spare for a 67 Camaro (can you point me to one)? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 10, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Paul

spare for a 67 Camaro (can you point me to one)?

Picked up a 67 Camaro RS couple months ago, and love it. But I've been driving around without a spare, and I know that'll bite me at some point

Can anyone help point me to the best place to pick up a spare? (I've been hitting local junk yards and tire places, but have come up empty so far here on the east coast of Florida.)

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 10, 01:07 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Re: Anyone have a "spare" spare for a 67 Camaro (or can point me to on

What type of brakes?
You can really just pick up any 14" rim with Chevy (5 on 4 3/4") bolt pattern that will clear you brake type and mount @ 205/70R-14 tire for a spare. Should fit both front and rear in an emergency ...
Look for a rim with "JJ" code for profile and it should clear most any near-stock brake set-up

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 10, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Paul

Excellent! Drum brakes all around. The second people hear "1967 Camaro", I get the "ooh!" for the car, and the "ahhh... no" for the tire/rim. Most recent junk yard chat I had was "we don't have one, but we should have something that will fit close..." Ah, no. lol.

Any suggestions on places where I could buy one outright? (And def looking for the "any wheel in a pinch" approach - my back tires def a tad bigger than the front <grin>)

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 10, 01:20 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

paul, remember if you have different size tires from the front and the back that if you have a flat in the rear to make sure that the spare tires are the same size or else you can chew up the rear end. you may have to change two tires if you have a flat to keep the rear end the same diameter.

1969 Chevrolet Camaro 396 SS X-66

1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS Convertible

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 10, 01:32 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninPhoto View Post
... Any suggestions on places where I could buy one outright? (And def looking for the "any wheel in a pinch" approach - my back tires def a tad bigger than the front <grin>)

I have no idea where you live (other than 'Florida') so no recommendations.
But nearly any late 1960's~1980s GM or Chevy mid-sized vehicle used compatible rim size ...
The junk/wrecking yard should have a Hollander Interchange book to give you a range of donors - give them part numbers 3871919 or 9791450 as a starting reference, should give you a few chioces from their yard.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 10, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Paul

Brandan: Quick check - between my jeep and my wife's car as context, quick question - with my jeep, I've got the full size spare (and all 4 tires same size), with the mini, while all the tires are the same size, the donut spare (just to get down the road) I don't think is same diameter. Since I'm mainly going to have the spare for the "get the few miles to someplace that can fix the tire", any short term issues? Back tires are "fatter" but not sure if they're taller, so I'm going to go do some measuring. Mainly just looking to get a tire in the trunk so I don't get stuck on the side of the road somewhere (but not planning to ride on it long).
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 10, 10:52 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: spare for a 67 Camaro (can you point me to one)?

No short term issues in running an "Emergency Spare" for a few miles (or even a day or so) at reduced speeds until you can have the flat repaired.
The problems arrise with different tires sizes turning the differencial 'spider' gears at different rates for long periods - these gears ride in bushings and cups, rather than the roller/ball type bearings the axles and other components made to rotate do. Loading the spider gears for a prolonged period of time or at higher speeds/loads will damage them and their support system.
I've seen spider bearing cups worn to thin slivers by continuous running with odd non-matching rear tires.
Same goes for front drive cars (like a Mini) and their trans/axles ...

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 10, 10:28 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Re: spare for a 67 Camaro (can you point me to one)?

Paul, I have an old Jeep Cherokee with 31 inch tires all the way around. the donut spare is significantly smaller. If I get a flat in the front I just use the donut spare, no problem but not for long term. If the flat is in the rear I will move one of the larger tires to the rear and put the donut spare in the front to get me home. I have a small extra jack under the rear seat to jack up the side of the jeep if I have to change two tires on one flat.

hope it helps, john explained it better in his post.... it is one of those things that you don't think about until it happens and burns up the rear.
Brandan-

1969 Chevrolet Camaro 396 SS X-66

1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS Convertible

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode