Scratched My Rim - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 10, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Doug

Scratched My Rim

Happened this morning pulling into a narrow parking space with curbs on each side. I rubbed my rear rim on the concrete and scratched the lip. The scratches are not deep. Anyone had any success polishing out scratches on polished chrome? I'm concerned I'll just make it worse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 10, 09:40 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Unhappy Re: Scratched My Rim

Typical 'bright' Tri-Chrome plating is generally pretty thin @0.005 and 0.010 mil thick for most of these applications.
So ... using any abrasive method to remove a scratch is going to quickly go through the chrome to a substrate.

I would call the wheel maufacturer first and see if they have a recommendation.

Biggest short term issue will be keeping rust from forming where you scratched through coating - wax or protect that area until you come up with a plan ...

btw - I've 'fixed' a few of these sort of thingys on my kids and wifes car with the use of quick cleaning and a coat of "Chrome" paint applied with a small (usually a 'pin-striping' brush) to disguise it.
Pretty hard to see in most cases - but, I always know where to look and get upset all over again

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 10, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Doug

Re: Scratched My Rim

Good suggestions Vintage 68. I'm just going to wax it for now and cry alittle each day until I forget about it.

Doug

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 10, 10:34 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
... just going to wax it for now and cry alittle each day until I forget about it.

Doug
About all you can do

Still think about my first set of 15X8 Cragars on my 62 Impala back in 68 - got them fitted with a new set of f-70X15 PolyGlass' and was just "stylin'"
My cousin asked to try them on his new 69 Nova "to see how they look and fit" as he wanted a set like them - he then proceeded to 'dance' an impact socket off the first one he mounted on his car and scratch the "stuff" out of it
I just learned to ignore after a while - after a long-long-long while ...
He did buy dinner and for the next few nights

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 10, 10:36 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Hey Doug - What kind of wheel are you talking about? Chrome is Chrome and you can't remove scratches from chrome... You said "polished chrome" and when I hear polished I think of alloy or aluminum wheels.

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 10, 10:39 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steven

try this place. i have used them before

http://fixrim.com/index.php

http://www.wheelsamerica.com/

69 Frost Green Camaro
LS3 with TSP stage 3 cam
Tremec TKO 600
Moser 12 bolt rear with ford ends 3.73:1 Eaton tru trac differential
Speedtech pro touring subframe
Ridetech rear 4-Link

Follow my journey here:

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 10, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
Hey Doug - What kind of wheel are you talking about? Chrome is Chrome and you can't remove scratches from chrome... You said "polished chrome" and when I hear polished I think of alloy or aluminum wheels.
The wheel is a 17x8 Torque Thrust II on my 68. I can't remember the actual term for the finish but the wheel is not a high gloss chrome finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamatisg1977 View Post
try this place. i have used them before

http://fixrim.com/index.php

http://www.wheelsamerica.com/
Thanks for the links. I'm just just going to live with it a while and at worst case, I might buy a new rim and use the scratched one as a spare. The car is a 68 RS and is not a trailer queen. I restored the car in high school with my pops and the 20 year old paint job is showing some chips and scratches. It is just irritating that I did something as dumb as bumping a curb with rims I installed last year .
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 10, 08:05 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
The wheel is a 17x8 Torque Thrust II on my 68. I can't remember the actual term for the finish but the wheel is not a high gloss chrome finish.
The TTII wheels are polished alum and can be repaired and re-polished to look as good as new at places like Steven linked too. Look for a place local to you to avoid shipping charges (will double the repair cost) and possible damage when being shipped...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 10, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
The TTII wheels are polished alum and can be repaired and re-polished to look as good as new at places like Steven linked too. Look for a place local to you to avoid shipping charges (will double the repair cost) and possible damage when being shipped...
I need to break my crack pipe over my knee...for some reason I was thinking the TTII where steel. I guess I just slept too many nights since I bought the rims.
Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode