Confused on backspace - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 11, 03:54 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Send a message via AIM to Winch Send a message via MSN to Winch
Confused on backspace

The more I read the more confuseder I get. I have a 68 original 6 cyl with non-power drums all around. I put disk from an early Monte Carlo on it and found that the original 14x6 wheels wouldn't go in it. They are FC code with 3 3/4 BS. I picked up 2 14x6 code TX that have 3 1/2 BS and they worked on the front. Now I put Hotchkis 2 inch lowering 3 leaf springs in the rear and left the 6 cyl coils in it. I now have 4 14x6 Rally wheels with 235R60 all around and they fit fine. I never measured the BS so I don't know what it is. The rear sits about 1/2 lower than the front. My restorer wants me to get 15x7 and maybe 15x8 for the rear and he suggest 235R60 in the front and 255R60 in the rear.

There is a local guys with 4 15x7 code FW that according to the book is 4 1/4 BS. Will those work in the front with 235R60? How about in the rear with 255R60?

Last edited by Winch; Jun 22nd, 11 at 04:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 11, 04:55 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: Confused on backspace

http://www.vintagewheelworks.com/tech-backspace.php should help you understand the concept, then you will need to figure how much of a positive backspace you need to clear the new discs and suspension. Then find a set of wheels you like.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 11, 05:29 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

The FW wheels and tires you want will be fine on it. Got a set collecting dust in the corner right now myself.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 11, 12:19 AM
Senior Tech
Garth

FW's will work fine. No first hand experience, but have heard of clearance issues with 235's in front. Hopefully some 67/8 owners will chime in, or try a search.....

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 11, 08:00 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Vince

Garage

I have a 67 vert with stock nonpower drums all around... I read every thread on the subject and I could not be more happy with my setup from Coker. You could probably get away with a bit wider and adjust the backspacing on the specs below but this is nicely set up with no rubbing or fender lip rolling. I can also go over a speed bump at and angle and not worry. No reason to try and go big in the front... If you have stock front suspension it won't be a corner carver regardless of tire width.
- Wheels: 15X7 with 4" bs up front, 15X8 with 4.5" bs in the back
- Tires: 215/65/R15 up front, 245/60/R15 in the back

Check this link out...
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...ent/index.html

Vince
69 Base Coupe "The Wrecker" Project -

67 rs/SS L48 4spd Convertible -
- SOLD

Last edited by vincevs; Jun 23rd, 11 at 08:42 AM. Reason: added the link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode