Going from 19's to 15's - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 11, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Sean

Going from 19's to 15's

I have 19 s on my 69 right now..they handle really well but I'm not getting enough wheel clearance when I turn slowly...also the back rim hits the frame sometimes...I have some rally's that I picked up a while back and was wondering what tires have a good sidewalk for cornering...I lik bfg but not sure how they will do on hard cornering..can anyone recommend a good tire for 15 inch rally's?

1969 - 383, 4sp.,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 11, 03:23 PM
Senior Tech
jim

Re: Going from 19's to 15's

BFG's dont do too bad for all the side wall you have with 15's. Great bang for the buck.

67 RS Deluxe Int. A/C car
TKO-600
400 4 bolt block .03 over
Ported 215 Pro1 Platinums
Forged/balanced 400 crank, pistons, 6" rods
286HR cam w/1.6 rckrs LS1 beehives
Forgelines, 18"f 19"r, 4 link w/ minitub
IROC s/gear, 4 wheel discs
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 11, 03:52 PM
Senior Tech
John

FWIW, I've surprised a few Acuras and Infiniti's on freeway on/offramps, them thinking performance starts with a big rim.
Nothing at all wrong with 15" rims.

- John
Misfit tortured soul. Lone wolf. Unicorn.
'67 V8 Camaro - 12637, 797-Z (Parchment), M-M (Royal Plum), 2M, 3K, 5Y

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 11, 03:55 AM
Senior Tech
Tim

BFG Radial T/A in 235/60 R15s are great if you can find them (seem to be on back order or unavailable most places at the moment for some reason), and look good on 15" x 7" Rally wheels if you like an old school appearance.

1969 04A Van Nuys-built Z/28. Cortez Silver with dark blue interior and VE3. Sold Clippinger Chevrolet. Raced at Lions in LA.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 11, 09:10 PM
Senior Tech
Kurt

You did not state any other specifics besides having 19's. Any upgrades or mods to the suspension components, differential, frame, ext..?
If your ride is a stockish setup. Per DSE the largest you can go are 17's.
Click on the FAQ tab in the link below.
http://www.detroitspeed.com/faq/faq.html

With my project I just upgraded from 14's to 17's
I did not want to tub or do several other modifications needed for fitment. Kicked that thought around for a year.
Besides, IMO anything larger than a 17 needs to have that perfect stance and one may have to be selective as how and where they can drive their car.
Maybe I'm wrong?
Unless they are looking for that old horse buggy look. LOL!
Again, IMO if that is the case then they need their head examined.

Front are 17"X8" with a 4.875" BS
Rears are 17"X9.5" with a 5.50" BS
Nitto 555's Front
Nitto 555R's Rears

They fit beautifully.

Kurt
1969RS 14yrs into it.
383CID Lives
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
200R4 Trans, 3:42 Posi 12 Bolt Ready

Cold ones in the fridge. Dam, there gone. BRB

Getting closer to my goal.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 11, 07:37 AM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

BFG T/A's are not being made by Goodrich anymore. The molds have been sold to Coker Tire. Go their website and you will find them there.

Prices from what I see are inline with what they were selling for before.....I expect the price to go up since they are going to be a speciality tire from Coker now but that's just my opinion.

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 11, 05:11 PM
Senior Tech

BFGs are very good tires. I have 245/60/15 on rear and 225/60/15s front. I had rubbing issues with 235s on front before.All on 15 x 7 rallys.

67 Camaro RS 327-275hp th350 3.08 rear gear
2002 Camaro SS LS1 auto
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 11, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Sean

sorry should of specified...The car came with 19s and with 14s as an extra spare....I have rubbing in front and somtimes in the rear....I lowered the car 2 inch in front and 1.5 in rear since then....still rub in front when turning too far...and the rear actually rubs less now....the car handles great....but would like to go with a differnt size ....17 is optimal...and I did buy some rallys in the meantime....might get some bfg and run em on the rallys....or.....buy 17ss...... still depends on the budget

1969 - 383, 4sp.,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode