Stripped lock nut on rim ? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 10, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Lex

Question Stripped lock nut on rim ?

How do you remove a locked lug nut that is stripped on your rim ? As i tried to put on a spare tire i was trying to remove the broken rim and all the lug nuts came off but not the special lock nut. Every time i try to turn it, it just pops right off. I'm stuck and not sure what i can do to remove it. Anyone ever had this happen to them ? Here is a picture of the stripped lug nut below.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

68 Camaro / 400 ci / 3.73 10 /
Edelbrock Performer Series 600 cfm no. 14054
Edelbrock Performer EPS Intake Manifold 27014

98 GMC Suburban / 454 V8 / K2500 4x4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Lexlas; Apr 5th, 12 at 07:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 10, 10:03 PM
Ken

Re: Stripped lock nut on rim ?

they sell special sockets that take them off
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 10, 03:48 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Or weld a nut onto it, then unscrew it.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 10, 05:12 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Try this. Make sure the other lug nut's are tight, take a 12 point socket that will not quite fit over the outside diameter of the lock and hammer it on. Use your impact to take it off. Good luck removing the lock from the socket.

My Junk.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 10, 05:22 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Worse case, if it a 10 or 12 bolt, you may have to remove axle and brake drum and torch it off from inside. But I would try the weld on nut fix first. I bet Discount tire has such a nut removal tool. I have seen these reverse cut removal nut tools , Sears or Snapon Tools.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 10, 09:27 AM
Senior Tech
Terry

Lex, The picture of your lock lug key looks like a McGard. If it is a McGard there is a number stamped on it. Call McGard with the number and they will send you a new lock lug key.
Is the Key stripped or the inside of the lug nut stripped? If the lug nut is bad, the special socket works well. I removed a lock lug nut when I lost the key. Clamped on vice grips and turned with a big crescent wrench. Fortunately the lock lug nut wasn't torque'd on too much. McGard's ph # 800-444-5847.

Last edited by IRON MAN; Nov 4th, 10 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Phone number
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 10, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Lex

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRON MAN View Post
Lex, The picture of your lock lug key looks like a McGard. If it is a McGard there is a number stamped on it. Call McGard with the number and they will send you a new lock lug key.
Is the Key stripped or the inside of the lug nut stripped? If the lug nut is bad, the special socket works well. I removed a lock lug nut when I lost the key. Clamped on vice grips and turned with a big crescent wrench. Fortunately the lock lug nut wasn't torque'd on too much. McGard's ph # 800-444-5847.
I will surely check and call them, i did see a number stamped on it. Thanks again i was wondering how i'm gonna take all of them off.

68 Camaro / 400 ci / 3.73 10 /
Edelbrock Performer Series 600 cfm no. 14054
Edelbrock Performer EPS Intake Manifold 27014

98 GMC Suburban / 454 V8 / K2500 4x4

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 10, 09:12 AM
Senior Tech
mike

i ground a slot in the side on mine and tapped them off with a cold chisel didnt hurt any thing just protect car from sparks(obviously)
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 10, 09:29 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Angry Re: Stripped lock nut on rim ?

And NEVER let the 'Tire-Monkeys' use a Impact on the wheel locks

Ruined a set of locks on my "X's" car while I was out of town

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 10, 11:30 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Dremel with a cutoff disk maybe. My "go-to" tool.

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

-
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 10, 10:21 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 10, 02:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jon

Get a craftsmen deep chrome socket. When you hit it on to the lock nut the socket will crack and you will be able to take the lock nut off. I did this to all four locks on a car I purchased with out the keyed nut.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 10, 05:57 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage

Like b4scrambler said we used to hammer an old socket on and just turn it off. Use a lifetime guarantee socket and tell them it just failed because it won't likely be any good for anything else.

68 302 M20 - 85 IROC Z
The older I get the faster I was.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 10, 08:25 PM
Senior Tech
Jeremiah

Quote:
Originally Posted by scblucam View Post
Like b4scrambler said we used to hammer an old socket on and just turn it off. Use a lifetime guarantee socket and tell them it just failed because it won't likely be any good for anything else.
Working in the body shop busness I have to do this quite a bit. Its amazing how many people dont have the key to the wheel locks.

Find an old socket that just almost fits the lock and drive it on with a hammer.. the shock of the impact will bust it lose every time.

69 Z/28, red/white stripe, black houndstoot with docs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode