T/A Radials Rubbing - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 11, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

T/A Radials Rubbing

Here's the next issue I'm dealing with. I just got the motor and transmission put in my 68. I'm running Hotchkis 2" drop coils 1.5" drop leafs, Global West stock height solid bushings & tubular control arms. I thought I was going conservative on tire size but I guess not. I have 215/65-15 on the front with 15x7 rally wheels (4.0 BS) & 255/60-15 on the back (4.5 BS). The car hasn't been aligned yet but I noticed the driver's front tire contacts the fender/inner fender before it reaches full wheel lock. Passenger side clears no problem but of course I haven't test drove it yet. I verified the subframe was aligned when assembled. Should I drop tire size (maybe 205/60-15) or change wheel back space to 4.25-4.5 in front? I'm also using Right Stuff's disc brake conversion with factory spindles.

Any help is much appreciated.

1968 Camaro Coupe: Forged 383, AFR heads, Edelbrock Air-Gap intake, Holley 750 dp, Dynatech headers (557 HP/543 TQ), TKO-600, 12 Bolt 3.73, Vintage Air.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 11, 07:10 AM
Senior Tech
Russ

Re: T/A Radials Rubbing

Get it aligned first as somethings off, possibly the camber. Could be related to the GW a-arms as they do alter the geometry. I'm running 225/60-15's upfront with Hotchkis springs on 7x15's with 3.76" BS on stock a-arms and no rubbing.

What is condition of your ball joints and wheel bearings ?

Russ (RJ)
The Garlic Capital, Gilroy,CA

(sold June 15,2014) 1968 RS convertible that is not quite stock

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 11, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

RJ,
That's what I'm hoping, that the alignment takes care of it. Not sure if it'll be enough though.

All ball joints & bearings are new.

1968 Camaro Coupe: Forged 383, AFR heads, Edelbrock Air-Gap intake, Holley 750 dp, Dynatech headers (557 HP/543 TQ), TKO-600, 12 Bolt 3.73, Vintage Air.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 11, 12:03 PM
Senior Tech
Russ

I looked at GW's specs after your earlier post and they do change the stock suspension geometry. The spec lists a 6 degree change to caster and a different camber curve.

Russ (RJ)
The Garlic Capital, Gilroy,CA

(sold June 15,2014) 1968 RS convertible that is not quite stock

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 11, 02:11 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

My 68 has GW upper/lower control arms along with their 1" drop springs (more like 1.5"). I run 7x18 rims (4.25 BS) with 225/45/18 tires. No rubbing issues whatsoever. I think you need more BS.

Matt

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 11, 05:54 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Those tires should be fine. If you've replaced the steering box at any time I believe a lot of rebuilt boxes have the internal stops set to accept a range of cars rather than specific models. I think they moved from using internal stops in the box to external stops on the car in later years but I'm no expert. I've had three boxes and two different tire setups on mine and could make all of them hit the frame.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 11, 07:42 PM
Senior Tech
Dan

I use to run almost that exact setup without issues. I'd check the alignment before getting too worried. When I went to 245/45/17's I had to go to button head screws on the inner fender, but 215/65/15's cleared fine.

62 Corvette (Stock Restoration)
68 RS/SS Camaro, LS7/T56
68 RS Convertible project LS3/480/4L70
2006 Corvette Z06
2011 Corvette GS Convertible
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 11, 03:42 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Thanks for everyone's reply's.
Steiner - I'm using an AGR variable ratio box. I'm pretty confident the box has the correct steering distance lock to lock.
I know these GW arms have 6 degrees of caster built in so I'm going to try the alignment first to see if I get the extra clearance.
I'll keep you guys posted.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode