tire pessure gauge! - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 10, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

tire pessure gauge!

I've got four tire gauges and each one of them give me a different reading. Anyone know of one that is acurate. Which one do you use?

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 10, 03:11 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Re: tire pessure gauge!

I made one using a guage from a house water pump and an air chuck, always accurate.

1969 Z28

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Firebird 400

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My new project for 2010 DONE/ Sold.

2002 Camaro SS LE/SLP
67 Nova SS 327, M20, 3.73
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 10, 03:46 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Use one gauge you are most comfortable using, and stick with it. Pick one, store the rest or give them away.

I use a pencil gauge I bought 40 years ago and no others. I do, or did have two Autolight, AirRite, or Airlight, whatever the brand name is, battery operated LCD display, yada, yada, yada, gauges and the battery indicated low. Instructions said lifetime battery replacement. I sent it USPS Priority mail and it returned, no such address. It was trash pick up day, I gave it the lifetime warranty straight to the landfill.

Still have my pencil gauge.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 10, 05:02 AM
Guess

Yeah... I've had those neato-cool digital gauges. Even one's they talk. Turned to junk in less than a year. Unless you buy one of those fancy expensive models with easy-to-replace batteries, don't waste your money.

I always fall back on my tried-and-true 'pencil' gauges like our fathers always used. Works every time and I trust it. Look for the decently made gauges... not those $.59 foreign made toys they sell at the checkout counter.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 10, 06:20 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Send a message via MSN to Mike_M

I have this gauge:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATM-2343/

It's an Autometer Autogauge tire pressure gauge, really easy to read, seems accurate. It was on sale at my local performance shop for $10. I really like it compared to the pencil type. I wouldn't have bought it if it weren't on sale, but now that I have it, I'd say it's worth the price.

Mike...

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 10, 07:43 AM
Senior Tech
Russ

Accu-Gage. I've had my HX60XA for almost 25 years and had it checked/calibrated twice and it was found to be within 1/2 psi each time so no adjustments were ever made. The one I have is rubber covered, has a 11" whip hose with a 45 deg fitting, and a bleed down valve. They are not cheap but IMO worth the money.

Russ (RJ)
The Garlic Capital, Gilroy,CA

(sold June 15,2014) 1968 RS convertible that is not quite stock

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 10, 12:54 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
I always fall back on my tried-and-true 'pencil' gauges like our fathers always used.
Mine was my fathers..
If you go to a reputable tyre shop...usually u can tell as no matter what sort of wheel they put on, they use a torque wrench....company policy..
They also usually get there tyre balancing , wheel alignment equipment plus their tyre gauges calibrated on a very regular basis....they usually have a 'master' pressure gauge

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 10, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks Guys, I have one like similar to the one Mike has and that one was my favorite so I guess I'll stick to that one.

John
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 10, 04:33 PM
Senior Tech

The older... the better. IMO KISS!

capt
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 10, 04:45 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj68RS View Post
Accu-Gage. I've had my HX60XA for almost 25 years and had it checked/calibrated twice and it was found to be within 1/2 psi each time so no adjustments were ever made. The one I have is rubber covered, has a 11" whip hose with a 45 deg fitting, and a bleed down valve. They are not cheap but IMO worth the money.
I have had one of these for 25+ years and have always liked it. Taking it by a tire shop for calibration check is a good idea.

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:

Member # 159
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 10, 05:23 PM
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj68RS View Post
I've got a good one but it only reads to 60psi.

Based on your recommendation,I just ordered a 100psi unit built to my specs with swivel end and rubber boot...for $22.45 shipped!

Made & assembled in the US of A.

'67 Buick Skylark F/C "Ingenue" 8/10 HRM feature / 2/12 Gasoline (Swedish) feature
World's only Buick-powered Buick Funny Car!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode