BOSS Motorsports Rims - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 11, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

BOSS Motorsports Rims

Hello all, I know a lot of people are considering the new BOSS 338 rims for their camaros. I just thought I'd share my experience. I'm planning on putting 18x8's on the front and 20x10's on the rear of my 67 camaro. I purchased these rims and so far these are the problems I encountered:
-the 20x10's I received were not a matching set, one of the rims had a different style of center cap
-one of the rims had peeled chrome plating
-the replacement rim I received after waiting 2 months had a new problem, the center cap falls right out of the rim
-the replacement rim also has casting marks which the other 3 rims don't have
-another one of the rims I was given has an extremely tight center cap, so tight I was barely able to get it in with a rubber mallet

Like many others on this site I put a lot into my car and when I buy a brand new product I expect a certain degree of quality, especially if it is something like a big chrome plated wheel that is highly visable. I haven't had much help from the retailer, distributor or manufacturer on resolving this issue, so I'm stuck with a rim that requires the center cap to be glued in place in hopes that it will stay.

If I had to buy rims over again I would go with another manufacturer. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure a lot of people are happy with these rims, but if you are one of the unfortunate ones like me that receives a defective rim, don't expect much or any customer service from this company. It's too bad, because I would have expected better quality control and customer service from a company that prides itself on the fact its product is "made in the usa". And from the sound of it, I'm not the only one that has problems with their customer service:
http://www.lxforums.com/board/archiv.../t-209888.html

Anyways, I just wanted to share this with others considering these rims.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 11, 07:33 PM
Senior Tech
Robert

Re: BOSS Motorsports Rims

Wow. Sorry to hear of all that trouble and let me just say I think you are handling it much more tactfully than I would be able to.

I inquired of the exact same wheel, different sizing with a notable wheel vendor about a month ago. I was told to simply "Just forget about the Boss wheels. You don't want those things."

There is a red '68 sporting a set that I have had as my wallpaper about 4 different times.
I'm now thinking Boyds Cast series, Vintage5's, Smoothie3's or Ultimate5(cast).

Same old '68 since 6/24/89
(Well, with a few changes along the way)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 11, 07:57 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Boss are made by American Eagle Wheel Corporation... Here's there address,

American Eagle Wheel Corporation
5780 Soestern Ct.
Chino, CA 91710

909-548-4097. Fax : 909-364-8651

Don't settle, keep your composure just like you have in this thread and don't stop! Call, write and always ask who ever you speak with for both their name and their bosses name and phone number... Stick with it and don't forget the BBB and the BAR will let you file complaints against them. With a bit of persistance I doubt you'll need to but if it gets that far do it!

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 11, 07:01 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for your response. Roberts68, that's good someone else also warned you against these wheels. I guess this is a case of getting what you pay for. The set cost me about $1200, an equivalent set of Boyd rims would be at least twice as much. I think I will end up selling these and switching to a better quality wheel.

DjD, I had some correspondance with the big boss at BOSS (lol), he told me he would get this problem sorted out for me, never heard back from him and he ignored my responses when I tried to followup to see what was going on. I made so many calls to the retailer, everytime there seemed to be a different story. The distributor won't deal with me directly. I just got sick of wasting my time with this and it was just stressing me out way too much. I've encountered so many problems with all the repro panels during my build, but those problems I could always fix myself (especially with everything I've learned from this website). This one however I can't seem to get resolved and it's definitely been the part that cost me the most grief. If I can at least save some other camaro lovers from the same headaches at least someone benefits from this experience.

If you want a cheap rim for a daily driver that you only expect to last you a couple of years then these might be the rims for you, but if you want a rim for your pride and joy definitely stay away from BOSS rims.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 11, 07:53 AM
Senior Tech
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivet View Post
I guess this is a case of getting what you pay for. The set cost me about $1200, an equivalent set of Boyd rims would be at least twice as much. I think I will end up selling these and switching to a better quality wheel.

If you want a cheap rim for a daily driver that you only expect to last you a couple of years then these might be the rims for you, but if you want a rim for your pride and joy definitely stay away from BOSS rims.
I have to disagree with you there Rivet. More money, but I think 2x more is a stretch.

My homework shows that with a meager 10% off discount for being a Pro-Touring.com forum member any of the Genuine Boyds wheels I mentioned would have been approximately $1440 to my door and that was for 18x9.

Sadly there appears to have been a price increase since as it would take a 20% discount to get down to even $1476.35 at todays price.
vintage5
They are not the much higher buck billet ones but rather precision cast and welded into the same hoop.
Perry from PTS is who I was talking to. He is not the fellow who told me to avoid Boss though. PTS is a newer company and as I write this their website is not up yet.
pts wheels
Perry's PT.com profile page
If you are going to sell yours perhaps you should research the expense of powdercoating just to maximize your return on the initial investment and/or minimize the loss. Dunno if it would pay or not.

Edit: I was just doing some other impromptu homework...
DriverzInc posted some VWW wheels today and I went for a stroll on their website. They list the same Boyds I listed for $350/wheel so that's back in the price range I was originally talking about. Dang near turned my credit card into a mexican jumping bean but I managed to control it... for now.

Last edited by Roberts68; Mar 11th, 11 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Additional Info.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 11, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

I stand corrected. I see on ebay you can get a set of 18 Boyd J5R's for $1163 with free shipping. Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing, lol.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 11, 01:16 PM
Senior Tech
Robert

Those may be counterfeit. Boyds J5R list for nearly $800 per wheel.
At this time they appear to only be available in the billet version. The other wheels I mentioned are in the "cast series" and have precision cast centers which makes them less expensive to produce than their billet cousins.

Genuine Boyds j5r list pricing

I'd love to save that sort of money but Ebay get's my hackles up... makes me sort of nervous about the origins of their products.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 11, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

They're definitely not counterfeit, even places like discountires and wheelsforless are selling these rims for about $300 a piece with free shipping...I agree, for the price they would have to be cast wheels. The coddington website is probably just out of date.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
338, boss, protouring, rims, wheels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode