Almost figured it out... - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 11, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ed

Almost figured it out...

I currenty have 245/60/14's on my car and the wheels are from a chevelle which means they have a 4.375 BS. They both rub just a little bit but not much. They also leave a gap that I'd like to fill in a bitt. I also want to stay with Rally wheels.

So, I'm thinking going with 15" rally wheels and 215/70/15 tires which would give me 26.9 " diameter or about 1 1/4" more height then what I have.

So I have a few questions:

1) Should I go with X6 or X7 wheel for a 215 tire? I know both will work, will one look better?
2) and this is tied to #1, what BS should I go with to make sure there's no rubbing? From what I can tell, If I went 6" I'd go with 3.75" BS and be fine. If I go 7" it looks like NPD has 4.5 (I'm worried about this rubbing)

Thanks in advance for your help. I can't wait to get this done!!

Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 11, 04:41 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

Re: Almost figured it out...

I have 215/65s on my 15x7s. Looks just right. A little shorter than the original bias ply tires. I think the factory BS is 4.25"

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." ..... George Washington

Gary,TC Member with a Lemans Blue/Ivory 02D X33, DZ, M20, MS, flat hood. Only the BU code rear end is original.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 11, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ed

I was looking for 15x6 with 3.75 BS and found a them at NPD and summit (wheel vintiques)

NPD has them for $139 each

Summit has them for $59.95

What's strange is it looks like the summit wheels are used for 2 different bolt patterns (I think I've seen these before and they have more then 5 holes)

Anyone have experience with either? That's a big price difference? Any other options?

Thanks - Ed

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 11, 07:43 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Are you concerned with performance? Going from a 245/60/14 to a 215/70/15 will give you less contact patch and more flex in the sidewall, neither of those are good for handling.

If you get the backspacing right, you should be able to run 245/60/15's all the way around without any rubbing, and it would allow you to rotate the tires.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 11, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Rally View Post
Are you concerned with performance? Going from a 245/60/14 to a 215/70/15 will give you less contact patch and more flex in the sidewall, neither of those are good for handling.

If you get the backspacing right, you should be able to run 245/60/15's all the way around without any rubbing, and it would allow you to rotate the tires.
Thanks for the response. Here are my goals in order of preference:

1) No rubbing issues at all (currently have them in front on full wheel lock)
2) close the gap between the current tires and the fender well (~27" diameter will do it)
3) keep the wheels / tires all the same on all wheels (might be open to changing - see below)
4) performance

Here's the look (wheel diameter) I'm after... this car has 225/60/15 on front and 255/60/15 on back. I wish I knew what BS it has and if they have any rubbing issues

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 11, 01:58 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by emdoller View Post
Thanks for the response. Here are my goals in order of preference:

1) No rubbing issues at all (currently have them in front on full wheel lock)
2) close the gap between the current tires and the fender well (~27" diameter will do it)
3) keep the wheels / tires all the same on all wheels (might be open to changing - see below)
4) performance

Here's the look (wheel diameter) I'm after... this car has 225/60/15 on front and 255/60/15 on back. I wish I knew what BS it has and if they have any rubbing issues
If you want to play it very safe, I think 225/60/15's with 4.25 BS on a 15x7 rim would work very well all the way around, but I think a 235/60/15 would be fine as well. If you don't need them the same all the way around, the you could go with 225's or 235's up front, and move up to a 255 in the rear on a 15x8 with 4.5 BS.

I wouldn't try to close all of the gap with sidewall. If you want to close the fender gap more, then a set of lowering springs might be a better option.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 11, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Rally View Post
If you want to play it very safe, I think 225/60/15's with 4.25 BS on a 15x7 rim would work very well all the way around, but I think a 235/60/15 would be fine as well. If you don't need them the same all the way around, the you could go with 225's or 235's up front, and move up to a 255 in the rear on a 15x8 with 4.5 BS.

I wouldn't try to close all of the gap with sidewall. If you want to close the fender gap more, then a set of lowering springs might be a better option.
I just took a wheel from a corvette 15x6 with 205/75/15 (has 3.5" BS) and put it on the car just to see how it looks in the front and the back... looks pretty good and has about a 27" diameter. (has about 6" of sidewall vs which is what I'd get with a 255/60)

It gave me the look I wanted but I don't think I'd want to push the wheel out anymore which means if I go with a 7" wheel and 4.25 BS I'd be at 3.75 which I guess is only a 1/2 more than what I just tried. If I went with 4.5" BS on a 7" wheel I'd get back to 3.5.

Do you think I'd have an issue with rubbing on the front if I went with 7" and 215/70/ 15 with 4.5 BS?

Forgive the crappy picture but here's what it looked like with the vette wheels... of course I would have BFG Radial TA's so they would NOT look black... honest thoughts? I had to put one wheel (all I had) on and then I spliced the front and back of the car

Ed

Last edited by emdoller; Mar 13th, 11 at 02:55 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 11, 05:58 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Tires and wheels are a very personal thing. What one person likes, the next won't.

I have 195/75/15's on front and 235/60/15's on back because that's what my car came with, but I ordered a set of 245/40/18's for the front and 275/40/18's for the rear. So I don't think we have the same taste.

I think 60's are a great look on a muscle car, but anything more is too much sidewall for my liking.

However, I don't think you would have any trouble with rubbing if you run the 215/75/15 on a 15x7 w/4.5 BS.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 11, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ed

Thanks. I appreciate it. I'll give it some thought and let you know what I end up doing.

Ed
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 11, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ed

After thinking about this for a day, here's my latest thoughts.

Rally wheels 15x7 with 4.25 BS

Front tires: 225/60/15

Rear tires: 245/60/15

This should give me about 1" more height in the back which is what I need.

Do you think I'll have any rubbing issues?

Ed
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 11, 04:42 PM
Tech Team
Harry

I have a 68 Camaro, with 2" drop all the way around. The wheels are 15x7 Ralley's with 4.25 backspace. Front tires are 215/60-15 in front, and 245/60-15 in back. Get a slight rub in rear if going over a bumb on th freeway sometimes, but otherwise all is well.

Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode