Tire Clearance question - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 11, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Jimmy

Tire Clearance question

I have a 67 Camaro with 2" drop spindles installed on it and I want to use 15" rally wheels with P235/70R15 1025 Firestone tires. The front end is not alined yet and the tires are rubbing the finder wells when turning the steering wheel from side to side. I don't know if they will clear after alinement or should I replace the spindles with stock spindles. Does anyone know if these tires and rims will clear or should I go back to stock spindles?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 11, 10:00 AM
Senior Tech
Terry

Re: Tire Clearance question

WELCOME to the TEAM! I took the GM rally 15 x 7 rims with BFG TA 225/70 x 15 off my '56 Chevy Coupe to see how they would fit my '68 Camaro with stock spindles and 1-1/2" CCP lowered coils. They fit the car standing still pointed straight. NO WAY on the street or backing out my driveway. Tires hit the front fenders. The TT "D"s with BFG 225/60 x 15's all the way around are a perfect fit on my '68 Camaro which has Hotchkis multi leaf rear 1" lowered springs. See USER CP for pix.

Both optimists and pessimists contribute to society. The optimist invents the automobile, the pessimist seat belts, head rests, disc brakes, and air bags.

Last edited by IRON MAN; Apr 27th, 11 at 10:12 AM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 11, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRON MAN View Post
WELCOME to the TEAM! I took the GM rally 15 x 7 rims with BFG TA 225/70 x 15 off my '56 Chevy Coupe to see how they would fit my '68 Camaro with stock spindles and 1-1/2" CCP lowered coils. They fit the car standing still pointed straight. NO WAY on the street or backing out my driveway. Tires hit the front fenders. The TT "D"s with BFG 225/60 x 15's all the way around are a perfect fit on my '68 Camaro which has Hotchkis multi leaf rear 1" lowered springs. See USER CP for pix.
Thanks Iron Man - You went to allot of trouble for me and I appreciate it very much. This information is what I needed. Thanks Again

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 11, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Jimmy

Thanks Iron Man This help a lot.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 11, 01:01 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky king View Post
I have a 67 Camaro with 2" drop spindles installed on it and I want to use 15" rally wheels with P235/70R15 1025 Firestone tires.
Those tires sound a little tall for the front. I think you'd be better off with a 60's series tire and losing the drop spindles. If you want to keep the stance lower, you might want to look into a set of lowering springs in place of the drop spindles.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 11, 01:25 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Drop spindles and "most" 15" wheel don't play well together

Thanks Dave Pozzi
http://www.pozziracing.com/first_gen...geome.htm#Drop Spindles

DROP SPINDLES
Plan "D"
The drop spindle kits use second gen parts, on a cast iron spindle similar to a second gen spindle with caliper mount cast in. The steering arm is two inches lower than a stock Camaro and the caliper mounts two inches higher in relation to the upper A frame, which can cause caliper to A frame clearance problems.

Several problems develop when you use drop spindles.

You can't fit some wide tires, the tie rod end winds up two inches lower in relation to the wheel so forget wide front rims.

Geometry stays stock which is not good on a Camaro.

Just trimming the springs to lower the car will put the geometry in a slightly better position as far as camber gain.

You may have clearance problems with the upper ball joint to caliper.

You can't use any aftermarket disc upgrades, they won't fit.

Steering arms are cast in, so you can't bend them to fix bumpsteer. You would have to use a rod end and spacers on a stud.

I have to apologize for using this photo. I took it from a web page of someone I exchanged E-Mails a fiew years ago. I can't find the E-Mail or web page or I would just provide a link to his page. I think this is the only image on my page that I don't have the owners permission to use. I feel the photo shows the problem so well, that I'll leave it here for a while.

I have a matching photo with the same wheel and tire but on a stock spindle, the tie rod end is two inches higher with that combination.

Another point, this is a Stainless Steel Brakes drop spindle, I don't know if other drop spindles are better or worse than this one. I don't know if Superior spindles makes all the drop spindles or if they are all making their own. If your 17" wheels have 4.25" backspace or less, they should clear, with "drop" spindles, according to posts on Team Camaro forum.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 11, 01:33 PM
Senior Tech
Russ

Like Terry stated, I run 15x7 TT-D's with 225/60's up front and Hotchkis springs. They fit just fine and no rubbing.

Russ (RJ)
The Garlic Capital, Gilroy,CA

(sold June 15,2014) 1968 RS convertible that is not quite stock

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 11, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Jimmy

Thanks everybody for the valuable information. You have helped me come to the decision to replace the drop spindles with stock spindles. I appreciate everyone's help.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 11, 12:33 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

The drop spindle can still work... may just need to try a 16" wheel ? Thats how a buddy got around it.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode