Stagger or NOT to Stagger... - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 10, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Stagger or NOT to Stagger...

Hey guys,

I don't post much but I read your posts a lot and have some questions. Hopefully you can help me:

I about to order my rims for my 68 and I'm leaning toward Billet Spec 18x10 rear w/ 295/35 and 17x8 front from w/ 245/40. Offsets are yet to be determined.

REAR - I have installed DSE tubs and QuadraLink suspension; 12" hat style rotors on a 9" from a 68 Bronco.
Front - Heidt's dropped and tall spindles and stock A-arms; 13" hat style rotors.

Question - I'm mainly concerned about rubbing on the front. I know several people on this forum are running the 245 on the front. Any concerns?

Question - What do I need to be concerned with if I go ahead witht he 17" and 18" stagger?

Thanks in advance,

Roy
69 Firebird
68 RS TPI Camaro (in process)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 10, 10:32 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Re: Stagger or NOT to Stagger...

Back spacing will be the most important here..

I'm running in the front with Hotchkis 2" lowering springs and stock disk brakes 18x7's with a 4" back space, 18/245/40 G-Force tires and no rubbing issues.

I'm running in the rear with Hotchkis 1.5 lowering leafs and a stock 12-bolt and drum brakes 18x9.5 with 5.5 back space, 18/285/40 G-Force trimmed the outer quarter lip 1/8 of an inch and slightly rubs on the inner quarter. Next size tires will be 18/275/40

Hope this helps..

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 10, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Skeeter55 - Thank you for the response. I see that you have your tire/wheel combo on a 69. If I'm not mistaken, the front and rear wheel wells on a 69 are wider than a 68. I was hoping to hear from more 67-68 owners. Maybe I should not have tried to be so "creative" with my thread title. If I don't get any more responses soon I'll try again.

Thanks again,

Roy
69 Firebird
68 RS TPI Camaro (in process)

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 11, 02:14 AM
Senior Tech
Pete

Im running the following on my 68: 18x8 front, 18x9 rear Boyd Coddington Junk Yard Dog 2-piece aluminum wheels, powder-coated in flat black. Toyo Proxes 225/40-18 front and 275/35-18 rear (next set will be 295/35). Front is dropped 2" and rear is 3". I get some rubbing front and rear over bumps but Im ok with that, wanted the look. If i got stiffer springs up front and bend the wheel flange in the rear I'd be much better off but I have other things I gotta do first. Offset is gonna be key!

If I could do it over again I'd go with 18x9 front and 19x10 rear. I like super aggressive wheels

Check with the Coddingtons over a www.billetwheel.com. Chris Coddington (Son of Boyd) knows the right backspacing for almost every car! Good luck

Pete
1968 Camaro
2009 Porsche 911 Carrera S

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode