Time for wheels and tires. - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 10, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Time for wheels and tires.

Hi guys. It's time for tires but I want to go with a vintage wheel too. Just finished looking thru the sticky on 69 Camaro wheel and tire combos. Lots of info. My Z is Cortez Silver. After looking at all the pics I think I have my combo but have a few questions. For wheels I am looking at the 15x7 AR TTO's, I think they are Series 309? and the TTD's and the Crager S/S's. Could use some opinions on the color differences with the torque thrust wheel center with a silver car. Personally I like the lighter look of the TTO's over the darker grey color of the TTD's but I have only seen the gold Z with the TTO's in the sticky. On the back spacing, what was used on the Yenko cars? 4 3/4" or 4 1/2"? Would this make a difference on the size tire I want to get?

Tire wise I want to get the BF Goodrich T/A's. 225 60 or 235 60 or should I go 70? I'm up in the air on this one. I want to keep the stock diameter size that was original to factory. I currently have 4.10's and will be going back to 3.73's sometime, so hopefully I won't have the speedometer being off issues. What do you all think?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

06A 1969 Camaro Z28
X33D80 69 B 711 Black Stripes
Console w/tach and gauges.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 10, 12:10 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Re: Time for wheels and tires.

Those are nice wheels, but I honestly like the old american racing 200s with the rough center spokes (not painted just textured)

The link below is to the gun metal painted centers with a polished lip:
http://wheelandtirepros.com/American...0SGunMetal.jpg

The link below is for the wheels with the textured center I am talking about:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1234832765

The textured ones are what I had on mine when I got it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	037.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	17900  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 10, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68IslTeal View Post
Those are nice wheels, but I honestly like the old american racing 200s with the rough center spokes (not painted just textured)

The link below is to the gun metal painted centers with a polished lip:
http://wheelandtirepros.com/American...0SGunMetal.jpg

The link below is for the wheels with the textured center I am talking about:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1234832765

The textured ones are what I had on mine when I got it.

I like the 200S as well until I saw the price. Really nice looking wheel too. Not a wheel you see very much. The non polished ones I saw on a Lemans Blue SS BB back in the 70's when I was in the Air Force. Whenever he went on a TDY he had his car chained to a telephone pole with a 25000 lb tiedown chain from a C5 so it wouldn't be stolen. Wheels looked good on his car.

06A 1969 Camaro Z28

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 10, 01:53 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

I never thought about the fact they sale for more than the tt2's. Maybe I should sell mine once I am done with this project. Best best is to find some used ones I guess. But like you said they are not seen alot.

post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 10, 02:33 PM
Senior Tech
Lex

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Z28 View Post
I like the 200S as well until I saw the price. Really nice looking wheel too. Not a wheel you see very much. The non polished ones I saw on a Lemans Blue SS BB back in the 70's when I was in the Air Force. Whenever he went on a TDY he had his car chained to a telephone pole with a 25000 lb tiedown chain from a C5 so it wouldn't be stolen. Wheels looked good on his car.
That's hallarious, chained the car down so no one could steel it ! I think the Cragers are best for Camaros, but to be different i got me some of these (Prostars) below.

68 Camaro / 400 ci / 3.73 10 /
Edelbrock Performer Series 600 cfm no. 14054
Edelbrock Performer EPS Intake Manifold 27014

98 GMC Suburban / 454 V8 / K2500 4x4

Last edited by Lexlas; Apr 5th, 12 at 07:59 AM.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 10, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexlas View Post
That's hallarious, chained the car down so no one could steel it ! I think the Cragers are best for Camaros, but to be different i got me some of these (Prostars) below.
I had 2 sets of the Weld Wheels with the holes but sold them off years ago. My first Z had Crager S/S on it in the 70's, like them alot too.

06A 1969 Camaro Z28
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 10, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

I just got a quote from NewStalgia which is pretty decent. One glaring question I have now is the TTO's and the TTD's have 3.75" backspacing which Shawn told me will work but not the best. Will this really be a problems with fit? Will I need to use spacers? I really like that old school look. My ralleys are at 4 1/4" backspacing.

06A 1969 Camaro Z28
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 10, 04:25 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Torque thrust D's would look good with the cortez silver I think. They would look even better if you painted the centers a darker gray color maybe since it would highlight the silver paint instead of compete with it, but even if you didnt I think its dark enuff to give a slight contrast

http://asp.americanracing.com/dealer...ga/mVN1053.jpg

Last edited by 68IslTeal; Sep 30th, 10 at 04:42 PM.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 10, 05:21 PM
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood

Quote:
Torque thrust D's would look good with the cortez silver I think. They would look even better if you painted the centers a darker gray color maybe since it would highlight the silver paint instead of compete with it, but even if you didnt I think its dark enuff to give a slight contrast...
I totally agree with your comments...the TTO's are gonna be too light in color and would compete with your Cortez Silver,I would consider something darker so it compliments it better.

If you looks through the '69 sticky,you probably saw my car,here it is with the 200S wheels that were mentioned previously,the natural cast color is a bit light for your application,IMHO:

These Vintage Wheel Works V-40's (or V-45's) would look killer on your car...and are timeless.have you considered them?:

Do me a favor and contact Jon Henson over at www.driverzinc.com he does all my wheels/tires and I bet he beats Newstalgia's prices with far more personal service too...tell him I sent ya.

'67 Buick Skylark F/C "Ingenue" 8/10 HRM feature / 2/12 Gasoline (Swedish) feature
World's only Buick-powered Buick Funny Car!

post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 10, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Quote:
Torque thrust D's would look good with the cortez silver I think. They would look even better if you painted the centers a darker gray color maybe since it would highlight the silver paint instead of compete with it, but even if you didnt I think its dark enuff to give a slight contrast

http://asp.americanracing.com/dealer...ga/mVN1053.jpg

Those are nice too. Well the TTO's are the same price as the TTD's anyway. I just need to pic one and stay with it. What was used in the day? I thought they were a goldish color. I can't remember. or where they the dark ones? The 3.75" back spacing is a concern though.

06A 1969 Camaro Z28
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 10, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by musclecarjohn View Post
I totally agree with your comments...the TTO's are gonna be too light in color and would compete with your Cortez Silver,I would consider something darker so it compliments it better.

If you looks through the '69 sticky,you probably saw my car,here it is with the 200S wheels that were mentioned previously,the natural cast color is a bit light for your application,IMHO:

These Vintage Wheel Works V-40's (or V-45's) would look killer on your car...and are timeless.have you considered them?:

Do me a favor and contact Jon Henson over at www.driverzinc.com he does all my wheels/tires and I bet he beats Newstalgia's prices with far more personal service too...tell him I sent ya.
Ok. Some more opinion. Yeah, my wife and I were just going thru that sticky and the other larger post as well. I am partial to the 200S, even my wife likes those. I think I saw them at $235.00 each somewhere for 15x7. Just a bit pricy for me right now. Can I get the V40 in 15x7? This why I'm looking at the TTD's too. I like that old style look.

Well so far it might be the TTD's with BFG P215 65R15 or 225 60 or 70. Not really sure yet what I want size wise. Suggestions on size T/A's?

06A 1969 Camaro Z28
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 10, 05:36 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Im repeating myswelf here about choosing the feet for yopur car, any car.
Do not choose a nice looking set of wheels and tyres...what u like on the shelf usaually doesnt suit the car

Very often it is the feet that you definately dont like on the shelf that does look right on the car

Do not choose something that when on the car stands out.....over and above the colour and lines of the car...choose something that accentuates the lines of the car...NOT the car accentuate the pretty feet.

Now take the yellow camaro above...the lines , curves on the rims fit in with the curves of the 1st gen...just like SS cragers do (which where orginally designed for this eara muscle car) and they fall into the 'solid heavy strong look of the 1st gen
Burt looking at them...they look real good but something missing...dont quite blend....maybe calapiers painted body colour and/or the center caps painted body colour or a couple shades lighter to 'bridge the contrast of the spokes to the car colour..

Flat spokes like in pics above confict with the lines...look good on the shelf, look good on more modern care with less curves/faltter panels.

Another issue with low profile large rims is the momentum created on the out side edges, and the stress created on the discs if still stock sizes....

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 10, 05:39 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Yeah gotta pick & stick, look at the wheels John has in the pix above, looking @ his 200s I agree the naturals would be to light colored. BTW I love the vww on ur 69 the lugs are just the rite touch.

Back in the day they made magnisum TT wheels which made the centers darker, but I do not recall any with goldish centers other than some vintage 48 style wheels that just have a little burnished look in the pix.

The more I look the more I think the tto's would do better, darker center spokes: http://asp.americanracing.com/dealer...ga/mVN3093.jpg

love the wheel design, but needs darker center for a silver car: http://asp.americanracing.com/dealer...ga/mVN0703.jpg I have seen these on a bunch of yenko/replica yenkos

post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 10, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Quote:
Yeah gotta pick & stick, look at the wheels John has in the pix above, looking @ his 200s I agree the naturals would be to light colored. BTW I love the vww on ur 69 the lugs are just the rite touch.

Back in the day they made magnisum TT wheels which made the centers darker, but I do not recall any with goldish centers other than some vintage 48 style wheels that just have a little burnished look in the pix.

The more I look the more I think the tto's would do better, darker center spokes: http://asp.americanracing.com/dealer...ga/mVN3093.jpg

love the wheel design, but needs darker center for a silver car: http://asp.americanracing.com/dealer...ga/mVN0703.jpg I have seen these on a bunch of yenko/replica yenkos

I think I'm going with the TTD's Gray. The one link for the Yenko ones look to light. I'm really beginning to see a picture in my head of what I want. The TTO's don't come dark correct, just light I think. I was checking out the link MuscleJohn posted and there are 2 different AR TT wheels with gray centers. I think I just need to pic one of those or the V40's John has.

John I sent an email to them for a quote for wheels and tires shipped to my door.

06A 1969 Camaro Z28
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 10, 06:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Z28 View Post
I think I'm going with the TTD's Gray. The one link for the Yenko ones look to light. I'm really beginning to see a picture in my head of what I want. The TTO's don't come dark correct, just light I think. I was checking out the link MuscleJohn posted and there are 2 different AR TT wheels with gray centers. I think I just need to pic one of those or the V40's John has.

John I sent an email to them for a quote for wheels and tires shipped to my door.
They do make the tto in that dark color, its called gunmetal gray....

VINTAGE TTO GUN METAL W/ MACH. LIP
(Series VN309)
two piece aluminum painted
http://www.americanracing.com/browse_vintage.asp

They have the darkest center piece of the torque thrust line

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode