repro tire date code - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old May 31st, 11, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Russ

repro tire date code

Can anyone help decipher what I think is the date code on this repro Firestone redline, F70x14? Not sure who produced them, I got them off the original purchaser. I'm wondering if they are still safe to use. Didn't see much else that looked like a possible date code.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old May 31st, 11, 09:07 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Re: repro tire date code

"5310" is the important part . . . 53rd week of 2010 if I'm not mistaken. Still plenty fresh.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 11, 02:47 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
"5310" is the important part . . . 53rd week of 2010 if I'm not mistaken. Still plenty fresh.
53rd week ? Can you please elaborate on how there were 53 weeks in the year last year or am I missing something ?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 11, 03:56 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

DOT code: All tires for use in the USA have the DOT code, as required by the Department of Transportation (DOT). It specifies the company, factory, mold, batch, and date of production (2 digits for week of the year plus 2 digits for year; or 2 digits for week of the year plus 1 digit for year for tires made prior to 2000). Although not law, some tire manufacturers do not suggest using a "new" tire sitting on the shelf for more than 6 years.

Also,
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/.../brochure.html

When did the original purchaser buy them?
Apparently, Julius Ceasar's calender has been changed and everybody missed the memo.............

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 11, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Russ

I got these around 4 years ago, so definitely not 2010. I thought they were about 1-2 yrs at the time. I was wondering if the CYLD part stood for Calendar Year Letter Date or something like that. I've no idea.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 11, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Could be the last stamp placed in the mold at the last tire batch when the mold was taken out of service and sold later with the same DOT stamp.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 11, 11:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: repro tire date code

It's a restoration or non-OEM highway tire, so the code for date will vary some vs. regular DOT tire markings.
Retreads and others also carry these modified manufactures markings.

The decode would be;
CY = McCREARY TIRE & RUBBER COMPANY (US)
LD = Indiana, PA (where Jimmy Stewart was from ) tire plant
F4 = Firestone model #4
K5 = Mold system K #5
31 = 31st week of year
0 = now the 'bad' news - this points to a pre-2000 manufactured year of 1990 as the year code is a single digit vs. 2 for a post 2000 unit ...
Hopefully these tires are meant to not be used as everyday or at high speed and for mainly display use and the old date doesn't matter - who knows.

If you have any questions of that being the case, I would contact the seller, and/or McCreary, and ask for a clarification of the manufacturing vs. sales date.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 11, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Russ

Thanks John, now I know not to use them on the road.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 11, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Good research, John.

'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode