Rear Wheel Alignment Problem - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 10, 06:00 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brandon

Rear Wheel Alignment Problem

I noticed that my passenger rear wheel is ~3/4" out or towards the fender lip compared to the driver's side. The driver side is ~ 1/4" from inner wheel well and the passenger side is ~ 1". This car have never been hit or in any kind of accident and has all original sheet metal. I have added Hotchkis 1.5" lowering multi-leaf springs and all new hardware (urethane rear bushings, rubber front bushings, heavy duty shackles, u-bolts, spring pads, and nut clips). I am absolutely positive the multi leaf perches are seated correctly with the leaf springs with the leaf spring bolt protruding through the perch and the leaf spring nodule protruding through the shock plate. I had new spring perches welded on the 12 bolt, but they are exactly the same distance from the axle flanges.

I have read a few posts where unmolested cars have this same issue and it wasnít a problem since the factory did not install wide tires. I read a post that said you can measure any original car and the passenger wheel will be out from 1/2 - 3/4". Anyone with this same problem?

I don't want to add a wheel spacer to correct the problem. I'm considering moving the axle perches over 0.375". This is the only way I feel I can correct the problem without messing up the geometry of the car. The axle has already been powder coated which sucks. Any ideas?

Brandon
67 Butternut RS 4spd. Muncie w/ OD (0.87 4th)
408CI w/ 508HP/530TQ
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 12 Bolt, Hotchkis Springs, 3" Magnaflow
Wilwood Brakes, March Pulleys, Vintage Air, Foose Legends

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 10, 06:34 AM
Senior Tech
Ed

Re: Rear Wheel Alignment Problem

Mine was about a 1/4" to the driver's side. My understanding is that it is a very common issue.

The only way to know if you have something to correct is to drop a plum line on various frame points to measure to see if your frame is centered, straight and true. It might just be that your body is offset to the frame or it could be that the frame and body isn't straight the only way to tell is to take some measurements.

Ed

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode