Abnormal Tire Wear ?? Non-Camaro - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 10, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

Abnormal Tire Wear ?? Non-Camaro

Today I noticed that the inside edge of the front LH tire on my older Honda Accord is wearing badly. Because the tread on the outer edge still looks okay I had not noticed the inside wearing down to the threads. Is this an alignment problem or do you think I have a worn out CV joint?
I'll put new tires on the front but think I better have the front suspension checked out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00388.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	18404  

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member # 159
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 10, 10:02 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

Re: Abnormal Tire Wear ?? Non-Camaro

Looks like an alignment issue. Is the car lowered?

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 10, 03:46 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

I would tend to agree, alignment issue, but also, low air pressure will do the same, along with a wider than OE tire, non-OE wheel, and a soft tire, Treadware rating less than 180.
It is amazing what caster does to a tire in a turn, really lays over.
I do like the camera picture showing the actual wear across the tread - you see the angle the tread has taken.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 10, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroman7d View Post
Looks like an alignment issue. Is the car lowered?
The car's suspension is not lowered. The tires are slightly wider than stock and I had recently let the air pressure get low, reinflated the tires a few weekends ago. The period of low inflation could be partly at fault. I'll put new tires on it and get the front end realigned.

Thanks.

Skunk Works
Some photos:

Member # 159
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 10, 05:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

alignment issue my man!!!..them are some fat tires...!!!

BILL D.
JOHN 3:16
SEMPER FI
if you have a bbc in your 1st gen 67-69 camaro click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post yours up!!

if you have an all original 1st gen camaro 67-69 click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post your up!!

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 10, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKY69 View Post
alignment issue my man!!!..them are some fat tires...!!!
These alignment issues are making me buy new tires before their time. With 130,000 miles on the car it has never been aligned up, but apparantly it is now due. This V6 Honda is also plagued with a troublesome 4-speed auto tranny which needs to come out for repair. This is the 3rd car in our family (4th including the Camaro) and almost never goes out of town. As I have heard before, this is a timing issue.... I should have sold this car last summer.
Those are 225's on the Honda and filled out the factory wheels and wheelwells pretty good.

Skunk Works
Some photos:

Member # 159
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 10, 03:25 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

I was thinking about this issue on the way to work this AM and it will be interesting to read the report.

I say this because there is no adjustment, as car bodies have developed in technology, alignment is built in. Other than worn suspension parts, springs maybe, there isn't much one can do, except add the feature of camber plates to add adjustment. Caster kills tires in a turn as the tire leans over and contact patch moves to the inside on the opposing turn, but then, turns kill tires anyway.

JMT's, I'm listening.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 10, 07:19 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

Send a message via AIM to tony -Di

ok since we are on the subject of abnormal tire wear if i may ask on my 67 camaro i allso have and allways had abnormal wear on the inside of the front tires .first i have wider tires on offset wheels i love the look of the wheels setting out so i used to have Micky tomsoms on front and i would have to change them every other year now i have radials and the ride is very much better but i have to change the tires and it has been 3 years i probley drive her around 2 to 3000 miles each year so my Q is if i remove the shimms out of the top control arms will it help or not ? and i have had the alignment done every time i get the tires changed
tony
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 10, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

It all depends upon the amount of camber the wheels have. Ideally, you would like the tire to have the same weight across the tread going straight ahead.

Theoretically, if you were to draw a line through the ball joints to the ground and draw a tire centerline to the ground, both would intersect at the ground for the best contact patch and the least amount of friction.

Install a wheel/tire combo other than stock, and the intersection goes either above or below the ground, adding friction, especially going around a corner - now the tire scrubs and wider tires scrub worse.

'
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 10, 03:38 PM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage

Here I thought it was my driving around corners faster than the posted cautionary speed. I have the same issue on my truck and the camaro. Both have standard sized tires on them though. Just not sure about the pressures.

Brandon J. licence 1NASTY67

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 10, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

I ended up putting a new set of Goodyear Eagle GT tires on the car and having the front end realigned. The local alignment shop, whom I do trust, confirmed that the toe-in was off and he realigned it.
The car drives good now. Thanks guys for your input.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00404.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	18630  

Skunk Works
Some photos:

Member # 159
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 10, 03:00 PM
Senior Tech
Rich

X33D80- aren't Eagles kinda overkill for a car with 130k on it? probably bad camber on that side ate that up toe is usually worn evenly on both sides or a combination there of caster wont wear a tire but can cause a pull if more than 1degree different -its usually about 1/2 degree higher on pass side to compensate for road crown -pull to right

69 R/S Z/28 302 X33 D80 late 09C
69 T/A clonification LS6-6speed under construction
15 ZL1
64 Chevelle wagon 6.0l planned sons toy
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 10, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman1969 View Post
X33D80- aren't Eagles kinda overkill for a car with 130k on it?
Perhaps, but the tire store got these for me for not much more than some other no-name brands. The Honda is one of the V6 top of the line (for Honda anyway) cars and I like the way it drives with quality tires.

Skunk Works
Some photos:

Member # 159
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode