Rally wheels vs. after market wheels? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 10, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Chris

Rally wheels vs. after market wheels?

I have a 68 Camaro original car for the exception of the wheels and am planning on replacing the wheels on it now. I'm having trouble deciding between rally wheels vs. after market. Original rally wheels are hard for me to find and expensive. Any thoughts and opinions are welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 10, 02:46 PM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage
Re: Rally wheels vs. after market wheels?

If you want rally's wait and get rallys. Otherwise there are numerous rally look alikes out there as well as a bevy of other styles that you may like instead. I never cared for rally's and always loved centerlines. Couldn't find a set of centerlines that I had seen back in highschool, but found a set of uniques that were dang close. I'm happy, but will always be looking for a set of the old aluminum centerlines.

Brandon J. licence 1NASTY67

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 10, 06:34 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

I'm partial to Rally wheels myself, but it really depends on the car. Somthing close to stock looking with a stock color / stripes I think looks better with rally wheels. Something tricked out looking with wild paint looks better with after market wheels in my opinion.

Welcome to the board! Tell us what you have - pictures are always appreciated too!

69 Pace Car and 69 Hard top

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 10, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Chris

I just bought a 68 Camaro LeMans Blue SS that's been sitting in a warehouse since 1990. I have it in the shop getting checked out by someone who knows more than I do. I will give some pics when I get it back.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 10, 09:49 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Call me old school but I say Ralley's. Also Yenko wheels (American Racing Torque Thrust II's) or anything period correct except those slotted aluminum wheels. I never understood the deal with the attraction to those wheels. However with said I had a rusted out 69 Firebird HO that looked like crap and then I put on a set of Cragar SS wheels with all new rubber and bam, the car looked awesome. I really hate big wheels though. Anything over 15's and I run for the hills!

Grandma, 69.5, Z/28 Finally Done! Well almost...

My Build Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 10, 06:15 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I'm not a fan of big wheels either, but I DO like WWWWIIIIIDDDDDEEEEEE wheels on the rear. I'm going to be going with either Cragar SS, or something VERY close to them, I think.
That means that my ralleys will be in the classifieds section later this winter

Jim
Hanging on the Maine Coast...moved back North

1969 RS/SS, 383, 4spd, 373s, 12bolt, FatMat, Vintage Air - Super Red, and it's my first Camaro.
Engine pics

Radiator pics

Build album

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 10, 06:39 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Centerlines look good on a SBC, Torque Thrusts, period correct, look good on a BBC, IMO.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 10, 08:26 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
Centerlines look good on a SBC, Torque Thrusts, period correct, look good on a BBC, IMO.
As usual, I got it backwards Everett!

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 10, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPOS View Post
As usual, I got it backwards Everett!
Not particularly, either wheel looks equally nice on a First Gen.

I remember others from way back, these were the choices the owners made, their car. The majority, SBC's had Centerlines, BBC's had Torque Thrusts, and L6's had chrome slotted or chrome reverse wheels. Just a trivia fact I grew up with. Same with other brands, also.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 10, 09:14 AM
Senior Tech
Russ

Here's a pic of my LeMans blue 68 vert when it had rally's on it.

and here is a pic after putting AR Torque Thrust D's on it. I think the TT-D's look better.

Russ (RJ)
The Garlic Capital, Gilroy,CA

(sold June 15,2014) 1968 RS convertible that is not quite stock

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 10, 06:23 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj68RS View Post
Here's a pic of my LeMans blue 68 vert when it had rally's on it.

and here is a pic after putting AR Torque Thrust D's on it. I think the TT-D's look better.
RJ - I have to respectfully disagree. I think those Rallys look awesome on your car ! (the newer wheels look good, too, but I'd go for the rallys). I'm 45 y.o. so that would make me old-school, anyway. Love the Lemans Blue - nice car

1969 / 350 / TH350 / 3.73 posi / driver
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 10, 09:14 AM
Senior Tech
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69z28freak View Post
Call me old school but I say Ralley's. Also Yenko wheels (American Racing Torque Thrust II's) or anything period correct except those slotted aluminum wheels.
It must be a generation thing because by the time I was into cars, first gen Camaro's where old and hot rodded. Aluminum slots where the cool new wheel, so they look "Old School" to me.

To the OP, I don't know where you are shopping for wheels, but reproduction rally wheels are pretty cheap. Of course by the time you add rings and caps the price goes up. Used original ones are cheap too, unless you are buying rare date coded stuff.
You could easily get 4 wheels with rings and caps for under $500

http://www.jegs.com/p/Wheel-Vintique...48965/10002/-1

Of course if you want, you can spend $261.99 on just one GM trim ring. But it sounds like you are willing to go aftermarket and get the look for a reasonable price.

http://www.rickscamaros.com/camaro-s...s-gm-1969.html

Last edited by 68 Ragtop; Oct 5th, 10 at 09:48 AM.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 10, 04:19 PM
Senior Tech
Russ

well I'm soon to be 47 so I must be more "old" school than Mark

The first time I saw the TransAm cars run at Laguna Seca (maybe 1972-ish) almost all of them had 5 spoke AR's or Mini-Lites. While I like the look of Mini-Lites I had always wanted 5 spoke "racing mags" on my car. In high school I couldn't afford them for either of my Birds, now I can. Everyone has their preference and say, that is what it's all about.

Russ (RJ)
The Garlic Capital, Gilroy,CA

(sold June 15,2014) 1968 RS convertible that is not quite stock

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 10, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Ansen Sprints were another good choice of wheel.

'
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 10, 08:54 PM
Senior Tech
Justin

In my opinion, on a stock first gen you can't beat rally wheels but I also like the look of some convo pros on an old school hotrodded Camaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode