68 Camaro Wheel Size - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 10, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Tom

68 Camaro Wheel Size

I am trying to get new tires for my 68 camaro, am using a 15 x 7 rim, with a 4.25" backspace. I am going for a more stock look, or slightly wider of more aggressive looking tire. Hoping to go with the same size tire all around to start.
Any suggestions on the tire size to go with? How about a 225 70R 15?
I really do not understand tire sizing all that well. I did have my body guy suggest a 215 65R 15 for the front and a 235 70R 15 for the rear. Not sure what this would do. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 10, 10:02 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Vince

Garage
Re: 68 Camaro Wheel Size

After reading all of the threads, double checking with various venders, and those in the huge wheel I tire thread I went with the setup below and would do it the same all over again... I didn't need to roll the wheel lips and there is no rubbing issues. This worked with my original stock suspension and body panels. I just replaced the front suspension to include Moog 6308s (very close to stock height with less spring travel) and it works great for both. You could even get away with a lower ride height. Got the tires and rims from Coker for about $1K. The other nice thing about this setup is that the side wall of the fronts is just slightly shorter that the rears and the difference in offset and width helps with a nice balance in the wheel wells.
If you want to go with a wider rear tire I would recommend less back spacing and you will most likely need to roll the wheel lips a bit but I have heard of people getting away with 255's and having no issue. Good luck!

My setup:
- Wheels: 15X7 with 4" bs up front, 15X8 with 4.5" bs in the back
- Tires: 215/65/R15 up front, 245/60/R15 in the back

Here is a photo with the original suspension:
https://www.camaros.net/forums/pictur...pictureid=1337

Vince
69 Base Coupe "The Wrecker" Project -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 rs/SS L48 4spd Convertible -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- SOLD

Last edited by vincevs; Nov 18th, 10 at 10:17 AM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 10, 10:08 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

You could go 15x7 all around as you mentioned in your post and run 235/60/15 tires and that would look fine, and allow you to rotate around like a normal daily driver would. Anything bigger/taller may rub up front, so that is your safest bet to fill that wheel well and give you a slightly wider set of stickies.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 10, 12:16 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68IslTeal View Post
You could go 15x7 all around as you mentioned in your post and run 235/60/15 tires and that would look fine, and allow you to rotate around like a normal daily driver would. Anything bigger/taller may rub up front, so that is your safest bet to fill that wheel well and give you a slightly wider set of stickies.
I would agree with the above. 4.25" back space works really well on my fronts (7x18) with a 225 series tire.

Matt

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 10, 08:22 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

The largest factory-installed tire for 1968 Camaros was the E70x15 size on the Z/28's. If you like the way those old bias ply tires fill up the wheel wells on a restored 1968 Z/28, then you might want to aim for a modern radial tire with dimensions that are fairly close. (Keep in mind that your rally wheels are 15x7 and a 1968 Z/28 came with 15x6 rally wheels, so you're already a little bit oversized in the wheel department compared to a stock Z/28.)

In my opinion, the most important dimensions to match off that E70/15 tire are the section width: 8.4 inches, and the overall diameter: 26.73 inches. You can browse the Radial T/A chart (or size charts for other modern radial tires) and find tires that are wider/narrower in the section width and you can also find tires that are larger/smaller in the overall diameter. (See attached charts from kelseytire.com and tirerack.com.)

If it was my car, I would go with 215/70R15 all the way around. They have a sectional width of 8.6 inches (up from 8.4 inches on the E70x15 tires), and their overall diameter is 26.8 inches (up from 26.73 inches on the E70x15 tires).

Good luck with your decision.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E70X15.jpg
Views:	1437
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	18820   Click image for larger version

Name:	tireSizes_radialTA.jpg
Views:	2344
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	18821  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 10, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Tom

thanks for all the advice, good suggestions. I will think about doing at least one thing you guys advised. thanks again
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 10, 02:22 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve A.

Send a message via AIM to flat350

Do a little reading here it might help you understand tires a little better http://www.1010tires.com/tech.asp?ty...general#sizing

Steve

68 work in progress , but I can drive it now - O5D build - 712 trim - 02 color
Think it was a 396 , 4 spd. - now in primer , 350 , 4 spd. , lots of new body and mech. parts
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 10, 07:30 AM
Senior Tech
Russ

I'm running 15x7 all the way around but only 3.76bs and running BFG's 225/60 up front and 245/60 out back. I admit I really prefer the old school taller sidewall look on a classic muscle car.

Russ (RJ)
The Garlic Capital, Gilroy,CA

(sold June 15,2014) 1968 RS convertible that is not quite stock

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 10, 02:11 AM
Senior Tech
Nev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Big Block View Post
I am trying to get new tires for my 68 camaro, am using a 15 x 7 rim, with a 4.25" backspace. I am going for a more stock look, or slightly wider of more aggressive looking tire. Hoping to go with the same size tire all around to start.
Any suggestions on the tire size to go with? How about a 225 70R 15?
I really do not understand tire sizing all that well. I did have my body guy suggest a 215 65R 15 for the front and a 235 70R 15 for the rear. Not sure what this would do. Any suggestions?
Here's mine
15 x 7 with 4 1/4" back space
235/60 on the rear
225/60 on the front

I have recently fitted 15 x 8 with 4 1/2" BS on the rear with 245/60 (no photos yet)

Rgds,
Nev

Almost finished (?) 68 Camaro
383 stroker
T350
12 bolt Moser
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 10, 11:16 PM
Tech Team
Sean

My '67 had 15"x7" form a 71 MonteCarlo on it when I bought it. The tires were 225-7R 15's all the way around. They did ot rub at all until I replaced the front drum brakes with a disc conversion from CCP. The suspension was original to the car adn was a little worn. So if you have a ne wset of springs all the way around and are running drum brakes up front, then I think a 22 70 15 will fit. The disc conversion from what I have learned...moves the wheel out about an inch, thus placing the tire directly over the lowest part of the wheel well, and thus causing the wheel run over dips and bumps. I'm not sure what the backspacing is for a 71 MonteCarlo, but that's what the wheels are coded for. I'm sure the info is easily found.

1967 CAMARO SS/RS 350
4 SPD CONVERTIBLE
TRIPLE BLACK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode