Tires rubbing with new setup - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old May 1st, 11, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Jv

Tires rubbing with new setup

Hi everyone...new 67 camaro owner and have a big problem. Put on 2 in drop spindles and tires are hitting outer fender. Car has global west suspension and big block springs on from with 18 inch wheels? Not sure of backspacing but the wheels are pushed out close to outer fender edge. Can anyone tell me what size wheels! Backspacing I should limit this to. I am trying to get the stance low and am about an inch too low now. Love the look so I want to change the wheels instead of ditching the drop spindles. I really appreciate any opinions and feedback. In a bind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 11, 06:09 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage
Re: Tires rubbing with new setup

What size tires are you running currently and how wide are your wheels?

You can pull the current wheel off and measure the backspacing. Just lay a flat edge across the back of the wheel and measure to the mounting surface of the wheel.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 11, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Jv

Wheels are pretty big. Fronts are 18 X 9 w 5 in bs with 235 40 tires. Guy at shop telling me to fit I need to go 17 X 7 w a 4 in bs. I really don't want to go to a 7 width.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 11, 07:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
joseph l clance

U could try coil spring spacers. you can control the amount if lift to return from the drop spindles. maybe a 1/2 " or so may limit or eliminate the rub. your stuck with the backspacing. more negative camber may help also help you out. i dont know how much you can massage the front fender outers with the wheel wells attached?

69 X-44 base coupe, ZZ4, 16lb nodular flywheel, Center force DF clutch + PP, Holley 600DP, Hooker super comp 1 3/4 ceramics, 2.5" dual exhaust w/ X-pipe, flowmaster 40 series mufflers.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 11, 07:29 PM
Senior Tech

Depends on a lot of things and its going to be tough to help over the internet. Alignment is going to be big, including how much neg camber you can get out of your current set up. I've seen 9s fit, but all of the planets need to be in alignment. I have 18x8 with a 235 and 4.75" of BS and with my old set up it was close. My new set up can get me a bit more neg caster and I clear better. I don't think you can roll the front fenders on these cars, mine is almsot nil, the fender well prevents any of that. To get a 67 to look low, it takes a lot of effort and money. Ask me how I know.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 11, 10:50 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

I have not seen anyone on here able to fit a 9" wheel on the front of a 67. I have 17X7 on the front with 4 1/4" BS and it rubs a little. You should be able to get 8" with proper BS so I would do a search.

68 RS Coupe 355/350 TH, Detroit Speed, Hotchkis, Vintage Air, 8.5" 3.42 posi 10-bolt, MagnaFlow 2 1/2" exhaust, etc.

"The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men."
Samuel Adams
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 11, 03:27 AM
Tech Team
Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jv67 View Post
Wheels are pretty big. Fronts are 18 X 9 w 5 in bs with 235 40 tires. Guy at shop telling me to fit I need to go 17 X 7 w a 4 in bs. I really don't want to go to a 7 width.
Not specifically speaking camaros here, but a 5 inch backspace on a 9 inch wide wheel I believe /should/ be a 0 offset. 7 inch wide with a 4 backspace should also be a 0 offset. So your offset isn't changing, just the width. So technically, if you're moving from an evenly spaced wheel (offset hasn't changed) each inch you go is about 25mm width in difference (rim, not tire).

Where are the tires rubbing? I don't know enough about the fenders on the camaro to know "what's normal" to rub, but if it's just the lip rubbing on the outside of a tire, or the tip of it you just need to think of the backspacing as even.

Basically for every inch wider you go on a wheel on a perfectly 0mm spaced wheel, you're increasing the width each side from the center half an inch. So if you go from 7 inches wide to 8 inches wide, you're actually going .5" on the inside and .5" on the outside incrementally. So if you're rubbing by "just a little" or "just barely" you may not have to drop down a ton unless you're rubbing a ton.

Also tire size and profile will have a lot to do with it too. My daily was rubbing the oil return lines because someone put 245/55 on the rear, I moved down to a 225/50 and it made a HUGE difference in clearance, same rims. All the clearance in the world now.

Here's an awesome wheel calculator to play with, it'll give you an AWESOME visual of the changes you're wanting to make.

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

Just change the size you have on the left or want to, and then put what you had before on the right and you'll get a visual idea of what is happening. Really cool program.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old May 16th, 11, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Jv

Thanks everyone. I gave driverzinc a call and bought some nice foose wheels 18 x 8 with 245 40's on front. Clears fine on passenger side but for some reason driver side rubs under hard braking or decent bumps in the road. It's hitting on the outer fender inside wall. Going to call driversinc tomorrow for ideas but wonder if it could have something to do with my springs. I am almost ready to put the stock spindles back on which will be very disappointing after all I went through to get this far! Thanks for all your advice. I am new to this site and appreciate everyone's time.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old May 17th, 11, 09:44 PM
Senior Tech
JAY

Greetings from Arizona
My 69 Droptop rubs on hard turns with 15x6 custom rallys and 2 inch drop spindles. My front fender at top of wheel well is 22.5 inches, front cross member is 3 inches from pavement. I'll never do drop spindles again, drives like a slot car but sits too low. J

see photobucket

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

66 SS Chevyll
67 Elcamino
68 Malibu 2dr
69 Camaro Convertible
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old May 18th, 11, 05:02 PM
Senior Tech
Brian

Sometimes you can get away with changing the fender bolts. They stick out about 1/2 and I went to a cap screw with the same thread and they have a round head. It still rubs on a really heavy wave or bump in the road but about 1/10 as much as it used to.

I have owned 3 69 Z/28s: Garnet Red 30,000 mi unrestored.
Glacier Blue, documented Canadian Z
Rallye Green purchased new in 1969
1968 Camaro Coupe L30 275 horse. ]
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old May 18th, 11, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Jv

I removed the bolts entirely and spot welded the wheel well to the fender and it still rubbed. Starting to think the springs on this were either chopped or heated by a prior owner. Going to try new springs. Any recommendations on which springs work best with drop spindles? Thinking moogs 6320's based on searching posts on this site? Thanks everyone for advice. This has become an exensive undertaking that started as a brake upgrade
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old May 18th, 11, 08:31 PM
Senior Tech
JAY

I put Big Block springs in my 69...it did get me up about 1/2 inch but still only 3 inches off ground at cross member. MOOG springs on all my cars j

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

66 SS Chevyll
67 Elcamino
68 Malibu 2dr
69 Camaro Convertible
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old May 19th, 11, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Jv

Which moog big block spring are you using? Do you have drop spindles?
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old May 19th, 11, 07:33 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

This is a '69 with 17x8 with 4-3/4" backspace with 235/45 tires on discs. The rears are 17x9.5 with 5.5" backspace and 275/40 tires.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old May 19th, 11, 09:26 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jv67 View Post
I removed the bolts entirely and spot welded the wheel well to the fender and it still rubbed. Starting to think the springs on this were either chopped or heated by a prior owner. Going to try new springs. Any recommendations on which springs work best with drop spindles? Thinking moogs 6320's based on searching posts on this site? Thanks everyone for advice. This has become an exensive undertaking that started as a brake upgrade
If you're going to replace the springs - and still have the stock spindles on the shelf - I would recommend something like the Hotchkis or Eibach drop springs and reinstalling those stock spindles.

Lots of guys are running that setup - it's been well tested and it works. Throwing springs and money at your drop spindles and hoping for the best sounds like it could get frustrating.

Another inexpensive option are AFCO adjustable spring shims and 9" circle track springs from Speedway Motors with stock spindles. Good info here: http://www.geocities.com/casanoc/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode