Mid Performance Tires???? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 10, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dee

Mid Performance Tires????

Working on my '69 RS/SS. So far I have installed a full Hotchkis TVS (I believe this has a 2" front drop and a 1 1/2" rear drop), Hotchkis tubular control arms (top and bottom), Comp Engineering sub frame connectors, and Comp Engineering slide-a-links.

Also have new Cragar SS wheels (old school kind of guy!). Fronts are 15 x 7 w/ 4" back spacing, rears are 15 x 8 w/ 4 3/4" backspacing.

I am researching an auto overdrive transmission to install this winter (have emailed Jakeshoe). Car has a 3.73 12 bolt rear. Current engine is a relatively weak (250 - 300 hp with decent torque) 350 SBC. Plan is to install new tires with these Cragars, the OD tranny, and finally (hopefully if the funds hold out) a mild 427 SBC (target 500 hp & torque). I may just steal Steiner's engine (only kidding! ).

This car will be a cruiser to have fun with, not a competition car. It will mostly just cruise with an occasional trip to the track or to an autocross course to have some fun. Initially I wanted to go RWL tires but am not overly happy with the selection available for what I want to do.

So now I'm thinking black wall. The car is a pretty dark color (Dusk Blue) so I think it will look pretty good with the Cragars. Back wall tires gives me a lot more to choose from (I think). I am thinking 215 60 or 65 15 on front and 255 60 15 in rear. I'd love to do a 275 60 rear but I don't think it would clear. I may buy and mount one 275 tire to see if it will fit.

So the million dollar question is, what tire should I use. It seems the performance tires are not available in these sizes. What do the experts suggest?

Thanks for any comments!

1967 RS/SS350 Camaro (mostly stock)
1969 RS/SS Camaro (being improved!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 10, 04:46 PM
Senior Tech
mike

Re: Mid Performance Tires????

bfg ta radial ,ill bet there is more muscle ridin on these than ALL OTHER other brands of tire put together... i like em...check my album im runnin 215 65 15 on 7" and 255 60 15 on 8",with 3 7/8" backspace front and rear,when i retire i will change the front to 215 60 15,as there is very slight rubbing on frame(cant feel or hear it ,rubs paint off frame)and the slightly shorter tire will provide more rake. i also have the tvs.
-mike
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 10, 07:29 PM
Senior Tech
JAY

My 69 Conv has stock front end, CPP Disc brakes conversion with 2 inch drop spindles. I am running Fuzion HR1"s. H-Rated. I have 205/60r15's on front and can't go bigger due to ride height. The cars has about 22 1/4 inches on front to top of wheel wells. and I installed big block springs to get it there. The rear tires are 215/65r15's with room for bigger. rear springs are upgraded to 4 leaf springs done at local spring shop.
there is only 3 1/4 inches between frame cross member and the road. I have to drive with care! I do like H-Rated tires...decent wear and good traction. I'm running 350/330hp crate motor, 700r4 beefed up trans, 10 bolt 1967 rear diff from 67 Pontaic Firebird 400 with factory tration bars. Jay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

66 SS Chevyll
67 Elcamino
68 Malibu 2dr
69 Camaro Convertible

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 10, 06:25 AM
Senior Tech
John

Blackwalls all the way. In my opinion, white letters look great with Rallys or SS wheels, but blackwalls are the way to go with Chrome wheels.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 10, 06:51 PM
Banned
Bethanne

I'd love to do a 275 60 rear but I don't think it would clear. I may buy and mount one 275 tire to see if it will fit. [/QUOTE]

I'm also planning on using a 275/60/15 on the rear. The rims I've heard will clear this are 4-1/2" backspace, so you have a good chance of the 275's fitting ok. If they rub the frame you can install thin spacers.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 10, 07:50 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

I think if you're going to auto-x it you're going to have to go to someone like Hoosier for a 15" tire in a decent compound. There are some good compound tires off the shelf, but they're usually around 225/50 or smaller which just doesn't look right on a first gen. Problem with the Hoosiers is that even the DOT road race tires are considered unsafe for street use. They make some pro street tires that are H rated up to 130mph.

With a 15" tire that looks right, the sidewall starts to get tall which is not very beneficial. Maybe think about getting another set of rims and meats for your auto-x days. Once you do the 427, it won't matter either way though.....even a 275 will scream for mercy.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode