Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 11, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
BFG TA Radial Tire choice for 69 14x7

Ok finally time for new tires.
I like the look of BF Goodrich TA Radials. From what I can tell the ride is comfortable and the performance is a thousand times better then the originals.

Been poking around and from what I hear and see the BFG TA Radial sized 225/70/14 will fit without any rubbing issues on my factory 14x7 Rally wheels on my 69 Z11. I also don't want to have to change speedo gears etc.

Am I correct?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message

Last edited by 69-Pace; Jul 15th, 11 at 05:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 11, 05:32 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Re: BFG TA Radial Tire choice for 69 14x7

I used 235/60-14 BFG RTA's on my 69 with 14 x 7 rallys with zero rubs. Nice looking tars.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 11, 06:23 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPOS View Post
I used 235/60-14 BFG RTA's on my 69 with 14 x 7 rallys with zero rubs. Nice looking tars.
same here - BFG 235/60-14 Radial TA' s

69 Pace Car and 69 Hard top

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 11, 07:40 PM
Senior Tech
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by srode View Post
Did you use the same size for front and rear???... this size seems a bit wide for the front.. ?

When You Turn Your Car On,, Does It Return The Favor,??.. NO!.. Butt,, I hope to Change That Soon..
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 11, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by srode View Post
Did you have to change out your speedo gear to keep it accurate?

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 11, 10:46 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

I have run (see links in my sig) 14x60x235 for near on 30yrs, on all 4 cnrs
Used to have BF yrs ago, but for road use found them a bit soft and not as long lasting...and bloody expensive in NZ...which is more expensive and short lived if showing off lo
Now I just what ever has white lettring on, and they tend to harder, longe lasting and let loose a LITTLE easier when showing off.

Personally if I did have the extra bucks in the back pocket I would go for the 15 rims..fills the wheel well nicer, and the same width are a damn sight cheaper, easier to get.

Quote:
Only if the diam is different to what u have now....if it is its no big deal...
Take the gear out in the tail shaft, couple minutes, count the teeth.
Mesure the % difference in Circumferance between the old tyres and new, and change the teeth number the same %......assuming the odometer was reading correct before.
OR put the tyres on...simple do a distance check against google earth or known distance....10 miles + work out the % error, count the teeth and change the gear the same %.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 11, 02:16 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonewacky View Post
Did you use the same size for front and rear???... this size seems a bit wide for the front.. ?
Yep, same size front and back - They brushed the vacum can cover for the headlight door a bit on compression when turned to the locks before the restoration but that was with the original coil springs. After a complete rebuild they do not rub anywhere anytime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-Pace View Post
What's a speedo? Seriously, I didn't touch it and it seems to be pretty accurate judged by keeping pace with traffic on the highway at 65 to 70 mph - it might be off a couple mph plus or minus but not by much. I haven't driven it enough to find one of those speed reporting trailers the city and state leave on the roadside to see what it is really doing vs the reported on the speedo but I don't think it's too far off. I guess if compare the original tire circumference to this one it will tell you how close it should be, just never bothered to figure it out.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 11, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Thanks Al, Steve, nice ride Steps

The original F70x14's rated at 769 revs per mile,
the BFG 235/60-14 Radial TA' s rate at 820 revs per mile a difference of 51 revs per mile.

So I guess smaller height of 60 vs. 70, wider stance of 235 vs. 225 would still keep the true MPH lower than factory ties and current speedo calibration.

If I have calculated this right the ride height is about and 1 and 1/2 inches lower then factory stock right?

Steve - you rebuilt coil springs with OEM style or aftermarket parts? I'm concerned that I will also scrub off the RS actuators with the front tires being that wide.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 11, 12:03 PM
Senior Tech

I have on my 69 RS Bf Goodrich T/As with size P225/60R/15 front and P235/60/15 on the back . has 15/7 GM slotted rally rims. front end has aboutone and half in drop . goods cool and never any turning or front problems.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 11, 02:45 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-Pace View Post
Steve - you rebuilt coil springs with OEM style or aftermarket parts? I'm concerned that I will also scrub off the RS actuators with the front tires being that wide.
Brian, they are OEM style springs, front and rear. I think you should be fine with good springs - saggy ones may rub some depending on how old they are.

Based on the tire revs - you should be going about 4 mph slower than the speedo says at 60mph.

The original tires were 26.2 inches and the 235 60 14s are 25.1 inches tall so it should only be a 1/2 inch difference in ride height.

Last edited by srode; Jul 16th, 11 at 03:01 PM.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 11, 09:30 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
nice ride Steps
Thanks..daily driver for 30yrs now

I should have added this before...I have had 14x60x235s all round for yrs nps, tow, farmland, rough gravel roads, tow car for the vintage cars etc...
I did try 14x60x245s yrs ago, on the rear, but a couple ppl in the rear seat, rubbed going over a bump in the road...just touched the shock occassionally and just touched the lip inside the fender

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode