaro - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 10, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
BYRON

Removing Rear Drums 68 Camaro

Hey Guys...I am trying to get the rear drums off to install new emergency brake cables. For some reason I can't figure out what's holding the drum on. The drum spins freely so the shoes aren't too tight.

When I spin the drum around and watch what's in the access hole, nothing seems relevant.

Attached is a picture...do I need to somehow remove the black cap in the center? I mean the drum is on so tight that is seems like the cap is holding it on. For kicks I tried "unscrewing" it with a screwdrive and mallet in ccw direction, but not budging. I've read every section related to the drums in the manual, but I'm missing something.

Any Ideas?

Last edited by slipracer; May 4th, 11 at 06:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 10, 05:09 PM
Senior Tech
Alan

Re: Removing Rear Drums 68 Camaro

If it doesn't move at all, it could be rusted onto the axle shafts. If there is slight movement off the axle and then it stops, it is hanging up on the brake shoes. If that's the case, you have to back off the brake shoes by inserting a shoe adjusting tool into the slot in the backing plate (inside bottom). I forget which way to go but if you go one way and it stops pretty quick and the drum no longer turns, you have adjusted the brake shoe out to grab the drum so go the other way with the adjuster.

If it is fused to the axle.....BFH to tap it hard enough to break the bond between the drum and axle but don't beat it to death.

Also, make sure there are no retention clips on the wheel studs keeping the drum on the studs.

alan
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 10, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
BYRON

Thanks Alan. I did try the BFH around the rim (with ear protection on) and didn't have any luck...but I wasn't thinking it was stuck to axle so I will try with this new goal.

The drums spin full 360 degrees with only soft contact of the shoes in some spots. Everything seems loose enough...as far as the shoes. I'll check for the adjustment that will loosen them further and try breaking them free.

Just to clear though...that black cap in the center does NOT have to come off first...right?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 10, 05:28 PM
Senior Tech
Al

No - the black "cap" in the center is the axle. Do like Alan says, and don't be bashful with the hammer. Spray some PB blaster or similar where the big hole in the drum and the axle meet. Let it soak in for a bit and give it some healthy whacks. You'll know when that part is loose. If the shoes are hanginng it up, you'll feel some springy resistance as you pull on the drum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 10, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
BYRON

Thanks a lot! I got the first one off. I was using a BH instead of the BFH. I'll get the other one tomorrow. Don't know how long this car's been sitting...

I guess I just needed a little reassurance that I wasn't going to break the drum in half or create another thing that needs fixing! Thanks again!

Byron
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 10, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Once you have the drums off, you might take and turn them backwards, drum pointing out, and slide off/on the drum onto the axle flange/studs for a fit check.

If it fits alittle hard or does not seat against the flange, take a round file or half round file and file the drum hole alittle for a better fit. Doesn't take much, maybe a revolution. Then take and spray some WD40 onto the drum center and axle flange and wipe off the excess. This will protect, somewhat, the mating surfaces to prevent sticking/rusting again. the drum and wheel are hub-centric, so don't go too wild.

Using a BDFH over a BH does help. You can wrap a rope or belt around the drum to prevent ringing, like a bell.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 10, 07:39 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Things that make pulling drums off a mission
1/ The drums are worn inside and the shoes are sitting in the 'groove'
....back the shoes right off on the adjuster
2/When the drum was put on last time (yrs back) the inside edge of the center hole was not cleaned and smeared with a little grease....When rust forms the rusted steel expands enough to grip as good as a weld...this can be id ed when on leavers the outside edge and the small flex isin the center of the drum.
3/Good soak with a penitrating oil, put pressure on the outside edge to slightly tension, then wack with a small sledge hammer around the center and will pop off.
failing that , put the wheels back on (without the little screw), pull the emergency brake on and take for a run around the block...gets hot, then pull the wheel off
Failing that..get the gas torch out, tension up and heat the drum up so expands , increases the diameter of the center hole, bash and will pop off.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 10, 03:37 AM Thread Starter
BYRON

Thanks guys. It's been so many years since I've had to touch drums...never thought I'd ever see them again. Then I had to go through the mid life crisis! That's what the wife calls it anyways. I'm finding myself 80 - 90% of the way there doing some things on the mechanical side so I have to come to you guys to push me over the top -THANKS! I'll end up replacing the drums when I can budget the new rims since the two will go hand in hand (It has 14 inch Mags on it)....I just gotta make these drums work til then. This project seems to have an open budget - there's always somewhere to stuff money!!!

Til then I'll clean up the rust, lub up the contact areas, and hope I don't need to get back in there for another year or so!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 10, 02:09 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
Then I had to go through the mid life crisis! That's what the wife calls it anyways.
No such thing m8 ...
We spend our early yrs climbing mountains, riding motor bike, 'rodding, surfing, hunterinf and chasin women
It was all real good fun but now we are older we look back and think "hell wouldnt mind getting into that again"
Those early yrs where just trying things out to see what we really like to do for when we can spend more time and afford to do it properly and seriously.
Not mid life crisis at all, we now know what we want to do, and dont play around like a kid anymore just trying it out.

Its like the generation gap BS..no such thing..
We raise our children and eventually they dont like the rules at home...they are not ment to...it is our home our rules our castle ..if they dont like them they can move out and have their own home with their rules (which happens to be similar to our rules anyway lol) it just the natural progression, progess of growing up and what tips the scales to them heading out into the big wide world independantly.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 10, 03:01 AM
kate

I was reading this thread since the first day and hoping for new comments to come out and give me more ideas regarding removing rear drums, thanks for sharing your ideas, I will probably try those tips on my car.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 10, 02:12 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by katelim View Post
I was reading this thread since the first day and hoping for new comments to come out and give me more ideas regarding removing rear drums, thanks for sharing your ideas, I will probably try those tips on my car.
Welcome to the site Kate. Have you got a Camaro and if you do what year? Hope we can help when you get in to it.

Roger

1967 Camaro SS/RS 350/295HP Coupe. First and only owner.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 10, 02:19 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

My comments above how to, is not just camaros...For most old cars english US Aussie, european, and 1940s thru to 1970s ..these are the sort of cars I work on...very often dismantling a diff or rear end thats sat in a feild for 50+ yrs.

Only ever had one we cut off with a gas axe...was a 1951 jowett javelin we where salvaging the axles.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode