Rear wheels rubbing - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 10, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Clint

Left & Right rear tires rubbing

Just bought a 68. Have drove it only a few times, have had a little tire rub in the back, mostly the left. Today my wife was riding in the back seat, almost every time I turned into a driveway etc, they rubbed. Either way left or right. The rubbing seems to worse with a passenger in the back. My wife only weighs 96 lbs...
The tire size is 275/60/R15. Can someone tell me what is going on? Both tires have sustainal damage to them?
Thanks in advance for the help,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 10, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Clint

Rear wheels rubbing

Just bought a 68. Have drove it only a few times, have had a little tire rub in the back, mostly the left. Today my wife was riding in the back seat, almost every time I turned into a driveway etc, they rubbed. Either way left or right. The rubbing seems to worse with a passenger in the back. My wife only weighs 96 lbs...
The tire size is 275/60/R15. Can someone tell me what is going on? Both tires have sustainal damage to them?
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 10, 02:30 PM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Re: Left & Right rear tires rubbing

A 275 60R15 tire is a tall tire to start with and with a light spring in the back a little weight will easily put your tire up inside the wheel housing. You probably should look at a 260 or 255 tire. Check your back spacing on your rims before doing so just to ensure its correct.

My 68's resurrection thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 10, 02:34 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Left & Right rear tires rubbing

Wrong back spacing on wheels or the tires are too big. I believe 275 is the maximum tire you can have without mini tubbing, but your back spacing has to be right.
Where on the tire is it rubbing ? Inside edge or outside edge ? What is your back spacing ?

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 10, 02:44 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Re: Rear wheels rubbing

Rubbing on the outside of the tire I assume? You might have springs sagging. Checking ride height vs specifications would be a good idea. Another question that needs to be answered is what backspacing the wheels have.

69 Pace Car and 69 Hard top
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 10, 04:35 PM
Senior Tech
Nev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigdon View Post
That's a wide tire you've go there.
What is the back space of the wheel?
Is the damage on the outside of the tire?
If so, you may need to "roll" the inside of the wheel arch to get more clearance. (I removed some metal while doing body and paint on my 68 just in case I needed a llittle more clearance)
You may need to change the wheel to a more suitable backspace.
You may need to change to a tire that is not so wide.

There are a number of options

Rgds,
Nev

Almost finished (?) 68 Camaro
383 stroker
T350
12 bolt Moser
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 10, 04:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jon

The only way they will fit is if you roll the lip or jack up the rear. I widened my inners and the 275' sucked right in on a 9'' rim. I have room for a 10" and will be changing this winter. The silver car is mine the purple car is stock inners.

Last edited by JR67RS; Jan 5th, 11 at 02:06 PM.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 10, 04:29 AM
Senior Tech
alex

do you have a single leaf or multi are your shocks ok check your ride hight .probably wouldnt a bad idea to round the fender lips roll them up check your wheel spacing or offset. air shocks might ashort term cure for new springs but not too much air used them once on mine it rode like a solid axle and then broke the upper shock mounts good luck AL
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 10, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Clint

Thanks for all the feedback. I don't understand what back space of the wheel means. Can someone tell me what it is and how I determine it?
The springs are multi leaf. Yes it is rubbing on the outside of the tire. The guy that finished the car left a piece of metal haning down a bit on the inside of the wheel well (both sides) now both tires have damage on the outside of the tire. Again thanks for the help.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 10, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Clint

Re: Left & Right rear tires rubbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJS69 View Post
Wrong back spacing on wheels or the tires are too big. I believe 275 is the maximum tire you can have without mini tubbing, but your back spacing has to be right.
Where on the tire is it rubbing ? Inside edge or outside edge ? What is your back spacing ?
Rubbing on the outside of the tire. I don't know what you mean by back space. What is it? How to I determine? Thanks
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 10, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Clint

Thanks for all the feedback. I don't understand what back space of the wheel means. Can someone tell me what it is and how I determine it?
The springs are multi leaf. Yes it is rubbing on the outside of the tire. The guy that finished the car left a piece of metal haning down a bit on the inside of the wheel well (both sides) now both tires have damage on the outside of the tire. Again thanks for the help.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 10, 06:49 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Clint please only post the question in one forum... I went ahead and merged the two so you have all teh replys in one place...

See if this helps you understand backspacing...

https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 10, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Clint

Sorry about posting in 2, won't happen anymore. Thanks for the backspace info, the backspace measure 4 inches. Any help? Thanks
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 10, 09:22 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Knowing the backspacing is a good start, but you also need to know how wide the rim is so you have something to reference it to. Which would mean removing a tire and measuring the rim.

In the mean time, can you trim that metal away without damaging the car? That's what I'd be looking into first.

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 10, 12:51 PM
Senior Tech
Tony

im running 295/50/15 but have my 68 up higher than factory so no rubbing.
what metal are you refering to that is hanging down by the tires??
heres mine

love them all corvettes,camaros,chevelles!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode