Removing locking lug nuts - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 10, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jelle

Removing locking lug nuts

Hey guys,

My wheels have got locking lug nuts installed, and of course, the adapter bit wasn't included in the deal because it was nowhere to be found.

It's a long shot, but is there a chance anyone recognizes the type or so? Or does anybody have a good idea on how to remove them.

The best idea I heard so far is to weld on a regular bold, but I'm scared my wheels will get damaged that way - and I really like the wheels

Any help would be great,

thanks a lot.

Jelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 10, 08:31 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

Re: Removing locking lug nuts

Your only choice is to remove them and buy ones where you have the key. What I have done in the past is find a 12-point socket that 'fits' and drive it on with a hammer, then remove it. Use a 1/2" drive socket. There usually is not enough material to drill a hole and use a screw extractor.

If space permits, you could try grinding two flat spots on opposite sides and then just use a Crescent wrench as an alternative.

-Kevin

'68 RS Camaro, 454 SBC
'69 Camaro, body only
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 10, 09:43 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

Those look like McGard type locks. Most Tire Stores or dealerships will have a Master Lock Removal kit, and can probably take those off for you. Snap On Tools makes a master kit also as well as other tool dealers like Mac. etc.
Otherwise you can use a big socket like mentioned and drive it over the lug nut.
FWIW - I have also had success by taking a normal open ended lug nut clamped in a pair of vise grips with the ground lead attached, and then mig welding down the centre of the open ended nut. The spatter is usually contained in the open end nut, and you can allways cut a old welding glove apart and wrap it around that area to contain the spatter.

2002 Jerry Bickle Cavalier, 446" Small Block, Brodix Canted Valve, lenco 5 speed, 7.54 @ 180. mph,1.06 60', 2235 lbs for 2014. GM Canada Docs, Highly Optioned 69 RSZ28 , Hugger Orange, White Stripes, 42,000 mile survivor, owned since 1973.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 10, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jelle

Thanks for the tips guys.

I don't car if I lose the lugs, I just want to get my wheels of for balancing and polishing..

I'll check the local car dealers, but I don't think they'll be able to help - european cars huh..

Thanks for the help! I'll get 'em of sooner or later, one way or another
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 10, 06:52 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

I have removed some of those with an air chisel (used with caution).

Jeff
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 10, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jelle

Chisel might work! Just some sharp metal chisel and some counterclockwise hammer hits might do it! Good idea!

Thanks
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 10, 05:33 AM
Tech Team

Arrow Re: Removing locking lug nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionCritical View Post
What I have done in the past is find a 12-point socket that 'fits' and drive it on with a hammer, then remove it. Use a 1/2" drive socket.
-Kevin
I have used this method one more than one occasion. Use a socket that is just smaller then the diameter of the lug and use a BFH to drive it on. I will caution you that it may ruin the socket. I usually go buy a cheap one that than be thrown away.

Good luck.

Roy
69 Firebird
68 RS TPI Camaro (in process)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 10, 07:36 PM
Senior Tech
TJ

Snap On makes a removal kit... kinda high for one time use but its the easiest way to get them off without damage to your wheels.

1969 Camaro 306ci., M21, 10 bolt 8.5" with 4.56s... still being put together.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 10, 08:23 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

I had the same locking nuts on a Chevelle I bought 35 years ago. Just like you I didnít have the key. I drove a piece of galvanized water pipe onto the locking nuts with a big hammer and removed them with a pipe wrench. If I remember correctly it was 3/4 inch pipe about a foot long.

Steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drove it for the first time in 1972 when I was 15.

Better looking than a '56 Ford or Plymouth.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 10, 06:42 AM
Senior Tech
JAY

12 point socket trick works, also around here Discount tire will do it as will most repair shops. we have 2 kits where I work. Jay

66 SS Chevyll
67 Elcamino
68 Malibu 2dr
69 Camaro Convertible
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 10, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jelle

Looks like there's some different options to try out. Thanks guys, big help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode