Tires too old?!!! - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 11, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
mike

Question Tires too old?!!!

I recently visited a tire shop that buys and sells new and old tires. I was going to pay to mount these four barely used tires on some ralley rims. The man said, "I wouldn't put these on anything." "Why," I asked? "Because they are ten years old," he said. He had read the date of manufacture on the sidewall.

I've got four BF Goodrich tires that have hardly any treadwear that were given to me by a friend for my car. Inside the tire is a rich black ribbed finish. The tire man was saying that these tires might give out on the highway even though they look new. Do you think he has a valid point? Should I just trash them or give them away with a warning? Or, would I be letting go of a good set of tires?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 11, 01:12 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Tires too old?!!!

They don't make tires like they use to.... A while back I bought rims with new looking tires for the 67 GMC I was building. A month or two later the tread separated while sttting in the driveway before I even got it running! I had to take them back off and buy new ones. The guy at the tire shop said the reason the new looking tires split was because they were 6 years old.

Ron
The
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

An exercise in interchangeability on a Well optioned 67 SS 350 vert.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 11, 03:56 PM
Senior Tech
Terry

My twin brother lives in Germany. He recently said, "In Germany tires more than seven years old will not pass mandatory annual inspection."

Both optimists and pessimists contribute to society. The optimist invents the automobile, the pessimist seat belts, head rests, disc brakes, and air bags.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 11, 06:02 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

I work in the tire industry and you do not want old tires on your car. they have a date on them for a reason. Would you drink two year old milk if it still "looked like new"?

Seriously without getting too technical, the tread wear is the least of your worries, everyone can see when a tire is worn out. What you can't see is belt package separations, liner failure, bead seraprations, these are the types of "unseen" issues that will cause a tire to fail dramatically. You have no idea how the tires were stored or cared for either. Ozone cracking (weathering) is also an issue with old tires and depending on the conditions the tires don't even have to be that old to show signs of ozone damage.

A LOT goes into making a tire and a tire is a very complex working peice of equipment, don't chance it. There is so much more to a tire than most people know.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 11, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
mike

Good responses... some funny but to the point. I especially benefited by understanding why technically it's not a good idea. Thanks guys... they get mounted on my Camaro.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old May 4th, 11, 07:29 AM
Senior Tech
Russ

I won't run tires older than 7 years. On my motorhome I just took off 7 year old tires that had only 45,000 miles on them but "looked" fine. The risk of a blow out is just far too great and the risk of injury or loss of life just isn't worth it.

Russ (RJ)
The Garlic Capital, Gilroy,CA

(sold June 15,2014) 1968 RS convertible that is not quite stock

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old May 4th, 11, 07:45 AM
Senior Tech
Lex

From my understanding is after 7 years or so they are no good. But thats just the rumor i got after reading tons of reviews online. I personally would not put them on. I would suggest new ones. Just my 2 cents

68 Camaro / 400 ci / 3.73 10 /
Edelbrock Performer Series 600 cfm no. 14054
Edelbrock Performer EPS Intake Manifold 27014

98 GMC Suburban / 454 V8 / K2500 4x4

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old May 4th, 11, 08:05 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

I have a brand new, never mounted set of Goodyear's in my basement. I've stored them stacked in a dark corner for about ten years. If I can't put them on the car, can they be warranteed?

Jeff
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old May 4th, 11, 12:56 PM
Senior Tech
Ron

I've a set of 40 year old P295 x 15 BF Comp T/A's V-Rated which I still use. When new I didn't think twice about hitting 150 mph+. 40 Years later they still look great but think again when the Speed-O approaches 100mph. I'm sure your Circle Check before Driving Any Vehicle will detect Tire Problems.

I take care of these tires every year with a good cleaning and Anti-UV-Rubber treatments.

I did prefer the Old Rayon Belted Radial over these Newer Steel Belted Tires.

BF & MT Build Great Muscle Car Tires for the Street, which last for Years, as long as you don't burn them up ;o)

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

Last edited by Z15CAM; May 4th, 11 at 01:06 PM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old May 4th, 11, 03:30 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z15CAM View Post
I'm sure your Circle Check before Driving Any Vehicle will detect Tire Problems.

This is not true. There are plenty of tires that "look" just fine that fail every day. If you can see the problem then it is already fairly serious. You have no idea what's going on inside that tires and I'm not talking about where the air is held.

Now I'm not saying that every tire that is 7 years old is going to burst into flames, but the older they are the more likely things are breaking down. Rubber does dry out, bonds break down, etc.. Tires are not made from one compoud of rubber that have a few belts placed in the mold. Tires are made up of several different compounds of rubber (in a single tire), separation is something you are not going to see while looking at a tire on a car and unless it's terrible, you will not see it if you have the tire dis-mounted and in your hands.

One of the machines I deal with is used just for this purpose, to check for separations in a tire casing (lasers, cameras, vacuum, etc...) just to check for a separation.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old May 5th, 11, 02:58 AM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
"In Germany tires more than seven years old will not pass mandatory annual inspection."
That or similar is manitory in most countries....and manufactuors
On the other side of the coin, and within reason ..it is not the age of the tyre, but rather how it has been stored...temps, how stacked, and sunlight
Hence why in the old days new tyres used to be wrapped.

A tyre stored incorrectly can be useless, potentually dangerous within 12 months.
I still haver good 30 plus yr old 16" crossply tyres stored away for my vintage cars....they maybe skinny things but over 3x the price of the tyres on the camaro.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old May 5th, 11, 07:35 PM
Senior Tech
BJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z15CAM View Post
I've a set of 40 year old P295 x 15 BF Comp T/A's V-Rated which I still use. When new I didn't think twice about hitting 150 mph+. 40 Years later they still look great but think again when the Speed-O approaches 100mph. I'm sure your Circle Check before Driving Any Vehicle will detect Tire Problems.

I take care of these tires every year with a good cleaning and Anti-UV-Rubber treatments.

I did prefer the Old Rayon Belted Radial over these Newer Steel Belted Tires.

BF & MT Build Great Muscle Car Tires for the Street, which last for Years, as long as you don't burn them up ;o)
I agree, It is not practical to get rid of tires on a classic car just because they are a few years old. My cars are just driven locally and no interstates or high speeds and I have used tires that were over ten years old with new looking tread and sidewalls and have never had a problem. I think this subject is overrated by the tire companies to sell tires although if you do interstate driving, I do believe it has merit.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old May 5th, 11, 08:19 PM
Team Member
Jerry R.

It would be interesting to know how many guys here had ever had a blowout in their Camaros. I bet not many others run old tires like we do. These rides have been nice for a long time and we tend to hang on to what still looks good such as tires.
While I respect Royce as an authority since he works in the trade I have a hard time believing these are time bombs. It just doesn't sound right.

my Magnaflow X-pipe system sound clip, click the link

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old May 5th, 11, 11:43 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
When new I didn't think twice about hitting 150 mph+. 40 Years later they still look great but think again when the Speed-O approaches 100mph.
Man talk about stating the obvious...lol
Basically if anyone didnt think that was straight common sence, they need their camaro confisancated, then quietly take around the back and shot.
The camaro so nothing happens to it when the guy drives
And shot to make sure he never gets it back lol
The "approaches 100mph"
In the camaro I now keep it below 85/90 mph and only breif like passing .. on older tyres getting 3 or 4 yrs out
I had a blowout yrs ago back kerb side (drive left hook) cruising around 110.
No big deal...BUT if that was up front..different story.

And the 30+ yr old vintage tyres...the car cruises at 45 mph, top speed 55mph with no head breeze and standing 1/4 in over 33 secs... mechanical drum brakes and suspension designed in 1912.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old May 6th, 11, 06:42 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr68 View Post
It would be interesting to know how many guys here had ever had a blowout in their Camaros. I bet not many others run old tires like we do. These rides have been nice for a long time and we tend to hang on to what still looks good such as tires.
While I respect Royce as an authority since he works in the trade I have a hard time believing these are time bombs. It just doesn't sound right.
It's up to the owner to do what's right for them. As I stated before the tire is not going to suddenly burst into flames when it gets old. If all you do is cruise around town then you will probably be fine with 20 year old tires that "look" like new. If you get out on the highway and build some heat in the tire, all bets are off. It's your car and your family riding in it, personally no way I would run a tire over 8-10 years old period, I don't care how good it looks.

Part of my job is failed tire analysis, looking at what use to be a tire and figuring out why it failed. There are many many reasons why tires fail, some of the tires look like brand new. As I said before there is a lot more to a tire than people realize. I was guilty before as well, once I got into the industry I learned a LOT.

Once again the use of the tire has a huge factor in what you can get away with. If it's a farm truck that never goes over 35mph on the road and spends most of it's time on the farm, run the tires until they rot off, no real risk there. If it's your pride and joy that will see higher speeds or prolonged highway trips, don't risk it.

Look at it this way, how many tire parts do you see laying on country, county, city roads? Not many if any, go out on the highway and how many tire parts do you see laying on and around the highway? Why do you think this is? How many cars and trucks do you see pulled over with flats on the highway? How many on city streets, country roads? There is a reason and it has little to do with debris.

Only you know how your car will be used, do what's right for you.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode