Tech Team

Will this fit? 69 RS/SS stock body

WELD WHEELS - Classic RT black anodized
795B-57276 15x7 = size 5x4.75 = bolt circle 3.50 = back space FRONT Package

795B-58278 15x8 = size 5x4.75 = bolt circle 4.50 = back space REAR package

Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/R tires
6640 28X10.00R15LT (REAR)
6650 26X8.00R15LT (FRONT)

I like both the wheels and these tires, but not sure if this combination will fit and if so what it would look like on my cortez siver 69 RS/SS with a cowl hood. Body is stock but engine is a 600+ HP 468 ci. custom race engine. Please offer any suggestions too that would not require and wheel well mods. Thanks. Taras.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 11, 02:23 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Re: Will this fit? 69 RS/SS stock body

For 7" wide front wheels, it seems like 4.25" of backspacing is usually ideal. Going to 3.5" of backspacing could lead to some rubbing especially if your front is lowered. You might consider the 795B-57278 wheels (4.5" of backspacing) and then add .25" spacers if you find the tires are making contact with the subframe.

Someone smarter than me will comment soon.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 11, 06:40 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Give yourself some credit, Jeff. I agree with you 3.5 isn't enough on the front. Then again, I'm pretty dumb myself so consider the source.....

I run a 17x8 on the front with 4.75" backspace so the 15x8 with 4.5 may work fine. On the rear you can step up to a 9-9.5" rim with 5.5" backspace. 11" width tire is just about the max for stock wheel well though. I'm going by my experience on a four wheel disc car though which pushes the rim out just a tad more than drums.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 11, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks for the comments. I called Weld directly and also took my camaro to a local camaro builder/restorer www.carsbyss.com and both recommended the 3.5 backspacing for the front independently. As you can imagine, I do not want to buy a wheel that does not fit, but I feel that their experience should be sufficient.

That being said, is there any way to actually test for size definitively? I am getting nervous about making a decision.

Thanks.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 11, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Now I just found this article written a couple years ago, but it directly references WELD. It says 4.5 backspacing for both front & rear for 15x8 wheels. Could the 1" difference come from downsizing to a 15x7 wheel for the front? or is that not a factor? Now I am really confused.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...els/index.html

Taras
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 11, 04:58 AM
Senior Tech
Monty

I will weigh in on this. Not Welds but rallys on my pretty much stock suspension. I have what is recommended above (8"/4.5"bs and 7"/4.25"bs) with no issues whatsoever. Tires are: 255/60R15 back and 225/60r15 front. Hope this helps. I agree the 3.5 bs will not be enough.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 11, 06:39 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

With a 7 x 3.5 on the front and a 8 x 4.5 on the rear, the wheels would have equal dish on the outside, I personally like to have more dish on the back that the front. I too run a 7 x 4.25 ralley on the front of my 69 with a 215/65R15 tire with no issues.
Mike
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 6th, 11, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

UPDATE: I ordered the 15x8 4.5bs for the rear - no surprise there and I ordered the 15x7 4.5bs for the front. I almost went with a 15x6 wheel for the front, but decided not to. Any thoughts on that one? The same M/T tire will fit on the 6" wheel or the 7" wheel so I thought just take the wider one and be done with it.

Thanks for all your comments. Without them I certainly would have gone with the 3.5bs in the front and maybe had a clearance issue.

Now I have to wait three weeks for the wheels. Bummer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode