Need some advice - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 11, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Gene

Need some advice

I just installed stock springs #6312, 2" drop spindles, 225-60-15 BFG radial TA tires. I have a slight tire rub when I am the only passenger on hard bumps or sharp turns. Tonight I took my wife and her friend for a drive and the right front was rubbing on most every dip. I have not been able to determine where it is hitting, I think it is probably the outer lip of the fender. The wheels are 15 x 8 with 4.5" backspacing. My question is, do members think going to a 205-60-15 would solve the problem, looks like that is about 1.4"less in height which would give me about 5/8" more clearance and I would gain some clearance by the tire not being quite as wide. I would like to stay with the 15x8's even though they may be a little wide. Could I put a 195 on a 8 inch rim? Just wondering if any one has already dealt with this combination. Any information or recommendations will be appreciated.
Thanks,
gene68ss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 11, 09:04 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Re: Need some advice

It should be fairly obvious on both the tire and fender. I know they have been working on the drop spindles to fix the issue where the tie rod hits the back of the rim with certain setups. Have you checked the back side to see if that's where it's hitting?

If you have standard hex bolts in the fenders those have been known to get caught with certain setups as well. Going to button head allens usually corrects that.

Another thing is if you are running stock alignment is to try to get the camber more negative up to -0.5 which helps the top of the tire lean in more. The stock suspension geometry has the tire moving almost straight up and down which takes more work to fix though.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 11, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Gene

Re: Need some advice

No problem with the tie rods, they are one inch off the wheel/tire. I think the hex bolt may be an issue on turns. It was bearable until I added two passengers and that made the right front rub on any little dip. It sounded like the inner fender but I have not found a mark on the tires or the inner fender. I only have driven a few miles but I know I have to change something to correct this. I had not thought about camber, I just had it aligned and the right front has no shims and the camber is -.07 the left is -0.2. The alignment guy said I would have to have the frame tweaked to be able to get -0.2 on the right front. All other measurements are balanced on the car. I like the look of the 225 but I am hoping a 205 will work; I just don't want to keep buying tires. The radial T/A's have a good look. Thank you for the response, I am going to get out in the garage and see what I can come up with.
gene68ss
http://s1092.photobucket.com/albums/i405/gene68ss/
1968 SS 383 Stroker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode